Are these lights ready for the trash?

Ls400

Enlightened
2010 Corolla. I tried polishing the lens and fiddling with the aim screw but couldn't achieve much of a decent beam pattern. Is this characteristic of the 2010 Corolla lights, or can it do better?

http://imgur.com/gallery/8l5dasq

Also, there seems to be something wrong with the lens on the inside. What's that texture? I can't polish it out, so I'm assuming it's on the inside. Is it another sign these lights are ready for the trash?

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Stick a fork in those lights, they're done. The '10 Corolla lamps are rather good...if they're genuine original-equipment Toyota lamps in good condition, with good bulbs (all the aftermarket lamps are junk). The lenses on yours have crazed; there is no hope or help for them -- replace them. Also, the aim screws are not for "fiddling with". There is one correct aim setting.

Ls400

Enlightened
Stick a fork in those lights, they're done. The '10 Corolla lamps are rather good...if they're genuine original-equipment Toyota lamps in good condition, with good bulbs (all the aftermarket lamps are junk). The lenses on yours have crazed; there is no hope or help for them -- replace them. Also, the aim screws are not for "fiddling with". There is one correct aim setting.

Good to know! I had the displeasure of driving it 1000 miles over the past few days, and things were dire. I purchased 30 dollars worth of headlight polishing kits from Wal-Mart and a 50 dollar pair of 9006 SilverStar Ultras so I could drive more at night and shorten the trip. Neither helped too much. Are you aware of any Corollas with perhaps factory HIDs in other markets that I could swap in? Maybe somewhere in Europe or Japan there's Corollas with HIDs?

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Are you aware of any Corollas with perhaps factory HIDs in other markets that I could swap in?

No such items.

Maybe somewhere in Europe

Not the same Corolla

Headlamps for the wrong side of the road.

I'll speak up a little louder this time: The (US-spec, regular) '10 Corolla lamps are rather good...if they're genuine original-equipment Toyota lamps in good condition, with good bulbs. The problem is that your lamps are past dead.

Ls400

Enlightened
I understand, but the OEM lights are expensive. Granted, hitting a pedestrian is probably more expensive, but...from what I understand, aux low beams are allowed in my area. What if I just put 2 of these on? I could still use my crazed lights as DRLs and for the turn signals. Perhaps I would disconnect the low beams so the crazing wouldn't cause excessive glare at night and just run with the aux low beams?

These would probably be even better than the OEM low beams, would they not? I recall you mentioning that the 2014+ Corollas with the factory LEDs were head and shoulders above the earlier Corollas...the exact phrase was "not even close." And from what I read, Hella is held in high esteem around here. So clearly, there's room to do better with regard to my 2010 Corolla, and I'd want to do as best as I can while not spending too much $.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MFTGQA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I understand, but the OEM lights are expensive.

Yes, maintaining an automobile costs money. Hitting a deer is more expensive than a new set of headlamps. Hitting a person is even more expensive than hitting the deer.

but...from what I understand, aux low beams are allowed in my area. What if I just put 2 of these on?

You'll still have headlamps in lousy condition. Fix the car correctly.

Perhaps I would disconnect the low beams so the crazing wouldn't cause excessive glare at night and just run with the aux low beams?

This idea keeps getting worse the more you develop it. :-(

These would probably be even better than the OEM low beams, would they not?

Probably not, given the severe compromises that would have to be made in mounting and lamp selection.

I recall you mentioning that the 2014+ Corollas with the factory LEDs were head and shoulders above the earlier Corollas...the exact phrase was "not even close."

That would be a good argument for getting a '14+ Corolla, but what does it have to do with your '10?

from what I read, Hella is held in high esteem around here.

Hella makes some very good lamps...and some mediocre ones...and some poor ones.

So clearly, there's room to do better with regard to my 2010 Corolla

How did you get there? I think you are jumping to conclusions not supported by reality. The Hella projector you linked is intended for light-duty, low-demand use on motor tricycles and ATVs. It does not come close to equalling the performance of a stock Corolla headlamp in good condition with a stock bulb, let alone a stock Corolla headlamp in good condition with an appropriately chosen upgrade bulb. And how and where were you planning to mount these Hella projectors, anyway?

