BB Nexgen 500 Question

lava

Newly Enlightened
I have a UV LED with a nominal current of 500mA and Vf of 5V. I'd like to run it off of a single 18650. Ready to pull the trigger on a BB Nexgen 500, but wanted to do a final check here before I do:

The BB Nexgen will boost my 18650 voltage to the LED Vf, and provide a constant current of 500mA to the LED - right?

Last edited:

lava

Newly Enlightened
Ok, got the Nexgen in the mail... the components go all the way to the edge of the PCB, so it can't sit on a rim inside a driver cavity like I'm used to with other drivers. How do people go about mounting these in a flashlight if that's the case?

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put the driver in a can and fill the can with epoxy. The back of the driver is resting at the rim inside the can. Take a look here.

Last edited:

lava

Newly Enlightened
Ah, makes sense. Where is the best place to get cans? That short Ecan looks like just what I need.

Last edited:

lava

Newly Enlightened
Just found a few cans on the Sandwich Shoppe, but no dimensions posted with them so I can't tell if they'll work for my purposes. Would love to know of other sources. Searching for "can" here on CPF brings up way too many unrelated posts.

lava

Newly Enlightened
Thank you! There is also no wiring diagram for the Nexgen 500 on the Sandwich Shoppe site. Do you perhaps have one?

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you! There is also no wiring diagram for the Nexgen 500 on the Sandwich Shoppe site. Do you perhaps have one?

I do. :) Send me your email address and I'll mail you a pdf file containing the wiring info for all Dat2zip drivers.