16650 - replacement/sub for 123 Lithium cells?

Signalcorpsoperator

Newly Enlightened
Good evening everybody,

So I've found that I'm recently bit by the Surefire flashlight bug, and am learning there's an entire world out there concerning making these work better and by more economical means, and I must say, it's quite staggering the amount of information out there.

I ran across a few posts online about the 16650 (~3.7V @ ~2500 mAh) batteries, and it seems that they can be used as a direct sub (for the most part) for many of the Surefire lights that use a pair of the little 123 Lithium batteries. Most of the Surefires I've seen use this power source, so that could be a useful power source for just about any of them really.

What are your thoughts on this? It seems that a fully-charged 16650 would be pushing a little over 4 volts, it might be me, but doesn't that seem a little low for a light originally spec'd to run off of ~6 VDC?

I've one of the incandescent 6P lights, and while it's one of my favorites, it's quite the appetite for batteries. If I could run it off of a rechargeable battery, that might make it more practical for daily use. . .plus the lower voltage would mean the lamp assembly would last probably drastically longer?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated!

Thanks!!
Tom

fmc1

Enlightened
I have a few Sanyo UR16650ZTA's rated at 2600mAh that I use in place of two CR123's. The voltage is a little higher than a typical 18650. They are 3.8V nominal and use a 4.35V maximum charge voltage. The only down side might be in order to get maximum output you use must use a 4.35V charger.

Frank

DRoc

Newly Enlightened
16650 doesn't fit my E2E-LENGTHWISE, with a Veleno dropin. Also doesn't fit my A2 Aviator as far as width goes...But they're Surefires. If I really wanted to, I could mod mod them.

Off topic, just adding additional info.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Signalcorpsoperator,

Lumens Factory makes several E1/E2 lamp assemblies that are designed to run off of a 3.7v Li-ion cell, including the HO-E1R, and EO-E1R. Also, many Malkoff led drop-ins will run at full output from 3.4v - 9v.

I just placed an order for my first Sanyo 16650 cells. I wasn't paying enough attention in terms of the length buried further on down the webpage of the site; I do hope they fit in at least some of my lights. They should be calling it a 16690, yes? Anyway, I'm not too worried about not being able to charge them to the full 4.35 volts.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gents, 16650 cells are actually direct replacement for 17670. Although a bit thinner (?), length is the same. If you look on HKJ reviews you'll see that best capacity is when charged @4.30V

ven

Flashaholic
All my surefires(other than the 2 bored ones of course)run on 16650 fuel, some are protected KP's so 4.2v. Naked sanyo ones are 4.35v(so no wrap of keeppowers and PCB). I use them to power triple/quad(granted wont get max i could from a high drain cell,but its bright enough). Also incand bulbs, not quite as bright as 6v, but again bright enough..................might get 50lm instead of 60 or 70lm as example. To the eye it really is not much at all, yet free to run after purchase..................as good as.

Also in the E2e is 16650 fed for the tana triple 219b. I do like the fact its keeps max strength over the bored bodies(gets mighty thin near threads(head on E lights, tail on 6p/c2 etc). General use its fine, but would not want to use in anger or drop from any height past a foot on a feather cushion(little exaggeration:p).

So yes for me, 16650 all the way......................best thing ever imho for original body surefires that take cr123 fuel
Work lights(some of)
TraEHyWl.jpg

Some of home use
Bb6Rkvvl.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Haha , thank you Gordon for kind words, hope all is well your side. :cool:
Overall, i think surefire maybe my fav overall brand for the classic awesomeness....................Well i have far more of these than any other manufacturer anyway.
T4KJ5ucl.jpg

RDWIy0Xl.jpg

Halloween, what light/s to take is becoming a big issue tbh..................damn easier to stay in! haha