2xAA 800-000 lumen lights?

Berneck1

Enlightened
Hey Guys,

Does anyone know of a true 800-1000 lumen light that takes 2xAA batteries? The Manker T02 is the only one know, but I don't like the form or the UI..

pc_light

Enlightened
Hey Guys,

Does anyone know of a true 800-1000 lumen light that takes 2xAA batteries? The Manker T02 is the only one know, but I don't like the form or the UI..
Unfortunately that level of practical performance is probably only available using lithium 14500 cells. Lower voltage AA cells (NiMh; forget Alkaline) would quickly sag under the drain and will probably not delivery the stated lumens for more than so many seconds.

FWIW, here are some other 2XAA lights that are more realistically rated to deliver 250+ lmn: Nitecore MT22A and Sunwayman D20A. Those levels are likely about where the Manker T02 throttles down to after several seconds on Turbo.

There are several 4xAA form factor lights that can deliver that performance.

I look forward to being corrected, which would in turn put a new light on my shopping list! :devil:

Last edited:

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually new NiCd AA's would have little trouble delivering the required amperage. NiCd's when new often have incredibly low internal resistance. However in that service they won't stay new very long, and they won't run for an especially long period of time. The efficiency of a boost converter running on 2.5 volts is going to be a problem, so heat dissipation will also be a problem. You would be lucky to get 10 minutes run time at full output from such a flashlight.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 1000 lumen 2xAA light should be possible. Zebralight SC5 does over 500 lumens on 1xAA NiMH (Eneloop). Unfortunately, I don't know of any 2xAA light that has put something like that together. Probably because once you're designing a light as big as 2xAA, you may as well go with 1x18650 which is smaller and can do over 2000 lumens.

1xAA is the sweet spot for a bright pocket-light with reasonable run-time. 1x18650 is the next logical step up.

pc_light

Enlightened
...Zebralight SC5 does over 500 lumens on 1xAA NiMH (Eneloop)... 1xAA is the sweet spot for a bright pocket-light with reasonable run-time. 1x18650 is the next logical step up.
True the ZL SC5 is a marvel of efficiency, still I sold my ZL SC5w because I could only get Max by using Eneloop Pro's, my other NimH's never seemed quite capable. Even then runtimes were not long enough to justify the added body size/weight compared to my old SC51w which runs 14500's.

I can understand the desire for preferring AA lights even multi-cell AA's (ideally ones that also run 14500's) for ease of feeding. There was a time when I even considered getting rid of my non-AA lights but decided I'd be misssing out on too much variety if I did. So instead I just make it a point to favor AA/14500 lights over others battery sizes when I do purchase a new light these days. The majority of the lights I've added are all single AA (Sofirn 10A, Reylight LAN and Lumintop EDC05) or multi-AA (Lumintop SD4A) based.
-------------------

Sorry Berneck1 for getting your thread sort of OT.

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
As I understand it, Klarus has two new lights that only take 1 of the 14500 battery and each achieves 1,000 lumens.