Zebralight SC64w HI

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I lost my last cr123 pocket light so I'm now ready to go back to solely 18650 powered lights. I was just about to get a SC64w but then noticed on their website (on the compare models spreadsheet) they say an SC64w HI is going to be released this month!

Any details on it or a known release date?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was considering getting the 64w HI, but then I thought it would be redundant since I already have the 600w MkIV HI.

The 600w HI is a great outdoor light, but not really too good for EDC. The hotspot is too narrow for close-up lighting, so I think the 64w with its traditional floody-ish beam makes a better EDC.

But I guess if you want a very small thrower for outside, the 64w HI could be good.

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I tend to like as throwy a light as possible because it allows you to use a lower brightness setting, especially at medium and long ranges. I use my 18650 almost exclusively outdoors. Can't wait!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, I may have to reconsider, and get the 64w HI. On the spreadsheet, the minimum output is listed as 0.01 lumens, rather than the 0.07 lumens that the 64 and MkIV lights all have. I find the 0.07 lumen output to be too bright for middle-of-the-night. If the 64w HI really does have a lower output than the 64w, it might make a better light for moonlight lovers.

I guess I'll wait for a real test from someone who gets it first.

holygeez03

Enlightened
If I end up with the 64wHI... my usage will be H52Fw/SC600IV Plus/SC64wHI

Should be a pretty good combo... my SC62w will go into a car or backpack.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to like as throwy a light as possible because it allows you to use a lower brightness setting, especially at medium and long ranges. I use my 18650 almost exclusively outdoors. Can't wait!

I also tend to buy light that throw rather than flood. You can always make a throwy light floody by adding Scotch tape or other films. But you can't make a floody throw.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also tend to buy light that throw rather than flood. You can always make a throwy light floody by adding Scotch tape or other films. But you can't make a floody throw.

True, but the HI emitters are less efficient than the regular domed emitters. And, adding a diffuser will cut down quite a bit on output.

I'm not sure scotch tape is a good idea with lights that get hot. I'd be concerned that the tape would melt or burn and mess up the lens.

But in a pinch, sure, a diffuser can be useful. You can use an old laptop or smart phone screen, and take out the diffuser film that it uses. It makes for a pretty good solution.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, but the HI emitters are less efficient than the regular domed emitters. And, adding a diffuser will cut down quite a bit on output.

I'm not sure scotch tape is a good idea with lights that get hot. I'd be concerned that the tape would melt or burn and mess up the lens.

But in a pinch, sure, a diffuser can be useful. You can use an old laptop or smart phone screen, and take out the diffuser film that it uses. It makes for a pretty good solution.

Scotch tape is not a good idea for high mode but great for Low and Med. Those are my most used modes. I honestly don't buy Zebralight for high mode use.

markr6

Flashaholic
d-c-fix is MUCH better than scotch tape. It doesn't melt on the highest modes, doesn't come off, but will come off cleanly IF you want it too. No goo to pick at, just one clean piece. The results are better too with less output lost and smooth beam with a little hotspot still evident.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
d-c-fix is MUCH better than scotch tape. It doesn't melt on the highest modes, doesn't come off, but will come off cleanly IF you want it too. No goo to pick at, just one clean piece. The results are better too with less output lost and smooth beam with a little hotspot still evident.

D-C-Fix works good. I read about them. Didn't try it tho. I wonder does it has GITD version of D-C-Fix.

likethevegetable

Enlightened

DC-Fix is pretty darn efficient. I wouldn't say the output compromise is quite a bit, I would say it's quite small of a compromise. (alas, it kinda does defeat the purpose of a high intensity beam…). I would not hesitate to recommend DC-Fix to anyone who wants a smoother beam, even if their primary concern is total output.

I have an H53c + DC-Fix and H53Fc. Comparing them side-by-side, the H53c+DC has a slightly more defined hotspot with a slight hotspot shadow compared to the H53Fc, and actually throws just slightly farther than it while offering a similar beam breadth, but the spill is not quite as bright and smooth. Comparing the H53c (sans DC-Fix) with the H53Fc, the throw actually isn't compromised a whole lot, and spill of the H53Fc is significantly brighter. The comparison of the H53c to H53Fc shows unperceivable compromise in total output, and the H53Fc to H53c+DC also shows an unperceivable compromise. This leads me to believe that the efficiency of DC-Fix is for all intents and purposes, comparable to ZebraLight's frosted optics, which are highly efficient.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet! I love my SC600w HI Mk IV. It's been my favorite flashlight for a while now even though my first 2 were defective. I guess/hope ZL worked out the problem. A smaller version of that light would be very very interesting to me!!! I go camping once a month, backpacking at least 3 times per year, and primarily use a headlight (ZL H52w or H600w MkII) and love having a throwy handheld along for these trips. Hope this new one becomes my new favorite, and I hope they don't have the same stupid defects that 4 of the new ones I bought had.

Flashlike

Enlightened
This is really interesting. I inquired with Zebralight back in September, asking them if they were going to introduce any upgraded versions of their "SC" series flashlights later this year -- in particular the SC64W. Their reply was "No plans for any updated SC's this year". This model was exactly what I was hoping for (an SC64w HI)! :thumbsup:

markr6

Flashaholic
With an SC64w and SC600w IV HI, I originally said I didn't need this. But now I'm not so sure...it'll be hard to resist!

holygeez03

Enlightened
Anxiously awaiting beam reports... I would be forever grateful if someone could compare the beam to an older SC62w... and it would also be helpful for me to compare it to the SC600w IV Plus and HI to see where it falls.

markr6

Flashaholic
You may be waiting for a rather long time with ZL's typical turnaround.

They're been really good on the past few introductions, even putting them up for sale before anyone expected. I'm guessing not much into November on these two.