OLight R50 Pro

Pickers

Newly Enlightened
I was impressed by the look of the OLight R50 Pro but have since read that the output isn't all it could be amd not genuinely 3200 lumins and I'd be better off with a Nitecore or Acebeam. I want a rechargeable torch that is very bright and very well made from aircraft grade aluminium, that's why I decided on the R50 Pro at 3200 lumins. I could stretch toward an OLight Rx7 Marauder ar 12000 lumins but I'm concerned that this would get too hot and be very heavy? I'm torn between the Tiny Monster, OLight R50 Pro, and Rx7 or a Nitecore? I'm after great build quality and a powerful beam, needs to be waterproof too. I live in the UK so every price you pay in $s I pay the equivalent in £s , which isn't really fair but we have to live with it. 🙂 does anyone have any recommendations for me, please ? I'm new to all this flashlight stuff, I had no idea how big a deal it is, very interesting forum.

Lumenwolf

Enlightened
I have the standard R50 which was out before the pro. I got mine from Skylumen based in the US. (I'm in the UK). He modifies flashlights and they cost only a little more than standard. I opted for a shaved xhp50 to give the light a little more throw and love it. I use it at work all the time.
There are plenty of lights on the store and if you have any questions Vinh the owner will answer them as he's a lovely guy. Hope that gives you some food for thought.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on how you're carrying it can be hefty but if I was still wearing it on my belt every day, I wouldn't mind trading it for my streamlight stinger. I like the modes for a patrol light, and I could then throw it on the car charger to keep it topped off. The stinger would still be my first choice because of the warranty. I could beat on it all day long and get it serviced and back to me within 2 days when it failed, no questions asked.

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
I got the r50pro seeker LE about a couple weeks ago. On a vacation to Australia right now which is why I purschased this light since my other ones are more throwy. I can honestly say I really like this light. People may say it's not the true "3200" lumens. But it is pretty dang bright. I doubt it's that noticeable. It's running that rechargeable 26650 and charge base/dock that came with the light. I could try and take some beam shots later tonight, but it's super flood almost no hot spot. Great for flooding up a decent area relatively close to you.... took it into pouring rain last night and I've dropped it probably 1.5 meters a few times now. Don't listen to the naysayers I like the light.

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Btw I'm no flashlight expert so don't hold me to all of it.. just giving my opinion since I do own the light. Going out Into the dark to try and get some good beam shots. Could use my olight mini intimidator i believe it's 2,800lumen model I think for beam shots comparison. Keep in mind I'm no pro at this stuff just to get that clear so please don't bash me when I post some beam shots. Thanks -blglov

Pickers

Newly Enlightened
I don't have an R50, so I can't comment, but if you let us know what you need it for and any limiting factors, someone is bound to help you out.
Thanks, I want it to locate my pets in a very large back garden, if it can reach from the house to the bottom around 300 meters ish, a good strong beam, I don't need to carry it around all day with me, I've looked at the Acebeam X65 but concerned that it's going to get too hot, obviously there's a direct connection between heat and light but you'd think at that price £400 that they'd be able to make them run cooler. I do love a good torch and find myself being drawn in, I see Olight are having a lack Friday sale with 40% off, so that might be an option. Thanks you for your help. Cheers Steve.

Pickers

Newly Enlightened
Btw I'm no flashlight expert so don't hold me to all of it.. just giving my opinion since I do own the light. Going out Into the dark to try and get some good beam shots. Could use my olight mini intimidator i believe it's 2,800lumen model I think for beam shots comparison. Keep in mind I'm no pro at this stuff just to get that clear so please don't bash me when I post some beam shots. Thanks -blglov
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, as I've just said Olight are having a Black Friday sale and they're knocking 40% off their lights. Might be time to invest in a RX7 Marauder?

Pickers

Newly Enlightened
Depending on how you're carrying it can be hefty but if I was still wearing it on my belt every day, I wouldn't mind trading it for my streamlight stinger. I like the modes for a patrol light, and I could then throw it on the car charger to keep it topped off. The stinger would still be my first choice because of the warranty. I could beat on it all day long and get it serviced and back to me within 2 days when it failed, no questions asked.

Thank you. I see Acebeam are offering their x65 at £399 but it's a few years old and the X70 is only £40 more, I was just concerned that they get too hot and the full Lumens are only available for a short period, at these prices they should perform better in my opinion, I do understand that light generates heat but things evolve, seems very expensive for what it is.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't underestimate yourself. You have 2 things going for you: you have good taste in lights and you take beamshots...you're way ahead of the curve! My wife was just talking about going on vacation to Australia, the only thing she didn't do when she was single and had daddy's money. I've been wanting to see the outback ever since I saw Mad Max. Minus the post apocalyptic crazies and eating dog food

