Tech help - identifying a charging chip?

zippy_un

Newly Enlightened
Hello

I wonder if anyone can help?
I have a cheapy Aldi or LIDL work light that has stopped working. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and I'd like to have a stab at fixing it.

I'm presuming it got plugged into the wrong power supply an it popped the charging chip.

zfADNGSh.jpg

OMtMja4h.jpg

h36BsRMh.jpg

I've had a search for the number on charging board but can't find anything.
There's not a lot left of the chip to get any numbers from.

I wonder if anyone has similar and can check the numbers, or knows any more detail that would help me track down a new chip?

Cheers!

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you please confirm what type of battery is used in the light, and how many cells, and if in series or parallel?

(I'm suspecting 1 li-ion cell so far)

zippy_un

Newly Enlightened
Can you please confirm what type of battery is used in the light, and how many cells, and if in series or parallel?

(I'm suspecting 1 li-ion cell so far)

Correct.
Blue shrink wrapped plastic
JETPOWER BATTERY
Li-ion 1000mAh 3.7V 3.7Wh
WLC-18650-1000 (1IXR 19/66)

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks like one of those common 6 pin sot-23 style li-ion charger ICs.
It's impossible to identify which IC as it is burnt up - but if you look around at a few of them on the market and trace the connections comparing to the datasheet, you should be able to find a compatible part. Replacing that part should fix it.
Are there any other burnt parts?

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please can you provide a high resolution, in focus picture of both sides of the PCB with good lighting?
We can help you to trace out the board and find a chip that will be compatible.

The one you have found might not have the correct pin-out for your board - it also has very low charging current so charge time will be long (about 1000mAh / 180ma = 5.5 to 6 hours)
If we cannot find a chip with the correct pinout, we can rewire the board to work with a different (but similar) IC.

Microa

Enlightened
Yes, the link is for TP4057. The resister R2 is employed to set the charging current. Adjust the charging current according to the specifications of the battery.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rest of the board looks fine, so replacing that part should restore full functionality.

zippy_un

Newly Enlightened
Thank you everyone, there are 5 on their way to me via a slow boat from China. So a couple of spares to practice on :whistle: