Flashlights just got 2x brighter--new Licerion plant

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://m.digitaljournal.com/pr/4028886

Looks like, finally, we will be getting samples of Lithium Sulfur batteries-new plant! And lithium sulfur should be around 2x energy dense as lithium cobalt. Also, safer.

These cells will need 2 in series for 4 volt. Maybe, 3 series for true buck switching driver for 95% efficient driver, as opposed to the 70% amc7135 linear buck.

They look to me like the ideal cell for headlamps and left wrist lights (for left had use). Probably could also shrink the edc.

(As noted, and expressed before, I hate the runtime and lux of typical edc.)

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice if it works out. But, I'll wait to see. Also, no mention in the article of the power output of these cells.

parametrek

Enlightened
Improved energy density doesn't make lights brighter. As WalkIntoTheLight implied, that is from power density. At the moment power density isn't even the limiting factor. LED lights aren't brighter because of heat. Dissipating 40 watts is hard. Batteries that can source 40 watts are easy.

These developments are good news. It means that commercial batteries are only "5 years away" instead of "10 years away." But there is a very good chance that even once they come to market we won't be able to use them in flashlights. It is much more likely that a new chemistry is going to target a small niche where it stands out and can command a substantial premium. For example smart watches or underground sensors or biomedical implants. But I do tend to be cynical about battery developments :)

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a technical point, a camera flash can be bright. But in practice, desired runtime plus form factor is the biggest limiting factor to brightness. As far as heat goes, my cpu heat sink mounted headlamp and wristlights are limited by the puny capacity of two Panasonic 3400mah, which is the heaviest allowed. I absolutely hate my single 18650 edc for their short runtime, which I can't stress highly enough. Double their runtime, without making heavier, and I will love them.

Licerion licenses psion power LiS technology. There are scores of battery parameters, easily forgotten - just like choosing a cell phone, where an awesome phone can stumble on one area, making it unusable.... I suspect LiS might have a size change, depending on charge, which is fine for a head lamp or wristlight. Inside a tube, might not work. So, stupid car tire test, might not be for the LiS. On a cellphone, I would gladly allowa rubber back, if it meant 20 hours of continuous use. 5.5-6amp hour cells of today, only can squeeze out 8-10 hours of continuous use, far short of what's needed when traveling in a foreign city or really long workday.