Looking for a new headlamp - suggestions?

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
I almost went for the Fenix HM50R, but I'm not keen on "extended runtime / step down output" feature, so looking for alternatives now.

- rechargeable with USB C charging preferred
- battery / batteries must sit in the unit, not in the back or on the side
- mainly intended as work light (media production), so throw not a priority
- would be cool if it remembered last mode set
- I'm keen for it *not* to be Zebralight

Any ideas / recommendations?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
almost every light that has high output has either temp step down or a timer.
if you want no step down light you need simple cheap light that does not make 1000+lm, and heat would not be an issue. i know of such light, i have few of those, and they are pretty good for 15 bucks.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DHGXJJ4/?tag=cpf0b6-20

mcfarlie6996

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend the Armytek Elf C1. Has micro-usb charging and includes a good battery but you can also upgrade the battery to an 1100mAh if you desire for even more runtime. It's a floody beam which I imagine being more desirable. Pro tip, don't actually purchase the light from Armytek though. Andrew and Amanda has it for $54 which use the code 'aa4loyalcustomers' for 10% off (and free shipping I think). Amazon has it for $50 with Prime shipping. Longhorn Tactical has it for $45 which use the code '10off' for 10% off (and free shipping I think).

https://www.armytek.com/products/fl...elf-c1-xp-l-micro-usb-white-18350-li-ion.html

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Armytek Elf C1 is a good light, but has thermally controlled step down. something op wants nothing to do with.

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
almost every light that has high output has either temp step down or a timer.

?

What do you mean when you say high output? I only have lights maxing out at around 220 lumen (plenty bright for my purpose), so is that why I haven't come across this in the past?

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
?

What do you mean when you say high output?

nowadays majority of lights that runs off 18650 make at least 1000lm, some 2000+ in fact there are very few that do not.
of course if you looking at AA\AAA lights, then it is not an issue, at 200-300lm they do not make enough heat to warrant any step down,

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
I feel around 200-250 is max of what I need, but that's definitely good to know. Thanks for clarifying!

nollij

Newly Enlightened
I almost went for the Fenix HM50R, but I'm not keen on "extended runtime / step down output" feature, so looking for alternatives now.

- rechargeable with USB C charging preferred
- battery / batteries must sit in the unit, not in the back or on the side
- mainly intended as work light (media production), so throw not a priority
- would be cool if it remembered last mode set
- I'm keen for it *not* to be Zebralight

Any ideas / recommendations?

Just curious: why not a zebralight?

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
Just curious: why not a zebralight?

Nothing major, I had a zebralight (lost it on a job!), found it reliable and sturdy and a good light overall, but I wanted to get something that has the LED in the centre and not on left or right of the headlamp, and I'm also not keen to support a manufacturer that has a terrible website - how can you not have a decent website in 2018? :)

SRSeedBurners

Newly Enlightened
If he got an 18650 light and ran it on one of the low modes, as he's looking for 200-300 lumens max, then the step-down isn't an issue. Right? I have a light that I run in the lower modes all the time and it never steps down that I can tell.