2.18 HDS software - anyone have this issue?

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has only happened twice in over 60 uses of the light and it is not repeatable.

With a fully charged battery, the light works several times and then it will not turn on. I remove the battery for 60 seconds, replace the battery, and the light works fine.

It it is a HDS Executive with the Nichia 219b 4000K R9050 LED emitter.

I do not know if this is the start of a pattern or two isolated events. These two separate occurrences have happened over five weeks apart.

fyrstormer

Banned
It's very hard to diagnose a problem that occurs so infrequently. I think you'll just have to keep using it and see if it gets worse, because right now you don't have enough data points to determine anything about the nature of the problem.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trouble is you start to not trust the light, and you're waiting for it to happen.
I'd put that cell to one side and use a different one and just hope that't it doesn't happen again.
P

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has only happened twice in over 60 uses of the light and it is not repeatable.

With a fully charged battery, the light works several times and then it will not turn on. I remove the battery for 60 seconds, replace the battery, and the light works fine.

It it is a HDS Executive with the Nichia 219b 4000K R9050 LED emitter.

I do not know if this is the start of a pattern or two isolated events. These two separate occurrences have happened over five weeks apart.

I d give Henry a call. Doesn't sound like a cell problem.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I d give Henry a call. Doesn't sound like a cell problem.
Thank you for the input. I rotate six different brand new Fenix rechargeable batteries and test each with a meter to ensure they are fully charged.

Do not want to bother Henry unless I can reliably duplicate the occurrence. In my mind it is not a problem yet.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the input. I rotate six different brand new Fenix rechargeable batteries and test each with a meter to ensure they are fully charged.

Do not want to bother Henry unless I can reliably duplicate the occurrence. In my mind it is not a problem yet.

I'll bring this up with Henry on Monday (post a reminder here on Monday... I'm old... wait, what was I typing?) and see what he thinks the issue could be.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

No worries, I forgot to mention if your light all of a sudden starts producing a series of flashes like so many short flashes or long flashes without you doing anything don't panic it's an error code the light is giving to you. Not sure if 2.18 has this built in but I ve seen it in a couple of my older lights.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
No worries, I forgot to mention if your light all of a sudden starts producing a series of flashes like so many short flashes or long flashes without you doing anything don't panic it's an error code the light is giving to you. Not sure if 2.18 has this built in but I ve seen it in a couple of my older lights.

Interesting. The light did flash about five times, I am not sure the exact amount, with each flash of the same duration after I replaced the battery and turned it on. The amount and type of flashes reminded me of the flashes that happen when setting the features but not doing them correctly (page 13 of the Executive Advanced Instructions -- "Note: your flashlight will exit the Option Menu with 5 rapid flashes without changing the setting if an error is detected"). My light does not have Customization Enabled so it was Not in programming mode.

My light works great now and always has except for those two brief instances. I will make sure I count the number and note the duration of the flashes if the occurrence happens again.

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Hogo mentioned though remind him to check with Henry... IF there WAS an error code it should still be in the software somewhere. I had a 200 and a 250 do this but it s not an often occurrence... and certainly nothing to worry about.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light did flash about five times

this is important
When an HDS light is first screwed tight, the LED should come on for 7 seconds, dimly, and then turn off. This indicates a successful connection of the signal wire to the switch. Flashing is NOT a successful startup:

https://www.hdssystems.com/Products/EdcClickyAdvUsersGuide.pdf
"As you screw the battery compartment and head back together and if the battery compartment has been removed for an extended period, your flashlight comes on dimly for 7 seconds following a battery change to indicate that a reset has taken place and that your flashlight is functioning correctly."

IF instead the light flashes, it indicates a failure of the startup mode, and a failure to confirm correct connection of the signal wire to the switch.

I see this a LOT with Novatacs, that use a signal Spring. It indicates that the grounding path for the switch has been shorted to the grounding path to the body.

Whenever an HDS light flashes on startup, that is a failure. The solution is to unscrew and rescrew. You MUST get the 7 second dim light confirmation, whenever tightening the battery tube.

Suggest cleaning all lubricant off the threads, head and tail. I have had instances where excess lube causes this shorting.

