HDS High CRI - why you need one...

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
This morning in pitch black conditions I had only a few minutes to find a 2" in diameter Halloween decoration (see picture below) that my wife lost last night in a half acre grass field with lots of fallen brown leaves and twigs.

With me I had a HDS High CRI flashlight with the 219b 4000K R9050 emitter. This light provided clear contrast of all of the items on the ground. Browns were browns, reds were reds, oranges were orange, and blacks were black. I found the Halloween decoration within 30 seconds! It literally popped out from the surrounding leaves, grass, and twigs.

Without the high color rendering of the High CRI HDS light it would have taken me a much longer time to find this item, if I could find it at all.

p1110837.jpg

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
For most of the things I use my lights for, High CRI is the Only Way I like to Fly!

219b 4000K R9050 emitter.

That LED was my first Love. It also makes Chicken look more delicious. (bottom)

Image hosted by Flickr, click pic for a warning about upcoming Flickr fees (includes HDS content)

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
It helps me remember why I became a color photographer. I used to look at woodgrain, cement textures, and rust in black & white. I discovered color and amazing what color rendition does to a nude model, half of whom I used to date. Now the killjoy tethered to my ankle for the last 16 years wont let me do that anymore so I'm back to looking at woodgrain...BUT IN HIGH CRI !!!

fyrstormer

Banned
Offer to draw her like one of your French girls. ;)

- - -

I like Hi-CRI lights, but I have to say the latest batch of normal emitters have such improved tints, compared to what was available in 2008-2012 when I was really a flashaholic, that nowadays I don't feel like I need Hi-CRI for normal everyday use. Obviously I only use Hi-CRI for photography, but for "non-precision" tasks I find the Cree XP-L in a couple of my newest lights to be quite adequate. Then again, I was always a fan of cooler tints as long as they were still a little bit on the yellow side of snow-white, and for night vision I prefer a dim green light vs. a brighter red light, so obviously my eyes are more blue-tolerant than some people's. As is always the case around here, Your Lumens May Vary.

Last edited:

Msf

Enlightened
Given that most of my work is close up, with only occasional reach out to about two hundred yards, the XP-L wide beam is best for me. Given that, my dream is a Nichia High CRI with beam pattern of the XP-L. Since that is not on the horizon yet, my warm XP-L with reasonable CRI has to make do for now. Yes, I also have an HDS with the Nichia C, high CRI that I often use for outdoors where close up wide beam is not a concern.