Headlamps for kids/toddlers

pulstar

Enlightened
Hi,

i am searching for inexpensive 1aa or usb rechargeable headlamps for small kids. Currently, i only know about Fenix HL16 and Nitecore NU10. Headlamp must be lightweight, neutral white tint is a bonus. Preferably on the floody side. Is there anything else in the 20$ range?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HL16 are pretty nice and so easy to use they are great for kids. I have no experience with the NU10. May we ask what they will be used for so that we may be able to suggest other products?

pulstar

Enlightened
Thanks for reply! Well, there's one 1.5 year old, one 3.5yo, one 5yo and one 7yo :) Headlamps are going to be used during winter walks and around the house. It gets dark really soon now, so all afternoon outdoor activities require additional light. I think that headlamp is a bit harder to point directly into the eye :)

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
for kids, get a dozen of $2-$3 lights of dx, ali , or any other marketplace. from my personal experience with kids camping, lights usually last only 1 trip, kids often lose them and sometimes brake them.

PartyPete

Enlightened
The only thing I have close to that criteria is the 2016 HL10. Simple 3 mode lamp, runs on 1 AAA and while the tint is cool white it's approaching the neutral end of the spectrum, so it's acceptable to me. Weighs about 2 oz as well, so very light.

Versatile too...Works as a headlamp, tiny right angle handheld or even a keychain light if need be.

Of course, I would have loved a moonlight mode and a brief turbo mode, like that of the Manker E02, which on paper looks great but too many reliability complaints for me to consider.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
for kids, get a dozen of $2-$3 lights of dx, ali , or any other marketplace. from my personal experience with kids camping, lights usually last only 1 trip, kids often lose them and sometimes brake them.

Kids are a lot less likely to lose something strapped to their heads. : D

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about Fenix HL10?

Oops, PartyPete already suggested the HL10.

There is the Manker E02H. Runs on 1xAAA, lightweight. Comes in XP-G3 or Nichia LED.

Last edited:

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I got my kids the Olight H05 active.
- cheap
- multiple colors means each child gets their own light.
- 2 aaa means I can charge both lights at the same time in my 4 bay charger. Can't do that with the 3xaaa lights.
- Not excessively bright. Kids tend to look at whoever is talking to them, which mean they blind you when wearing a headlamp.
- Plastic housing probably has a bit more give and absorption when the light is dropped.
- Fairly spotty beam. I like this though as it means I can run the light a bit dimmer to save on battery life.

I keep track of the lights lights and only bring them out when we go on walks or camping. They would get lost pretty quickly otherwise.

mickb

Enlightened
I got my nieces and nephews some for checking out bugs around the house and on walks. I went plastic body, budget brand, one power level being a low power flood. Reason being they may lose it, they don't need to be confused by extra functions, they may swing it around when they aren't wearing it and knock their sister in the head, they will usually spend some time with it off their head looking straight into the beam (lol) and directly at their siblings faces at close range. Have fun.

Last edited:

pulstar

Enlightened
So i ended up buying two Zebralights H53F CRI. One for my 1.5 year old and one for my wife. Both love their lights, boy really enjoys exploring the surroundings of our house and the nearby forest. When we prepare to go outside in the evening, he always points at his head and demands a light :)
F edition is great for close-up lightning, frosted lens really disperse the beam but still retains a bit of flood that comes in handy. Of course you must crank it up a bit. I usually set my boy's light to M2 level and it's perfect!

jonathanluu2

Newly Enlightened
So i ended up buying two Zebralights H53F CRI. One for my 1.5 year old and one for my wife.

I have an older H51 that my kids have used. At 1.5, he didn't really get it and it frustrated him to turn it on/off. At 3 he is pretty proficient at it and enjoys "reading" during car rides at night.

Advantages:

• Waterproof. To fend off the drool of the .75 year old.
  • Bombproof. Compared to the Energizer headlamp from Walmart which did not last but a few weeks before being ripped limb from limb (genesis headlamp that cemented me as a junkie, RIP)
  • Easy to swap batteries for small hands. He can twist off the cap and grab a replacement Eneloop and I don't have to worry about him putting it in backwards (or if he does the light is smart enough to prevent a post from showing up on the "battery mishaps" splash page.)

Some problems:

• He was swinging the light around the other day by the band and clocked himself in the head. Would have been less of an episode if it was plastic.
  • The modes change too quickly for him to accurately select.
  • Expensive. While we can fairly well keep track of said children an their items with a parent:child ratio of 1:1 or 1:2, increasing that ratio will reduce the odds. Bottom line, no Zebralight is going on a trip with my children beyond the grocery store.

mickb

Enlightened
Some problems:

• He was swinging the light around the other day by the band and clocked himself in the head. Would have been less of an episode if it was plastic.
  • The modes change too quickly for him to accurately select.
  • Expensive. While we can fairly well keep track of said children an their items with a parent:child ratio of 1:1 or 1:2, increasing that ratio will reduce the odds. Bottom line, no Zebralight is going on a trip with my children beyond the grocery store.

These mirror my own thoughts above in the thread. the only one I added is when little kids turn the light on high and look at the beam, or shine it in their siblings or the grown-ups face. Its arguably harmless but I didn't want to take the risk. Little kids eyes have a lot of seeing to get through in life.