Headlights for my 2018 Elantra Value Edition

criticalvec

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2018 Hyundai Elanta Value Edition which has Projector housings not entirely sure on the bulb type but its a halogen. I'm looking for some recommendations for good bulb replacements. I really want a more white colored light but it doesn't have to be perfect, What is the best halogen bulb that can mimic this to some degree and isn't trash? if someone knows some magical LED that magically works and doesn't blind everyone and look bad let me know. Otherwise could any one give me some solid suggestions for bulbs that would work best that would be great. Again if possible please give me links and suggestions for the products because I've searched a lot of forums and it all ends up being discussion instead of recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Welcome to the board. You're right to be skeptical of non-halogen bulbs (LED, "HID kit", etc). Don't mess with any of them, no matter what the advertisers claim.

Your low beams take a 9005 bulb. There's an easy, safe, effective upgrade: put in 9011 bulbs instead. You can get less expensive plain ones or more expensive deluxe ones. I don't have up-to-date comparative data on these two, but you'll probably get some "plus extra" with the Toyota bulb, which uses a more advanced design. On the other hand, it's more expensive. Whichever one you pick, you'll have to trim one of its three plastic tabs as shown here, then it will fit right in. The 9011 bulbs draw the same amount of electric current as the standard bulbs, and they don't put out more heat, so they're perfectly safe for the car's lamps, wiring, and warranty. The regulation allows a range of 1496 to 1904 lumens from a 9005 bulb; 1955 to 2645 from a 9011.

For the high beams, you need H7 bulbs. The ones to get are these or these.

All these bulbs will put more light on the road, so in that sense the light will appear "whiter" (less brownish). However, stay away from bulbs that specifically advertise "whiter light" or specific "kelvin ratings" or "color temperatures" -- this is all a big ol' scam. You have halogen lights. That's what they're going to look like. If you mess with blue/purple tinted bulbs, all you'll do is screw yourself in terms of not being able to see anywhere near as well (and nobody will be fooled). The headlamps on a car are life-safety equipment, not fashion toys; function is much more important than appearance.

Finally: headlamp aim is the biggest factor in how well you can see to drive at night, and unfortunately a new car doesn't necessarily have correctly aimed headlamps. It has to be done carefully with an optical aiming machine as described here; quiz your dealer on how they do it and if they talk about shining the lights on a wall or screen...say thank you and call around to other dealerships and shops until you find one that has an optical aiming machine.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

I have a 2018 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition which has Projector housings not entirely sure on the bulb type but its a halogen.
That year may be equipped with either halogen low and high beams, or an HID system. You may need to refer to your owner's manual to be sure of what it really takes.
If halogen, the X-Treme Vision H7 or the GE 55NHX H7, and the Philips HIR1 (with a base trim) would be a good combination. If it uses HID headlamps, then it uses the D1S for both beams. I'd ordinarily recommend Philips D1S, but they are heavily counterfeited (the X-Treme Vision bulbs may yet also). You might take a look at hidbulbsrus.com; they are very cognizant of the problem of counterfeiting. Counterfeit bulbs are often found on Amazon and eBay-- watch for too-good-to-be-true pricing.

I really want a more white colored light but it doesn't have to be perfect, What is the best halogen bulb that can mimic this to some degree and isn't trash?
Halogen bulbs put out white-colored light unless the bulb envelope is tinted or your voltage is too low. A halogen bulb is not mimicking anything when it emits white light.

if someone knows some magical LED that magically works and doesn't blind everyone
No such thing. There are no LED dropins for reflector or projector headlamps that work safely, effectively, or legally.

I've searched a lot of forums and it all ends up being discussion instead of recommendations.
I'm not sure if you've searched this one, judging by your want for "white light" from a halogen when that's pretty much all you GET from halogen, or in asking for LED drop-ins. There are many threads in which both of these things are discussed. In many cases, finding your best upgrade will involve reading the discussion, as there are details in there (bulb life, the counterfeiting problem, proscription of certain upgrades depending on the vehicle), so looking more closely there is useful.

Last edited:

747LeftSeat

Newly Enlightened
How do the H7 Vosla +120 as sold by candlepowerinc compare to your suggestions of H7 bulbs?

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
How do the H7 Vosla +120 as sold by candlepowerinc compare to your suggestions of H7 bulbs?

They're closely comparable. I like the GE product a bit better in H7 right now, but I wouldn't turn down a Philips or a Vosla.