Unlimited budget AA/14500 or similar EDC light

diablo266

Newly Enlightened
Unlimited budget within reason I suppose (lets say $1k US or less). I'm having a really difficult time finding anything D25A size or smaller, Hi CRI, Neutral that outperforms my current D25A Mk. II Clicky AL & Ti 219c lights. The closest thing size and output wise I've been able to dig up is the Muyshondt Aeon Mk. III S2, but even it runs on annoying proprietary batteries (I prefer 14500's). It's extremely difficult to drop $500 on that light and risk a 10% restocking fee at minimum just to be possibly let down by its performance compared to the D25A.

Ideal imaginary light:
200+ lumens
HI-CRI Neutral
14500 compatible
D25A size or smaller
HDS style rotary interface
Open to minor variances to this list

Anyways, there's no way my exact wish list exists but perhaps there's something close I've been unable to find? Thanks for any help!

archimedes

Flashaholic
Unlimited budget within reason I suppose (lets say $1k US or less)....

Ideal imaginary light:
200+ lumens
HI-CRI Neutral
14500 compatible
D25A size or smaller
HDS style rotary interface
Open to minor variances to this list

Anyways, there's no way my exact wish list exists but perhaps there's something close I've been unable to find? Thanks for any help!

How important is the criterion in bold (relative to the others listed) , and how flexible ?

Last edited:

diablo266

Newly Enlightened
How important is the criterion in bold (relative to the others listed) , and how flexible ?

Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty flexible on the interface, rotary is always my first choice but I know it's hard to come by.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty flexible on the interface, rotary is always my first choice but I know it's hard to come by.
Yes, a smooth variable Rotary UI is uncommon and mostly limited to larger flashlights than you are requesting here.

If a small torch with this is your top priority, the (discontinued) SureFire Titan T1A is worth searching out. The trade-offs include giving up tint, max output, and preferred battery type.

You could get pretty close to what you want with a Peak Eiger (or Logan 17500) ... but then you give up the "smooth" adjustment.

If high-end fit and finish is more important (given the generous budget you've listed) and you can accept lower output, no 14500 compatibility, and progressive twisty UI ... maybe a Tain Flute (although sold-out from the maker)

HDS itself is likely too big, and wrong battery type, to match up well. Most older JetBeam / SunWayMan rotaries are also bigger than you want. McGizmo is outstanding but larger and clicky.

Will be curious to hear other suggestions.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Kind of an oddball these days bit perhaps you could track down an older zebralight sc52d. 85 cri at 5000k color temp with a nice beam. 14500 compatible though I believe it still hits your lumen requirments on a nimh aa. Its a side switch light so its compact. Has outputs from sub lumen moonlights all the way past 200 with a good ui. No its not a rotary but it still fulfils most needs. You can also check out the sc53 series of zebralight. You loose 14500s but gain fully programable ui. There are hi cri variants like the sc53c at over 90 cri and 4000k temp. All under $60.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't shopped much for rotary interface lights, and it seems like there are very few of them. If the HDS models are too big for you, I think Sunwayman has a couple models, so you might check their site.

It fails on your size requirement (bigger than the D25A), but the Reylight Ti Lan overall seems like it should be a pretty good EDC. Reylight is a semi-custom maker who seems to normally produce his lights in medium-sized batches.

The L3 Illumination L11C is rated at only 140 lumens, but is very compact, and was my favorite light until it died from a small drop. Since durability has been a common complaint, I recommend it only with reservations. I wish I could recommend it wholeheartedly.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I think you will find Lumintop's Tool 2.0 to fit all your requirements. 650 lumens top output with a 14500.

7tisix

Newly Enlightened
I think you will find Lumintop's Tool 2.0 to fit all your requirements. 650 lumens top output with a 14500.

I just got the Tool AA 2.0 and I am very pleased with it. The rear clicky is nice and half presses to change modes are sensitive in a good way. Changing modes does require a little finesse or you might active strobe when changing through modes to fast. Getting rid of strobe on it would be an improvement IMO. It is very small and packs some power when you need it. It won't work with flat top 14500s, so make sure to get button tops. It is only $17 on Amazon

Last edited: