2017 Ford Flex options

Duodec

Newly Enlightened
My 2002 Jeep died suddenly, and the winner of the 'get a replacement car fast!' search was a 2017 Ford Flex SEL, my first Ford ever, with halogen headlights. They were rather anemic, and I see now, having just found the recent topic about them, that the IIHS ratings called them poor. The Jeep's were somewhat better in use, at least after upgrading with a relay kit and using the Philips XTreme Vision bulbs recommended here. I'm actually turning on the Ford's 'fog' lights in very dark driving just to get some 'corner' lighting

I've been off these boards for a while but checked to see if there are any viable upgrades for just the bulb; sadly the moderators are very clear that there are still no legal/safe LED options, so I put in a pair of the Philips 9008 Xtreme Vision bulbs (which made a noticeable difference in brightness but not pattern, as expected, as the 9007 version did for the Jeep). Installation was a bit painful due to lack of space and the red silicone gasket from the old bulbs sticking in the housings; I didn't notice at first.

I'm curious if the factory projector assemblies that were optional for the SEL and standard on the Limited could be retrofitted (assuming I can find them at a supportable price, like catching a lucky break at a wrecking yard). Are there computer issues with that change?

Also if its known if there are any computer issues with installing a headlight relay kit. The Jeep definitely put out more light with the home-made relay kit I put in it (Bosch relays, heavy gauge wires, should have pulled it before I let the carcass go)

I keep finding info on the earlier generation Flex projector headlights (2013 and earlier I believe) and not much usable on the newer ones.

Thanks for any info.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
They were rather anemic, and I see now, having just found the recent topic about them, that the IIHS ratings called them poor.
They were marginal, but were tested without aim verification/correction. It's anyone's guess if they are aimed properly or not, and it's not safe to assume that any particular new car has correct aim.

I'm actually turning on the Ford's 'fog' lights in very dark driving just to get some 'corner' lighting
You're actually making it worse for yourself. The areas lit by the fog lamps are not where you should be looking while driving in conditions for which fog lamps are designed. If you are driving slowly, and turning a corner in some residential area and need a little more width to see as you go around it, perhaps turning them on while looking into that corner isn't so bad. But leaving them on, no. Don't leave them on.

I put in a pair of the Philips 9008 Xtreme Vision bulbs (which made a noticeable difference in brightness but not pattern...)
A slight difference in pattern CAN occur, but it may be hard to detect. The difference occurs because of the tighter hotspot and higher filament placement precision.

I'm curious if the factory projector assemblies that were optional for the SEL and standard on the Limited could be retrofitted (assuming I can find them at a supportable price, like catching a lucky break at a wrecking yard).
Probably would be straightforward, and without computer issues (if there are, there may be computer setting the dealer could do).

Also if its known if there are any computer issues with installing a headlight relay kit. The Jeep definitely put out more light with the home-made relay kit I put in it (Bosch relays, heavy gauge wires, should have pulled it before I let the carcass go)
Usually not.

I keep finding info on the earlier generation Flex projector headlights (2013 and earlier I believe) and not much usable on the newer ones.
If some of the "info" is from forums and people taking it all apart, then what they may be saying could be wrong or right-- the newer stuff people just haven't gotten around to tearing apart yet.

Duodec

Newly Enlightened

THanks for that. Appears the prices on Ebay and a very quick check there are comparable; decent ones will be 1200 and up for the pair ($2000 from a lot of the vendors). I'm hoping to get lucky and find some for under 6-800 or so even if I've got to search a while. Or until I've got that much to spend after paying for this year old car. Only OEMs, I've read enough here about third party options (even if someone made them for this car).

Alaric,
thanks for your responses too. I did a quick garage door check on the headlights and they're not spot on but fairly close. I'll locate a shop in the area with the equipment to do a proper aiming as soon as I can.

Also, I wasn't clear on the fogs. I do perhaps overuse them but they're not on all the time at night; I only use them on the really dark residential roads or really dark twisty country roads, admittedly not _just_ while approaching and turning corners. The Jeep, even without its fog lights on seemed to provide a lower intensity but noticeable swath near left and right and 16 years of that leaves me edgy when I can't see _anything_ outside the more narrow fields of light from the Ford.

Thanks

Rich

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
THanks for that. Appears the prices on Ebay and a very quick check there are comparable; decent ones will be 1200 and up for the pair ($2000 from a lot of the vendors). I'm hoping to get lucky and find some for under 6-800 or so even if I've got to search a while. Or until I've got that much to spend after paying for this year old car. Only OEMs, I've read enough here about third party options (even if someone made them for this car).
It's a pretty new car so replacement parts will be pretty high. If you can find an LKQ Pick Your Part that has one that was rear-ended, you might be in luck but that headlighting system might go pretty quickly.

I did a quick garage door check on the headlights and they're not spot on but fairly close.
Fairly close usually means terrible-- definitely get that real aim done.

I only use them on the really dark residential roads or really dark twisty country roads, admittedly not _just_ while approaching and turning corners
Which is overusing them. Turning them on for a slow turn at a stop sign, or pulling into a driveway with steep curbs or a scary dropoff is one thing, but just on all the time really degrades your distance vision.

Duodec

Newly Enlightened
It's a pretty new car so replacement parts will be pretty high. If you can find an LKQ Pick Your Part that has one that was rear-ended, you might be in luck but that headlighting system might go pretty quickly.

Thanks for the reference; I never heard of them before. The two local pickaparts don't have any Flex models (they are not exactly common though I see more of them now that I'm in one). LKQ doesn't either but its not that far away and its a third option to keep an eye on.

I'm checking local shops for the aiming job. My regular mechanic already said no go, he doesn't have the equipment, and says I should go to the dealership. Hopefully there's some reviews or recommendations out there for alternatives.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reference; I never heard of them before. The two local pickaparts don't have any Flex models (they are not exactly common though I see more of them now that I'm in one). LKQ doesn't either but its not that far away and its a third option to keep an eye on.
You can sign up for alerts-- and be prepared to move fast if one goes off for the model you want (and keep checking manually) because things can go very, very fast.

I'm checking local shops for the aiming job. My regular mechanic already said no go, he doesn't have the equipment, and says I should go to the dealership.
Supposedly, VW dealerships are supposed to have the right equipment. Your mileage may vary. Past performance is no guarantee of future performance.