Lithium batteries and water.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I'm just curious here about something. I'm well aware of the fact that theses batteries don't like water but how about a little rain? I often carry an extra cell for my edc light in an open pouch with my light.whats your opinion on getting the battery wet. Not putting it under water but like if it was exposed to some heavy rain? Think it would be safe if that did happen?

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just curious here about something. I'm well aware of the fact that theses batteries don't like water but how about a little rain? I often carry an extra cell for my edc light in an open pouch with my light.whats your opinion on getting the battery wet. Not putting it under water but like if it was exposed to some heavy rain? Think it would be safe if that did happen?

Rain, not a problem, submerging, I don't know if it's possible to get inside, but unless you are running a cheap Chinese battery similar to a cheap knockoff I wouldn't worry... I m talking about the cheaper cheerful ones.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing bad will happen. My friend once washed the clothes in a washing machine with CR123 batteries. They are only a little exhausted. As it seems to me, the problem may be, if water gets into the cavity and there is a slow discharge, they will be exhausted. Therefore after the rain they are desirable to dry.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya that what I kinda figured. Just that I know they are vented so have always been a little worried about water getting in.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every time I buy something with a silica gel packet in it, it gets tossed into a ziplock bag and saved. Works better than rice for a submerged cell phone and other electronics. If I end up soaked with wet batteries they get placed in a container to keep them from touching each other and tossed in a big ziplock bag with several silica pouches. Within 24 hours the moisture is gone and all is good....