Last edited:

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened
I understand, but the OEM lights are expensive. Granted, hitting a pedestrian is probably more expensive

Even relatively minor damage to your car can cost hundreds to repair, but property damage would be the least of your worries.

A few years ago I was doing something embarrassingly stupid and hit my nose. I went to the hospital because there was a gash on the bridge of my nose that wouldn't stop bleeding. An X-ray showed a hairline fracture that didn't require realignment. They gave me three stitches and a prescription for pain killers. It cost my insurance company $900. This is already double what it would cost to replace both of the OEM headlamps on your Corolla.

A friend of mine was riding his motorcycle at about 45mph when a car turned left in front of him at an intersection with no time for him to react. He struck the side of the car and was catapulted up and over and hit the pavement a significant distance away. Despite sustaining several massive life threatening injuries, he survived. The doctors and nurses all told him afterwards that they did not expect him to live. All told, his medical costs came out to around $800,000.

So if you hit a pedestrian at night because you couldn't see him due to your headlamps being in poor condition, what do you reckon it's going to cost you? Even assuming your insurance policy covers the entirety of the medical costs (and it may not - check your coverage limits!), insurance companies tend to dislike having to write 5 or 6 figure checks and they'll express their displeasure by jacking up your premium. And let's not even get into lawsuits...

Also, your car is eight years old. If you put off replacing the headlamps now, in a couple of years you may find new OEM headlamps harder to come by and would cost you more because of it. The OEM's don't keep manufacturing spare parts forever.

eggsalad

Enlightened
I've found genuine Toyota headlamp assemblies to be pretty cheap, when sourced from dealers who sell online. Units for both my '05 Scion xB and my '08 Prius were around $120/ea.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I've found genuine Toyota headlamp assemblies to be pretty cheap, when sourced from dealers who sell online. Units for both my '05 Scion xB and my '08 Prius were around $120/ea.

That is also often true. Let's take a look...yep, it looks to be true in this case, too; bout $150/side. Super reasonable for OE lights:
Left
Right

(those are the ones with the all-chrome trim inside. The ones with black trim cost about $45 more apiece, and there's no advantage, so since cost is a sensitive issue...)

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand, but the OEM lights are expensive.
Yes, because you're getting OEM quality. You're getting the lamps that Toyota certified as compliant with FMVSS108. With aftermarket, you're getting whatever cheap plastics and whatever terrible optics that they can get away with before they dissolve and reassemble the company under a new name.

Perhaps I would disconnect the low beams so the crazing wouldn't cause excessive glare at night and just run with the aux low beams?
Auxiliary low beams are auxiliary. No, don't do that.

These would probably be even better than the OEM low beams, would they not? I recall you mentioning that the 2014+ Corollas with the factory LEDs were head and shoulders above the earlier Corollas...the exact phrase was "not even close."
Get a 2014, then. The 2014 lamps alone don't help your 2010.

Please, just fix your car the right way instead of trying to kludge something together that will make things worse for you, both in seeing and in legal liability. ("Your Honor, the defendant disabled his factory headlamps and relied solely on aftermarket *auxiliary* headlamps, and therefore was negligent when he struck my client's car on the highway.")

Ls400

Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I found some new old stock OEM lamps for 100 each. Now, if I still find the new OEM lamps wanting in performance, what are some good suggestions for aux low beams? Are those Hella 60mms fine, or should I look for something else?

Also, is there a coating I could perhaps put on the lights to delay the onset of crazing? I've had many cars and I've never had any with crazed lights. Not even 20-year-old cars with their original plastic lens!

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are those Hella 60mms fine, or should I look for something else?
The Hella projector you linked is intended for light-duty, low-demand use on motor tricycles and ATVs. It does not come close to equalling the performance of a stock Corolla headlamp in good condition with a stock bulb, let alone a stock Corolla headlamp in good condition with an appropriately chosen upgrade bulb.
Look for something else.

