Halogen capsule bends inside the envelope glass.

xchcui

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

As may you see at the attached photo,one of my halogen bulb
has a bending capsule inside the envelope glass.
This halogen bulb is designed for home use etc.
The bulb is turn-on,but the capsule is very close to the envelope glass.Will this situation reduce the bulb service-life?will it cause the glass envelope to crack?will the conductors,at the bending point,will break?

Thanks.
2Cxgsmt
648029.jpg
740245.jpg

LRJ88

Enlightened
It might pop off after a while if you're unlucky, i'm no expert but it doesn't seem it'll affect it too much unless the extra heat near part of the bulb will affect it negatively.

xchcui

Newly Enlightened
Hi LRJ88.

Yes,the fact that the capsule is now so close to the envelope make me wonder if the heat might crack the envelope or influence the bulb in some way,since i know that the envelope is not made to stand high temperature as the capsule glass,which made of quartz.And what about the bending conductors?could this bending might cause
them to break or something?

Last edited:

LRJ88

Enlightened
I'm honestly not sure, if it were me i'd rather be safe than sorry and discard the bulb rather than risk it blow up somewhere and possibly causing damage to me or my home. Where will you be using the bulb?

xchcui

Newly Enlightened
Yes,you are right.The bulb was going to be installed above us,so
It may be very dangerous indeed.
I will take your advice and i won't use this bulb.

Thank,LRJ88,for your advice.

broadgage

Enlightened
I would be happy to use the bulb like that, but ONLY if it can be installed such that the inner halogen capsule is near the bottom of the outer bulb.
OR I would use it I an enclosed fixture that would contain the pieces if it shatters.

I would not use the bulb in an open fixture with the inner halogen capsule close to the top of the outer bulb since I would expect that the extra heat might shatter the bulb.

JoakimFlorence

Newly Enlightened
Most likely it will be okay if the bulb is facing downwards, because heat rises (there are rarified gases inside that bulb, and I would guess it's not as low pressure as an old style bulb because the filament is contained inside its own separate capsule).
If the distance between the capsule and the envelope glass was less than 1cm I would be less sure.