Most of these issues are gone since Henry went with the embedded signal wire, but the flashes do indicate a Fail on startup.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is important
When an HDS light is first screwed tight, the LED should come on for 7 seconds, dimly, and then turn off.

Okay! I took the battery compartment off, waiting about 5 minutes, and installed the battery compartment. The light came on for about 7 seconds and then turned off.

Hopefully, that was my issue and it was that simple.....

Last edited:

d13avo

Enlightened
Hi RCS1300 I have had the exact same issue ever since I received my 2700K Rotary. I noticed also that the light would also do a reset all of its own accord as I would notice the locator flash on even though I hadn't turned it on. I did contact Henry who asked me to try a few things which did not work so in the end asked me to send the light to him. I charged the IMR cell again but sods law its not done it again since so I haven't posted it. I don't use this light as much but I do check it most days and touch wood it's still ok.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took the battery compartment off, waiting about 5 minutes, and installed the battery compartment. The light came on for about 7 seconds and then turned off.

well done

fwiw, for impatient types, like me, waiting is optional if:

https://www.hdssystems.com/Products/EdcClickyAdvUsersGuide.pdf
"The simplest way to perform a reset is to turn on your flashlight (with the button released) and open the battery compartment until your flashlight turns off and then replace the battery compartment."

fwiw, I also find that after an error (failure to see the 7 seconds dim light, and instead seeing the flashing), unscrewing and rescrewing does not require waiting 60 seconds for the battery detect circuit to activate.

thanks for sharing your experience, its worth more than words

the HDS is very smart, and gives a lot of feedback, IF the operator learns to recognize the various confirmation and error signals it is capable of giving

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Trouble is you start to not trust the light, and you're waiting for it to happen.
I'd put that cell to one side and use a different one and just hope that't it doesn't happen again.
P
You should never completely trust any tool anyway. That's why the EDCer's motto is "Two is one, and one is none." Carry a backup light, even if it's just a little keychain light; it will still be better than nothing if your main flashlight does fail on you, and it will provide the peace-of-mind that you thought you had before you noticed your main flashlight isn't perfect.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a fully charged battery, the light works several times and then it will not turn on. I remove the battery for 60 seconds, replace the battery, and the light works fine...

Hi RCS1300 I have had the exact same issue ever since I received my 2700K Rotary. I noticed also that the light would also do a reset all of its own accord as I would notice the locator flash on even though I hadn't turned it on. I did contact Henry who asked me to try a few things which did not work so in the end asked me to send the light to him.

Same here. My sw45 executive also exhibited these symptoms. Press the switch, no light. Then the error message, followed by the locator flash. After a reset, everything appeared normal, but then it happened again about a week later. Fresh primaries both times. On another occasion, the light performed a soft reset all on its own, without disconnecting the battery. The problem is definitely in the brain of the flashlight, because I got the error with two different battery tube assemblies.

Precisely my issue. I have two other executives that function properly, but I don't trust the sw45. I sent it back to Tuscon a couple of months ago. Henry says that an intermittent problem is the most difficult to find.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
My flashlight locator flash just came on, on its own, while I was sleeping. I was able to turn it off.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to know that mine is not the only one. Hopefully, Henry will uncover the problem with mine and repair everyone else's too.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im sure Henry will figure it out.

these 3 High CRI lights share symptoms. I do not think it is caused by the CRI.

RCS1300
d13avo
Modernflame

I believe they were all purchased summer 2018
I do not believe Locator flash is the cause of the problem, nor do I think the FW 2.18 is the cause of the problem

I believe the lights are resetting themselves due to a power supply problem
this can be detected by the fact that Locator flash comes on after a reset (IF it was previously enabled)

edited: to reduce the amount of speculation, since we now know Modernflames light had a power supply problem

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting question! I can confirm that I enable Auto Off and True Momentary on all of my HDS lights. It would be awesome if I could fix the problem just by deactivating the True Momentary feature, which I don't really need.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
My seal I just received back and asked for the 2.18 version. The light had a faulty tail but all good now. I ve got lockout turned on and if I notice anything not normal I ll give you guys the heads up. Another question is could it be to do with a specific led? Maybe bad batch? 🤔
I intend to do a little review on YouTube when I get a decent camera as I m out in the sticks now!