Streamlight Ultrastinger LED Mod.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently was gifted an incandescent Streamlight Ultrastinger from a local salesman and got bit by the modding bug again :) I ended up buying a second one just for the charger so now I have a spare to play with. I'm planning on converting one of them to LED, mainly as a mule or super flooder. What I have to start with is a Hotlips-D heat sink which I will turn down to fit into the stinger.

The battery specs are NiCad 1.8 Ah, 6 volt.

I could use some suggestions with choosing an LED and driver to match. I have a few of my own ideas but I would like to see yours :twothumbs

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?25106-Hotlips-C-and-D-heatsinks-ALL-AVAILABLE

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lol'ed at Hotlips. Was just watching the original 1970 MASH movie a couple days ago.

https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/ultrastinger-led

Had to look up that model, it's a long-barrel torch, fed by (5) nickle metal hydride cells. 6v total. That kinda battery tube does give you plenty of options. Have you cracked open the head to see what you've got to work with? Do you have a friend with a lathe to help?

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
The heat sink will just about fit as it is now. My brother in law can turn it down for me. My plan is to mount the LED, pot the driver and use a bi pin connector under the sink. I would like to find an LED/driver combo compatible with the lights current format but there is enough real estate inside to replace the switch and use Li-ion cells.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'd definitely keep the Li-Ion cells in the plans for this.
I suppose you can still buy Ni-MH but that's old tech, right? I remember my old Makita cordless drill, had it in the 90's and hated it back then...

Warnertax

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight Ultrastinger LED Mod

Looks very nice I threw some LEDs on my truck and have thought about doing more, but looks like you beat me to it Where do you get your LEDs from?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Streamlight Ultrastinger LED Mod

i had ultrasinger, tried moding it, but the reflector did not work good with p7 led, latest led at the time. so i abandoned the idea. maybe it will work better with newer leds.