Also, is there a coating I could perhaps put on the lights to delay the onset of crazing?
I think you pressed way, way too hard when polishing the lenses and put those fine cracks in it yourself.

Ls400

Enlightened
I think you pressed way, way too hard when polishing the lenses and put those fine cracks in it yourself.

The weird "texture" which I learned to be crazing was present before I started polishing. I thought they were simply dirty and in need of a scrubbing before I started. Regardless, I did learn from my research that crazing means there's a network of fine cracks in the plastic, so I'll keep in mind not to press super hard while polishing in the future as to not overly stress and crack the plastic.

There's a spray by Meguiars which promises 1 year of headlight protection and it's tested per ASTM G154-12a. Does that mean anything worthwhile?

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I found some new old stock OEM lamps for 100 each.

There is no such thing as "new old stock" for a 2010 Corolla. Those lamps are still in production and readily available.

Now, if I still find the new OEM lamps wanting in performance, what are some good suggestions for aux low beams?

Dude: drop the idea of auxiliary low beams. It's not going to work out. Upgrade the new headlamps with this bulb in the low beam and this one in the high beam, trimmed as per this guide.

Whichever bulbs you have, standard or these high-output ones, you will need to have the lamps aimed carefully and correctly, as per this page.

Are those Hella 60mms fine, or should I look for something else?

See post #7. Asking the same question multiple times because you don't like the answer and are hoping for a different one is not a mature tack to take; please stop doing that.

Also, is there a coating I could perhaps put on the lights to delay the onset of crazing?

No. Crazing cannot be prevented by a coating. The lamps are already hardcoated; there is nothing you should add. Crazing happens when the lenses get overheated (for example: over-aggressive polishing) and/or exposed to harsh chemical agents (for example: acetone).

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive been following this since day one and im seriously concerned. There is no way you can see crap with your headlights so damaged. I know not everyone has a ton of money lying around but go to the parts shop and get you some new headlight assemblies. literally on rock auto right now for anywhere from 49-190 dollars for your vehicle depending on what all you need. Dont hurt yourself or anyone else.

Ls400

Enlightened
Did you edit post 7 and add the part about the 60mms bring suitable only for extremely small vehicles? I don't believe I saw it the first time. Sorry for asking about aux low beams often. I don't think your vigorous condemnation of the aux lights were there the first time. The reason I'm interested in further improvements to OEM lights is that even with properly aimed lights on a 13 rav4, I still find it hard to see at night. There was a pedestrian the other day which I didn't see until he was just a few feet away from the edge of my bumper. He was just standing on the side of the highway off ramp for some reason. If he had been more centered in the off ramp then things might have been different. Perhaps my subjective impression of the situation is flawed, or perhaps I shouldn't be driving at night, or perhaps I need more lighting than other because of my astigmatism, or whatever. I don't know.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you edit post 7 and add the part about the 60mms bring suitable only for extremely small vehicles? I don't believe I saw it the first time.
Last edited by -Virgil-; 10-14-2018 at 07:01 PM. I can't tell what was edited, though. Still, it was before post #12.

Have you brought up your night vision concerns with your optometrist? Is the exterior glass clean inside and out? Are your dashboard lights (and the "infotainment display" stuff if you have it) dimmed down, or are they excessively bright?

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
literally on rock auto right now for anywhere from 49-190 dollars for your vehicle depending on what all you need.
Genuine OEM, and OEM only. Not these $49.00 lamp-shaped toys.

Dont hurt yourself or anyone else.
But, yes, it's time to get the headlighting system back up to factory-new and then go from there if further changes are needed.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Did you edit post 7 and add the part about the 60mms bring suitable only for extremely small vehicles?

No, I edited post 7 to fix a spelling error.

The reason I'm interested in further improvements to OEM lights is that even with properly aimed lights on a 13 rav4, I still find it hard to see at night.

Good idea to have a thorough eye exam if it's been awhile. Even under the best of circumstances, people with very good vision can't see everything they need to at night. We kill way too many pedestrians with cars, and it's a miracle we don't kill more than we do.