Light with throwy flood

Phaetos

Enlightened
Woods back up to our house, maybe 20 yards to the first woodline with a field off to the left and the secondary woodline being about 200-300 ft away. We've sighted a coyote or two and a pack of dogs coming out there. We have our own pets and a motion floodlight on the back of the house, but it doesn't get out that far.

Im looking for a handheld light with a simple on/off clicky with on being full power all the time. Runtime is not an issue, it will be for spotting out the property at night before taking the pets out on leashes. LED, cool white, throwy with a good flood pattern. Budget around $80.

Any takers? I have an older Fenix something, but it doesn't quite get there on the distance.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Save up for a Malkoff ?

M61 ~ 300' ~ $115
M61T ~ 450' ~ $140
M61HOT ~ 600' ~ $150
HD ~ 1000' ~ $190
SHD ~ 1500' ~ $270

I realize these are over budget, but it should be a "buy once" item ....

EDIT ... to add that the M61 and the HD, from the above list, will most closely match the beam shape you want ;)

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
I've got two lights in my house that might meet those kinds of needs...one is more expensive and maybe more convenient, the other is a less expensive but very capable value.

The Acebeam L16 has a USB charger, decent throw/flood mix, and the UI is awesome. That is, the tailcap switch is turbo, no matter what, every time. The light is useful for around-the-house tasks at lower-than-turbo settings because it has a secondary side button: click it to turn on, hold down to cycle through brightness settings, click to turn off. Easy. But, it comes at a price--outside your budget by $20 including batteries.

Well under your budget, my other recommendation loses the USB charging (charge batteries in an external charger), and the UI is more traditional: double click always brings you to turbo, but a single click brings you back to whatever brightness you were using last time. Hold down the button to ramp up and down in brightness--very cool, but maybe not what you're looking for. If you always leave it on turbo, then that UI is just peachy. There are lots of lights in this category, but I think its one of the best cost-performance ratios in flashlights--the Emisar D1s. It is only $35 (without batteries), and might look a little large to you. So, maybe consider the Emisar D1, also $35, smaller size, less throw and a little more spill (but still pretty throwy).

That's just what I have in my collection. So, stay tuned for other good options--there are lots that others have in this category. Best of luck!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I might get slack for this but I'm telling you the new crop of mag lights are awesome. The 3 D model will throw 300 plus yards and has a very good flood. Super bright as well.

Phaetos

Enlightened
Save up for a Malkoff ?

M61 ~ 300' ~ $115
M61T ~ 450' ~ $140
M61HOT ~ 600' ~ $150
HD ~ 1000' ~ $190
SHD ~ 1500' ~ $270

I realize these are over budget, but it should be a "buy once" item ....

EDIT ... to add that the M61 and the HD, from the above list, will most closely match the beam shape you want ;)

Malkoff seems to offering a new buyer discount, 20% off first purchase. Might sway me that way, but they seem to be rated at only 480 lumens.

Phaetos

Enlightened
I've got two lights in my house that might meet those kinds of needs...one is more expensive and maybe more convenient, the other is a less expensive but very capable value.

The Acebeam L16 has a USB charger, decent throw/flood mix, and the UI is awesome. That is, the tailcap switch is turbo, no matter what, every time. The light is useful for around-the-house tasks at lower-than-turbo settings because it has a secondary side button: click it to turn on, hold down to cycle through brightness settings, click to turn off. Easy. But, it comes at a price--outside your budget by $20 including batteries.

Well under your budget, my other recommendation loses the USB charging (charge batteries in an external charger), and the UI is more traditional: double click always brings you to turbo, but a single click brings you back to whatever brightness you were using last time. Hold down the button to ramp up and down in brightness--very cool, but maybe not what you're looking for. If you always leave it on turbo, then that UI is just peachy. There are lots of lights in this category, but I think its one of the best cost-performance ratios in flashlights--the Emisar D1s. It is only $35 (without batteries), and might look a little large to you. So, maybe consider the Emisar D1, also $35, smaller size, less throw and a little more spill (but still pretty throwy).

That's just what I have in my collection. So, stay tuned for other good options--there are lots that others have in this category. Best of luck!

I like The ui options on the acebeam light. Pretty simple, need it to be for the wife. If she has to click thru to get where she wants it, she won't use it. But it's pricey.

The emisars seem seem like a good option, but are out of stock. I need to make an order like yesterday.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff Hound Dog is what came to my mind but as archimedes illustrated it is over your budget. You have the choice of the MD4 body or the 18650 (MD2) depending on your battery preferences. It might be worth your while in the long run to spend a the extra money and get the quality and reliability of a Malkoff.

EDIT to add:

The Hound Dog runs between 1000 - 1200 lumens. The M61s are a cheaper option than the Hound Dog but I don't think they will give you the throw your looking for.

Last edited:

Phaetos

Enlightened

What about the t16s from acebeam?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Malkoff seems to offering a new buyer discount, 20% off first purchase. Might sway me that way, but they seem to be rated at only 480 lumens.
Well, for me, 450 measured out-the-front real lumens is ... a lot :shrug:

How many lumens do you need, or want ?

Candlestick

Newly Enlightened
I am eying a zebralight sc600w mk IV HI for the same purpose, a really bright light with a decent throw, hopefully without the tunnel vission effect of dedicated throw lights. I have to reccomend that you find a good High CRI light, it is much easier to spot wildlife and details!

Phaetos

Enlightened

Umm, sun bright? 😂 I don't just want the beam to "reach" the woodline by default due to light moving in a single direction, I want it to be BRIGHT where the light hits the woods.

Candlestick

Newly Enlightened

^This, when you get a Chinese knockoff light, their posted 1000 lumens is theoretical, not accouning for losses through the reflector and window, and probably steps down to sub 300 lumens within 30 seconds. Plus quality over quantity plays a bigger role as you go brighter.

Phaetos

Enlightened
I've been looking at the fenix lights too. My old T1 still goes strong, but even with new batteries on high, it won't reach as far as I want it to. The newer lights at fenix are much improved and are still very reasonably priced. Are Fenix still gtg?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Coast Polysteel 650 might do the trick. 800' range.

Adjustable focus.

Always comes on in high.