Bad Eneloop?

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got a new Miboxer C2-4000 charger and decided to use it to charge 2 of my AA eneloops (white, made in Japan, 1900mah, bought it around 2016) last night . After it was fully charged, the MAH indicated it was only at 745mah/748?? I never abuse my batteries. What happened? Can it be save?

markr6

Flashaholic
That's far off, but it's worth discharging and recharging to see if it was just a fluke with the charger.

Of course, it depends on the charge state when you started charging. If the battery was already half drained when starting, that would make sense. And remember, DISCHARGING from 100% gives a more accurate representation of capacity.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang, not sure if this charger has a discharge function...

Let me read more about the charger. Sure hope it's a fluke or the charger only shows what was charged.

It doesn't have discharge function. Only has repair function but that's only for Li-ion (protected only).

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like your cell was already 40% full. Your charger can only show what charge it delivers to the cell, so if a 1000mah cell is 90% full the charger will only be able to put 100mah into it. Knowing the amount of charge delivered is more useful when charging pairs of matched cells, so you can see that they are performing in a similar way.
Now you know that you charger does the Discharge / charge thing you'll be able to measure the real capacity.
I often wonder if too much information from chargers is a good thing, it just seems to stress people out.
P

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I often wonder if too much information from chargers is a good thing, it just seems to stress people out.

I agree! I used to be in that camp. It got pretty ridiculous. An occasional discharge just to satisfy your curiosity is nice.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree! I used to be in that camp. It got pretty ridiculous. An occasional discharge just to satisfy your curiosity is nice.

Yeah, but would you trade the occasional minor frustration of rechargeable batteries, for a lifetime of ONLY using disposable alkaline and expensive lithium primary batteries? There's probably an equal amount of frustration that goes along with using disposable primary batteries, such as when you go back and forth with yourself on whether to put fresh batteries into your device, or leave in the partially used one's that could give out at some point, most likely when you are out taking pictures or listening to music, without replacements nearby.

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah, but would you trade the occasional minor frustration of rechargeable batteries, for a lifetime of ONLY using disposable alkaline and expensive lithium primary batteries? There's probably an equal amount of frustration that goes along with using disposable primary batteries, such as when you go back and forth with yourself on whether to put fresh batteries into your device, or leave in the partially used one's that could give out at some point, most likely when you are out taking pictures or listening to music, without replacements nearby.

No wouldn't want to do that. I wasn't talking about going to primaries, but rather using a simple charger vs. getting into the analyzers with all kinds of functions. What I'm saying is, these days all I do it top off the cell. In the past I was analyzing, sorting, labeling cells, etc. For no reason really.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,

You're right. it was half depleted. And the 745 mah was what was charged. I did a discharge/recharge; one has 16xx and the other has 17xx mah... So, they are still good.