looking for a backpack light - thank you for your time!

condor762

Newly Enlightened
so i have been in the market for a large light for tasks such as walking my dog late at night, go exploring in abandoned areas/woodland areas or for emergencies(someone goes missing and a search party is made or the such) i always carry a 5.11 MOAB 6 pack with me, i was thinking of Maglite as they were my favorite brand as a kid and still are. but they seem to be a couple decades behind everyone else? this is when i realized i was also behind the times as im not up to snuff on the newer stuff... this is what i'm looking for.. please tell me if i am being to greedy

-sub $135
-ever so slightly more flood-like than beam-like
-large-ish size
-long battery life

Lumen83

Enlightened
Any battery type preference? Rechargeable? Are you looking for multiple light output modes? Any other special features or requirements?

Last edited:

condor762

Newly Enlightened
Any battery type preference? Rechargeable? Are you looking for multiple light output modes? Any other special features or requirements?

no preference, i originally wanted a more common battery but i reckoned i was being a little ignorant to other battery types so i figured i would just leave all options open. even though some seems more hassle.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as you are ok with Li-Ion cells, the Nitecore TM06S should meet your needs. On Turbo mode it will reach out ~300 meters, but only last for an hour. High mode is 1500 lumens, and lasts for four hours. As such, the TM06S would work well for SAR work, using the Turbo to spot anything interesting, then High or Medium to investigate and find one's way. At 4"x2" it is a compact light, usually described as a "soda can" light.
While not as powerful nor long lasting, the Nitecore P30 is a handy little single cell Li-Ion light that on Turbo (1000 lumens) will reach out 600 meters, and on High at 400 lumens will last for 4 hrs. I particularly like the tight center beam that is very obvious on High and Turbo, while the spill is enough to see around you, but not so bright as to make it difficult to see details in the distance. At the lower modes it just does a really good job of lighting things up. As a single 18650 cell light, it is very compact, and carries well in its holster on one's belt. The holster also has a MOLLE strap so that it can be carried on a back pack as well.
If AA cells are more to your liking, Nitecore has several AA lights that also do a good job at what you are looking for.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
so i have been in the market for a large light for tasks such as walking my dog late at night, go exploring in abandoned areas/woodland areas or for emergencies(someone goes missing and a search party is made or the such) i always carry a 5.11 MOAB 6 pack with me, i was thinking of Maglite as they were my favorite brand as a kid and still are. but they seem to be a couple decades behind everyone else? this is when i realized i was also behind the times as im not up to snuff on the newer stuff... this is what i'm looking for.. please tell me if i am being to greedy

-sub $135
-ever so slightly more flood-like than beam-like
-large-ish size
-long battery life

The newer Mag LEDs are not outdated at all, it seems that most of the people who whine about Mag being decades behind have no experience with Mags beyond 1987 or there abouts......the C cell ML50's and D cell ML300's should fit your criteria nicely. Both the ML50 and ML300's feature 4 easily programmable function sets of 3 modes each, newly designed 1/4 turn quick focus adjustment, electronic switches along with very good throw and lumens along with very good run times. The ML50 comes in 2 and 3 cell varieties with a choice of standard Mag grip and type 2 anodizing (L version) or a type 3 hard anno'd LX version with a grenade grip pattern; same thing with the ML300 except that they also have 4 and 6 cell options. There are also rechargeable versions in the form of the D cell size Mag charger and the C cell sized ML150.

Lumen83

Enlightened
no preference, i originally wanted a more common battery but i reckoned i was being a little ignorant to other battery types so i figured i would just leave all options open. even though some seems more hassle.

Maybe check out a surefire G2X then. Good size for your hand. Rugged. Good combo of Spill and throw. 2 useful Brightness levels. Long battery life on low.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm liking the Acebeam EC65. It checks off LOTS of boxes when it comes to a good outdoor light.

- Long runtime from 21700 battery
- 21700 size a comfortable fit in the hand (kind of like 26650, but smaller)
- GREAT tint from 4000K Nichia 219C
- 92+ CRI
- 2500 lumens max, which is PLENTY bright for almost anything
- Good flood from quad emitters
- USB C rechargeable.

The only downside is that it is a tad expensive for what it is. But otherwise, it is probably one of the best outdoor lights currently available.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Honestly I'd take a new Maglite. I have a new model 3D and that dam thing throws a ton is super bright and if you run out of D batteries you can use AA in a D adapted in a pinch. Tough as well.OR I have a Fenix TK 41 and that thing rocks. Throws 500 yards and gets up to 800 lumens. Have to get them on eBay now think they are discontinued. Runs on 8-AA

maglite mike

Enlightened
The New Maglites are awesome , I love the C and D cell Variants. Great run time , plenty bright, durable and hefty.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are really going to go backpacking with this light, the idea of carrying a large, heavy light doesn't make much sense. The longer you are out in the woods the more important it is to be carrying something lightweight. If I was going to carry ONLY ONE light, it would be a single AA powered headlamp. Headlamps are really useful out in the woods - there isn't always a good place to put a light down and it's great to have both hands free to do something. My Steri-Pen also uses AA batteries and it's a plus to only have to carry one size battery.

There are many good single AA headlamps from Zebralight, Fenix, and others.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use aa zebralights or armytek when I need to travel out the USA and carry 4-6 energizer lithium's. If i need light carry here, Olight s1r, baton, or 4sevens mini ml with 2 spares for backup