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Lol, Australia has been fun... took all my flashlights with hah, I had to right? What could possibly be better than exploring with a different light each night. I've actually typically been bringing out my lights in a trio. I'm digging my r50 pro seeker LE for big flood, matched with my tk35 UE (1800) for more mid range, with my TK75 being my thrower. I love being able to use all my lights and seeing them either shining against the city buildings from a decent distance or going into pitch blackness and "cutting the darkness" ha. I'm 22 and I don't know many other people my age that are into decent flashlights. My mom doesn't understand that each light serves a purpose, whether it be throw, flood, lumens, etc. "you have to many flashlights why do you need another.." and I try to explain but she doesn't grasp my flashlight fetish haha. It's 2:27am here right now. I'm basically nocturnal. I'll try to get out into some darkness for the comparisons. I'm pretty interested to see how they match up. Hopefully I can get out there in a minute and shed some "light" on the comparisons.

mortuus

Newly Enlightened
I was impressed by the look of the OLight R50 Pro but have since read that the output isn't all it could be amd not genuinely 3200 lumins and I'd be better off with a Nitecore or Acebeam. I want a rechargeable torch that is very bright and very well made from aircraft grade aluminium, that's why I decided on the R50 Pro at 3200 lumins. I could stretch toward an OLight Rx7 Marauder ar 12000 lumins but I'm concerned that this would get too hot and be very heavy? I'm torn between the Tiny Monster, OLight R50 Pro, and Rx7 or a Nitecore? I'm after great build quality and a powerful beam, needs to be waterproof too. I live in the UK so every price you pay in $s I pay the equivalent in £s , which isn't really fair but we have to live with it. 🙂 does anyone have any recommendations for me, please ? I'm new to all this flashlight stuff, I had no idea how big a deal it is, very interesting forum.

Olight is a good brand, and why wouldnt the R50 pro be 3200 lumens? its using a CREE XHP70 emitter that can make alot more lumens then that, there is no reason to doubt that stated lumens at all, its more or less close to that in real life. Not sure what kind of light u want but for this size its a great light, very floody so unless u want a very throwy beam ushould get this one .

Do u want something that u can carry in your jack pocket while u go out walking or? then this light is ideal for that and not too heavy or big.

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Well I missed the chance for some comparison shots forgot it gets like at 4:30a here. I'll take some inside in a pitch black room, I'll try again in the PM

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for all these replies to this thread, read over Pickers original post again. Just realized Nitecore was in your possibilities. I've owned 3 nite core (0 out of 3 work). One of the torches I had from Nitecore fried (ea8 caveman) this was back in the day. Nitecore said it was from leaving the flashlight on for too long... it was the second time I used it and I had a big time trouble trying to deal with getting it fixed so I got my money back from amazon. I also had the p-15, I know it's not the nicest light they sell, but you'd think it would last longer than 2 months and 2 drops from a few feet up. Surprisingly the mt21a Nitecore I had lasted the longest.. probably cause I rarely used it. But even that light started a bad flicker after around a year old. Decide to put the kapoots on buying Nitecore lights. I've had 5 Fenix lights. Ld41, original pd35, tk35 UE (1800lumen), tk51 (good ole boy) and the TK75. Only one of these that went out was the pd35 after a year of abuse. I'm surprised it lasted that long. Developed a flicker and I give Fenix credit because I emailed them, telling the customer service that it had a flicker. First trouble shooting problem was a new tail cap which Fenix sent me at no charge. It ended up being something else, I still own the light just never got it fixed. I gave the ld41 to my grandparents and they love it for walking their dog. They live in a neighborhood with no light and to the average person that ld41 is super bright. Rest of them are working fine. TK75 has taken some decent abuse, tk51 for some reason is one of my favorites got it for a steal when it was discontinued. Tk35 UE has seen some cave exploring and I think it's one of my favs for mid throw (if that's what you consider it). I'm sure the 3200 lumen model of the tk35 blows my 1800 lumen tk35 away. So far I really have no complaints with Fenix. I know some people bash them but I guess that's how it goes. When the original olight mini intimidator was discontinued I got that for a deal too. (Buying discontinued flashlights is sorta cool because I think you get a decent light for way cheaper than it used to be. Plus If I've always wanted that light and when it goes on sale discontinued and I get it, I'm still happy lol). And then I have the Olight r50pro seeker LE. It's hard to pick a favorite it's like picking a favorite child. I've been wanting to try maybe a thru nite but I've had a good experience with Fenix and olight so far so I've stuck with them. Can't attest to any other brands so I won't say there aren't better ones out there. Just thought I'd give my two cents on what I think about Nitecore, Fenix, and olight.

matt4350

Enlightened
Steve, I see flashlight prices in the UK are quite ridiculous, even worse than here. I would suggest if you want to see out to possibly 300 metres, the R50 will not suit you. While it's got plenty of lumens, they don't go that far (compared to something dedicated to the task). I've got an Olight SR52, I believe that's the sort of thing that might suit your needs, especially if you get one on sale. If you want to max out (custom job) the range of an SR52, buy it from Vinh at skylumen.com, that's where I picked up mine. Not much more than the stock version, which is actually quite well priced (over here, at any rate).

Pickers

Newly Enlightened
Thank you , I'll take a look at the SR52, they've also got 40% off the RX7 Marauder, a different beast but quite a nice light.