LED 6812 5v wiring help please

TheSandMan

Newly Enlightened
:wave:Hi guys brand new to the site hopefully I can find answers here because I cant find them anywhere else.

Ok so, I just purchased 100 meters of F6812 5V RGBW 60 WAT, 150W 12V power supply (x10), K1000C controller. I thought I knew the correct way to wire them but when i plug in the power only about half of the reel will light up, Also when i check voltage at the power supply to the LEDS it keeps dropping until the controller freezes and i cant change the mode or speed. here are some pictures please help.:confused:

MeMeMe

Banned
:wave:Hi guys brand new to the site hopefully I can find answers here because I cant find them anywhere else.

Ok so, I just purchased 100 meters of F6812 5V RGBW 60 WAT, 150W 12V power supply (x10), K1000C controller. I thought I knew the correct way to wire them but when i plug in the power only about half of the reel will light up, Also when i check voltage at the power supply to the LEDS it keeps dropping until the controller freezes and i cant change the mode or speed. here are some pictures please help.:confused:

Without links to the exact products you purchased, it is difficult / impossible to provide any meaningful feedback. That said, I am pretty certain that if you bought 5V LED addressable strips, then you need to be using a 5V power supply, not 12V.

Last edited:

MeMeMe

Banned
Without links to the exact products you purchased, it is difficult / impossible to provide any meaningful feedback. That said, I am pretty certain that if you bought 5V LED addressable strips, then you need to be using a 5V power supply, not 12V.

150W * 12 sounds like serious overkill for 100 meters of LED strips. That's 18W / meter. What are you lighting up?

If this is a DIY lighting project, in theory, you should not be using 150W, 12V supplies. That far exceeds the Class-2 circuit ratings (5A max). That usually means everything connected to that 12V source should have a "fire barrier" ... of which LED strips would usually not be, certainly not the basic types. This will only come into play of course if something starts on fire and your dwelling burns down ...

KENN MOSSMAN

Newly Enlightened
150W * 12 sounds like serious overkill for 100 meters of LED strips. That's 18W / meter. What are you lighting up?

If this is a DIY lighting project, in theory, you should not be using 150W, 12V supplies. That far exceeds the Class-2 circuit ratings (5A max). That usually means everything connected to that 12V source should have a "fire barrier" ... of which LED strips would usually not be, certainly not the basic types. This will only come into play of course if something starts on fire and your dwelling burns down ...

Good point AND OFTEN IGNORED by websites selling LED products!!! and they are self-proclaimed experts!