For urban exploration

gpdloader

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
Can you recommned me a best flashlight for urban exploration,
for exploration of indoor areas, that have absolutely no light.
?

Specifications :
- flood type ,
- max lumens
- medium size
- resistance to damage.
- at least 3h duration.

- must be available for purchase from web shop that shipps to EU.
- web shop must be well known
- price up to 250$

Thanks.

gpdloader

Newly Enlightened
Dimensions should be small or medium sized.
SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
I don't know for output. Not important as log as it has above properties.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Welcome to
CandlePowerForums !

We look forward to seeing your
postings of your explorations !

Stay Safe out there !

:welcome:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
A Malkoff MD2 or MD3 with the appropriate drop in would work very well. Not quite 3 hour runtime but tough as nails and will work every time.Or not as tough but Fenix PD 35 rocks. Check it out

Oh and take a backup. One light in a strange dark dangerous place is a no no.

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dimensions should be small or medium sized.
SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
I don't know for output. Not important as log as it has above properties.

Olight M2R fits into that size. I own the M2T and love it.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a situation where 'Two is one and one is none' applies. I would think a headlamp for illuminating your immediate area would be your main light. Nitecore makes several so you should be able to select one that sounds best to you. So that covers hallways, tunnels, small rooms, etc. For larger spaces a compact medium flood like the Nitecore P30 would work. It has a nice beam that will reach out several hundred meters if needed, with a nice spill. Its small size lets it ride easily in its belt holster when not in use.
I personally would carry a third light like a G2 clone as a second backup. One really doesn't want to get stranded without any light at all in this kind of environment.

Over the years there have been several threads on this topic. It might be worth while to search them out as well.

adnj

Enlightened
This is a situation where 'Two is one and one is none' applies. I would think a headlamp for illuminating your immediate area would be your main light. Nitecore makes several so you should be able to select one that sounds best to you. So that covers hallways, tunnels, small rooms, etc. For larger spaces a compact medium flood like the Nitecore P30 would work. It has a nice beam that will reach out several hundred meters if needed, with a nice spill. Its small size lets it ride easily in its belt holster when not in use.
I personally would carry a third light like a G2 clone as a second backup. One really doesn't want to get stranded without any light at all in this kind of environment.

Over the years there have been several threads on this topic. It might be worth while to search them out as well.
Fully agreed.

Keitho

Enlightened
To me, small/med size flooder with max lumens for 3 hours means a soda-can 4x18650 light (not built-in battery, replaceable cells). 3 hours runtime won't be at max lumens unless you're replacing cells a bit. Acebeam x80gt might squeeze in to the top end of your budget; I'd probably bring 2 or 3 noctigon m43's instead due to their efficiency (international outdoors has them in stock). Other options abound, like the blf q8, etc (search compact soda can flooder for many discussions on options).

I'd probably supplement with a thrower on my belt as well, for when all that flood isn't necessary, probably with a more "tactical" UI than the pop can flooders.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Perhaps an acebeam ec65 in nichia flavor. 21700 battery with built in usb-c charging. Will give you 500 floody lumens for your stated 3 hours. Mine seems to be built quite well and has taken a solid drop already. They also make the ec50 series of 26650 lights that are floody with in built charging but it isnt usb-c and they are are larger and heavier and without clips. All around half your budget. There are plenty of options but may as well check these out.

gpdloader

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for suggestions so far.
I liked the suggestion that i should allways carry backup flashlight.

swtws6

Newly Enlightened
I would definitly 2nd or 3rd or whatever the need for backup and actually probaby 3 lights in minimum id carry into any sort of situation like this. A floody style headlamp, running at a low to medium level for the entire time your in, satisfies constant near field light right in front of you so you wont trip, fall, whatever. Then a relatively powerful multi level handheld light something running an 18650 probably, that has also maybe a floody beam with a litle but of throw also, a combo type beam, for looking down holes, wells, long hallways etc. And you can bump the light level up and down as needed for the situation. Id also carry something at least light a pocket light, aaa keychain light or a single rc123a style light strictly for tru back up purpose that can at least get you back out to your starting point in worst case scenario. Also a small backpak or whatever id have at least 1 spare set of batts along with other things like bottle water, small 1st aid kit, snacks, knife or multi tool of some sort.

I've always been very interesed in doing urban exploration but I wouldn't want to do it alone and I literally dont have any friends that are into anything like that. Wish I did, i have a sense of need for outdoors and exploring in my blood that never gets satisfied.