Any info on Surefire brand 18650 batteries?

Frottage

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, Surefire offers a few "DFT" lights that accept 18650 batteries, and they offer their own Surefire branded batteries and charger. The battery is a protected 18650 3400 mAh battery. Anyone have any anyone have any reliable info on this battery? (Is it a rebrand of some commonly available battery? Is there anything special about it, like high discharge current?). I'm picking up a Fury DFT and was hoping not to need proprietary Surefire batteries. I've got a bunch GA's and was hoping to just use those ...

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, Surefire offers a few "DFT" lights that accept 18650 batteries, and they offer their own Surefire branded batteries and charger. The battery is a protected 18650 3400 mAh battery. Anyone have any anyone have any reliable info on this battery? (Is it a rebrand of some commonly available battery? Is there anything special about it, like high discharge current?). I'm picking up a Fury DFT and was hoping not to need proprietary Surefire batteries. I've got a bunch GA's and was hoping to just use those ...

The first of their li-ion 18650 iterations was the 2600mAh cell, which was probably the Sanyo UR 18650 FM, a good medium capacity cell that held/holds its voltage well. It's a bit dated, however. I have them here in a power bank and some lights and they work well. I use naked, unprotected cells.

The 3400mAh offering is probably the famed Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh cell with a protection circuit added by Keeppower, EVVA, or anybody else slinging the PCB hash.

Another tried and true li-ion, but it too is a bit long in the tooth.

I got into a discussion about what type of drain the duel fuel lights require, with somebody saying 7A, but the NCR-B gets taxed above 5A+, so who knows?

1500LM from a modern LED shouldn't be over 3-5A, so the NCR-B would be good to go.

Chris