Diy P60 questions

Weld Inspector

Enlightened
Looking at assembling my own P60 would like to do a warm triple or quad, I think I have the emitter decided as the xmL2 U4, with a single cell set up having trouble determining what driver would work for this

Last edited:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I've built a driver that could do that, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it for this.

What current are you planning on running at?

At full power, even a triple XML2 could suck the best 18650 dry in 20 minutes or so, but most P60-sized lights would overheat long before that.

thslw8jg

Enlightened
I don't believe there are triple(20mm) or quad(22mm) MCPCB's available for an XM-L footprint as well as optics that will fit an XM-L dome without modding the optics. The area available on a 20 or 22mm board is limited. You may want to look at an XP-L emitter, these have the same die size as an XM-L but mounted on an XP-G/Nichia 219 footprint.
Do you want a regulated output or direct drive or both?

Last edited:

Weld Inspector

Enlightened
A carlco triple wont fit xml2?

Ive noticed the lack of 20 mm mcpcb as well

Came across adventure sports' 17mm mosfet looks like that driver would work now finding the mcpcb I think.is the next challenge

As far as regulated or direct drive def regulated with multi mode capabilities

thslw8jg

Enlightened
The 20mm optics are made to fit the XP/Nichia dome size. Check out mountain electronics, they have a nice assortment of drivers both regulated and FET and also carry the. Dr. Jones H17F, fully regulated to 3amps and DD FET as well as fully programmable modes. They also carry the copper XP/Nichia 219 triple & quad 20mm copper mcpcb's and optics. Not sure if they carry the warm XP-L emitters but mouser electronics probably have them in stock.
You will need some good 30 amp cells like the Sony VTC 5a or Samsung 25R to power this drop-in. Several of my XP-L triple builds pull 20+ amps on hi. Kaidomain has a descent variety of emitters but they are overseas and shipping usually takes 2-4 weeks.
Do you have a copper drop-in already?

Last edited:

Weld Inspector

Enlightened
No this will be my first p60 build

I sent an email to vihn and asked if he had a mcpcb of this sort built and the price for one

thslw8jg

Enlightened
Mountain electronics is out of stock in the warm white XP-L emitters, mouser has the XP-L warm white emitters in stock 3000k 90 CRI

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
XPL, XPL-Hi, Nichia219C are all good choices.

This on MTN is a good start. Search for ) CREE XP-L High-Intensity U4 3000K 80+ CRI LEDs on MTN 3XP MCPCB
(3) CREE XP-L High-Intensity U4 3000K 80+ CRI LEDs on MTN 3XP MCPCB

Weld Inspector

Enlightened
Ok so looks like I will be going with the xpl hi thank you for your help everyone ill comment back after I receive and assemble everything and comment on my results