Help ID this LED

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend bought a Novatac 120P with a defective driver. He obtained a spare driver with an unknown LED that is not Cool White..

Can anyone guess what the LED is? I can get more pics if needed.. just curious to learn what the LED might be.

QHSxre4.jpg

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like an XM-L2. Either neutral or warm white LED by the color of the phosphor.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know the brightness settings, clearly not matched among the 3 lights..

my friend wants to know if it could be a Seoul P4, can we say No to that?

Looks like an XM-L2. Either neutral or warm white LED by the color of the phosphor.
thanks

my guess is also XM-L2 Neutral White, but I have no knowledge what these different LEDs look like

Last edited:

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Looks like an XM-L2. Board looks about 20mm, white butterfly thing is for centering reflector over led. Looks like (cant see very well) silver around the led which means XM-L2 as opposed to XML which has green base. It probably dim due to driver with low output current.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the light set to its brightest setting in the beamshot above?

definitely not
I will flog my assistant until correlated intensity is achieved

Looks like an XM-L2. Board looks about 20mm, white butterfly thing is for centering reflector over led. Looks like (cant see very well) silver around the led which means XM-L2 as opposed to XML which has green base.

Very Helpful

another XM-L2 vote, thank you :)
Green Butterfly or Silver Butterfly.. great distinctions, will pass it on

in any case, no one seems to think its a P4..
I dont know the differences, I thought P4 was stock CW, but occasionally I get confused about whether there was also a High CRI P4 that was NW..

Novatac LED History education welcome

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
for furthere reference some LED pics in a post I found:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...o-Modder-but-I-can-Solder-NovaTac-120-Upgrade!

There is a proper Subforum for modding and modders, but I'm no modder and they speak a language over there that few of us do so I think most CPF members might not be inclined to browse around over there. So I completely understand if this gets moved or deleted, but I wanted to get this info out there if possible.
This whole project is CPF based. I found my 120E for $89 on LAPolice after browsing through GreenLED's fantastic CPF discount page, then I did the 250 Click Mod that LLCoolBeans posted about. Good so far, but there was the issue of the tint and output. The tint wasn't bad, just a bit blue-ish, especially when compared to my beloved Liteflux LF3XT, (thanks DHart!), and I imagined that the output could be just a bit higher.
Looked around and figured out that you couldn't just drop any old emitter in due to the limitations of the hole that the emitter mounts in, saw a modder who milled it out, but I didn't want to go to that extreme. Surfed around and saw this offered by PhotonFanatic and pulled the trigger on a couple.
And now my world is forever changed.
Here's the 45 minute, (I'm slow), modification:

Original emitter:

Original emitter removed. De-soldered and lifted out. "Held" in by thermal paste.:
2w4xqbs.jpg

The new emitter, legs straightened out:
2nhez52.jpg

Straightened vs. Unstraightened:
1zaio3.jpg

Put a blob of thermal paste down and soldered legs:
25a24id.jpg

Here are the results comparing the LF3XT(which used to be just as bright and much more pleasing white) to the Novatac.
mcq0io.jpg

I am shocked by the results. I had to check the battery in the Liteflux to see if it was depleted. I have an EZ123 that I compared it to. Similar results, the Novatac stomps all over the EZ123 and leaves it looking blue.

*******Hints********
A large fingernail clipper helped get the emitter down to size.
Use a VOM to determine the (+) side. I used the Ohm setting on the original and noticed which way the emitter lit up when touched with the test leads and oriented the replacement accordingly.
A lighted magnifying lamp made the operation much easier.
Solder sucker is always helpful for this kind of work.
Use a low wattage iron and very thin solder.

So, if you're feeling adventurous give it a try! Or, experiment on some DX cheapies first and then move up to the big guns.
I'm off to figure out the nomenclature of the modders and emitter gurus and then I'll be able to tell you what I've done to my light in proper terms.

Photography disclaimer: All pictures were taken with my iPhone. The closeups were done by placing a 30x DX loupe in front of the lens.
The beamshot makes it look like the LF3XT was very dim, it wasn't, it's just that the Novatac was so bright the camera used a fast "shutter speed".

Last edited:

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is much more recent than a Seoul P4, those things were a completely different package design than what we are using currently.

THIS is a Seoul P4,
SSC_%28Seoul_Semiconductor%29_Z-Power_P4_LED_white.png

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
excellent info, thanks for including the photo
do you know if there was also a NW P4?

some collected images, and incomplete ID
AnWMoeR.png

I would also say the LED at the top right is a XM-L2 (or maybe a XM-L). If it is a NW or WW I am unsure. The die is a little bit more orange than yellow, therefore it could be possible. But at al it depends on the color calibration of the camera. I could take a picture of a cool white XM-L2 and everyone would bet on a NW or WW LED ... therefore color calibration is important if you take pictures. :)

The LED at the bottom right with marking "LED?" is a K2 or K2 TFFC. I have a few of them, since I always wanted to chance the SSC P4 to a K2 TFFC, but due to lack of time my Novatacs are still original. If I remember correctly the K2 does not have this little dots on the die, the K2 TFFC has ... but it is too long ago to remember. :thinking:

Here a picture of a K2 TFFC
https://www.ledsmagazine.com/content/dam/leds/migrated/objects/news/4/11/14/K2TFFC.jpg

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
It doesn't look quite like a XM-L2 to me. The dome appears to cover more of the carrier board than a real XM-L2's dome does. On a real XM-L2 there's a bit more exposed carrier board at the corners. It actually looks more like a XP-L to my eyes, except the die is too small compared to the rest of the carrier board.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
can you post a photo?
the chart I posted does not have the plain XP-L on it

Im pretty sure you dont mean the XP-L Hi on the right, do you?:
mystery LED on left:
RMeqY8S.png

I googled XP-L for a photo and found this (I did not find a NW version)
FbyuPNK.png

is that what youre thinking?

btw, my friend will not remove the white butterfly for fear of breaking something
but he did send another photo, this time with the beam on maximum
l-r Led Lenser F1 Cool White 400 lumens, Enogear AA copper NW 120 Lumens, Novatac w mystery LED stock spec is 120 lumens
GFx4be7.jpg

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
I dunno. Maybe it isn't a XP-L after all. Why is the make and model of the LED important, anyway? It certainly seems to be bright enough; if the tint is bad, just replace it with a premium LED that you're familiar with and don't worry about what the previous LED used to be.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still think this is a NW XM-L2 and hidden behind that glare is another bond wire. In the beam shot photos the tint looks similar as the NW emitter to the left.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still think this is a NW XM-L2 and hidden behind that glare is another bond wire. In the beam shot photos the tint looks similar as the NW emitter to the left.

yes, I agree completely
imo, the question has been answered

thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread