Funny sort of non-flashlight story

MX421

Enlightened
Had a misunderstanding on my gas utility and they sent a contractor to turn it back on. I was a little upset about the whole issue since it was the gas company's fault, so i wasn't in the best of moods when he came. Anyway, he wanted to come in and look at all the gas appliances before turning the gas back on. I point him to the attic and he asks where the light switch is, i tell him there is a string up there that you pull to turn it on. He reached in his pocket and i hear something and assume he is going for his flashlight. As a flashlight buff, I then look to see what light he uses and figure it'll lighten up my mood since i know i won't be able to resist talking lights...then he pulls out a match and lights it to see...

I couldn't believe it, I was totally stunned. He messes with a flammable gas all day and all he has to light his way are matches? I can understand he needs them to light pilot lights, etc. Anyway, it brings home that not everyone is into flashlights.

Anyway, thought it was funny and thought I'd share.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Even when dealing with a so-called "Professional," never underestimate the sheer awesomeness of Human Stupidity. :shakehead

MX421

Enlightened
You sure it wasn't a Maglite solitaire?😂😂😂

Not unless that model had some sound effects that sounded like a match being lit... :crackup:After he got down, it struck me that the noise i heard that i thought was him going through his pocket was him getting out the matchbox and as i said i heard him strike the box to light the match.

If i wouldn't have been in such a bad mood i might have offered one of my giveaway lights, but the whole things stunned me. Its not often i am dumbfound for words, but i definitely wasn't expecting that.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out here they issue underwater kinetics intrinsically safe lights, water resistant & 4xAA. Subcontractors are on their own

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope that's not what he uses to find a gas leak! LOL I hope he brought the used match back down with him!!

When I had my home's propane tank filled, the technician lit the pilot light, then pulled out a butane BBQ lighter... he lights it up and runs it all along the exposed gas line in my garage. When I asked what he was doing, he cheerfully replied "checking for gas leaks".
I may not be a total moron(ask my wife, that point is debatable), but using an open flame [emoji91] to check for a gas leak just seems like a bad idea....I understand that propane is heavier than air & if I don't smell the oderant they add that theoretically the chance of explosion is lessened, but still.....
So I ask what happens when he finds a leak? He says "it lights up like a birthday candle-just a small flame-I turn it off, make the repair and then check again...

MX421

Enlightened
Out here they issue underwater kinetics intrinsically safe lights, water resistant & 4xAA. Subcontractors are on their own

He was a subcontractor for the gas company, so that fits in with it not being company issued.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
He was a subcontractor for the gas company, so that fits in with it not being company issued.

Still..... You make a living in a certain field of work, you buy the tools you need to earn a pay check. Imagine going to a mechanic with a certain issue and realizing the only tools he owns is a Hammer, one Crescent wrench, and a Hatchet! And that's it!

And that sort of idiotic nonsense happens all the time. In a wide variety of fields. I work security at night, I've got three lights on me, plus a loaner in my work-bag. You have guys who work at night, need a flashlight, and yet absolutely refuse to go literally next door to Home Depot and get even a basic LED 2AA light for $12.oo

I mean, seriously?? They'd rather literally stumble around in the dark like morons, than spend literally a few bucks on a needed piece of equipment. Yet they'll spend hundreds on the latest iPhone that'll be obsolete within a year. They won't even use the light on their phone because, as one of them told me, he'd rather not risk stumbling and dropping his phone while walking around with it in hand. Work enough years with lazy, stupid, cheap individuals; and it starts getting to you.

MX421

Enlightened
Still..... You make a living in a certain field of work, you buy the tools you need to earn a pay check. Imagine going to a mechanic with a certain issue and realizing the only tools he owns is a Hammer, one Crescent wrench, and a Hatchet! And that's it!

And that sort of idiotic nonsense happens all the time. In a wide variety of fields.

I have to agree. In this case i didn't have a choice in selecting him. Makes me wonder about the gas company, but then again, he was probably the lowest bidder and i found out from the whole ordeal that the gas company bureaucracy rivals the federal government..

I mean, seriously?? They'd rather literally stumble around in the dark like morons, than spend literally a few bucks on a needed piece of equipment. Yet they'll spend hundreds on the latest iPhone that'll be obsolete within a year. They won't even use the light on their phone because, as one of them told me, he'd rather not risk stumbling and dropping his phone while walking around with it in hand. Work enough years with lazy, stupid, cheap individuals; and it starts getting to you.

Well, if they have an expensive dated phone, they aren't cheap, but point taken on the rest of the description. To some its not about doing the job the best way possible, its only about putting in as minimum as possible to get as much as possible.

In this case i thought it was actually dangerous.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Very dangerous, indeed! And yes, sadly sometimes we have no choice what sort of "Professional" we get and are forced to deal with. :shakehead