Flashlights for Daily Use and Occasional Stargazing

pcgeek

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I am looking for a flashlight for daily use but could also be used for stargazing occasionally.

For astronomy usages, models with adjustable lumens are a must.
Models with white & secondary red LEDs would also be great although white LEDs with a detachable red filter lens would work, too.
Models with an AA battery as the power source are preferred since they are ubiquitous so I can still use it in case of emergency.
Dual powered models are even better. e.g. AA + 18650. Hopefully it's not too big so it can fit in my pocket.

I would avoid models with PWM dimming if possible. I am new to flashlights but I hate computer monitors with PWM dimming.
My budget is $50 but I might be willing to pay a little more if you think it's a perfect match for me and is BIFL.

I've found several similar posts on this forum, below are my thoughts of the recommendations in those posts.

Specialized models designed for astronomy such as the Rigel Systems Starlite 2 aren't a good choice for me since stargazing is my 2nd priority. I would use it as a regular flashlight most of the time.
The new SureFire Aviator looks exactly like what I am looking for, but it's way over my budget.
The Zebralight H502r is a headlamp and only has the red LED, so it can't be used as a regular flashlight.
The LRI PPRO Proton looks good on paper, but it's unreliable according to the reviews.
The Mini Maglite with Red Filter is suitable for my needs and is reliable, but it's too dim as a daily flashlight in today's standards.

Is there any other suggestions?
Thanks for your help!

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Up to $50.
But if you think it's a perfect match for me and it has BIFL quality, then I might be willing to bump my budget up to $70.

3) Format:
I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches)
or
SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
or
Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)

6) Manufacturer:
I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a “host” or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a “drop-in” emitter from another source).
Ready to go out of the box would be the best.
But I am fine with a little DIY work.

7) What power source do you want to use?
I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
Models with an AA battery as the power source are required since they are ubiquitous. I am sure I can find an AA battery in case of an emergency.
I also have lots of AA Eneloops.

Dual powered models are even better. e.g. AA (Required) + 18650 (Optional). Hopefully the flashlight won't be too big so it can still fit in my pocket.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
The flashlight needs to have adjustable brightness levels.
It should be dim enough for stargazing but bright enough for everyday usages.
For reading texts when stargazing, I would like it to be 1-10 lumens. (Infrequent.)
For other daily usages, 15-150 lumens will do. (This is my main usage.)

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
For reading texts when stargazing → All Flood
For other daily usages → Narrow Flood

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
For reading texts when stargazing → Less than 1 yard/meter
For other daily usages → 2-20 yards

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.
Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
The case doesn't have to be "rugged" since I won't abuse it. (Actually I love rugged stuffs, but my budget says no. :D)
But the internal electronic components needs to be high quality and reliable.
I don't use the flashlight all the time, but I don't want it to suddenly fail when I needed it the most (e.g. In an emergency).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
Any size switch will do.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
I want SOS mode. (blinks in ...---... emergency pattern)
The SOS mode is nice to have. But I am fine with simulating it manually with my fingers. :D

14) Material/Finish/Coating
I don’t care.
It would work for me as long as they are durable.

15) Water resistance
None needed
IPX4 (Splash resistant)
IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
It's also a nice to have feature, but I can live with one that is not water resistant.

16) Storage conditions
In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
Emergency kit (long standby periods)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
Red filter (for preserving night vision).
Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
Models with white & secondary red LEDs is great but white LEDs with a detachable red filter lens would work, too.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you would really like the Nitecore EA11. Dual fuel AA/14500.. It has a one lumen Low Low, and depending on the fuel, a max of around 200 lumens or 900 lumens. It also has a very small secondary red LED that can be used for close up work (it isn't very bright). It fiets very well in its holster on my belt, to the point that I don't even fell it unless I need to get at it. Since stargazing can sometimes be cool to cold, it will also work very well carried in jacket pocket or a side pocket on cargo pants. The MSRP is ~$65, but with the holiday season upon us, you should be able to find it for less.
Other Nitecore lights that would work are the MT06MD, a two AAA light with a 4 lumen low, the Tube, which has a built-in USB rechargeable cell and ramps between 1 lumen and around 100 lumens. It is available in both normal white LED or red LED, as well as other colors. The last would be the TIP, again USB rechargeable, with a 1 lumen low.
I personally would get the EA11 and the Tube. Even at full MSRP, the combo shouldn't cost more than $75, and again, they should be on sale for the holidays. You could take along a small power bank so as to be able to recharge the last two while in the field.

pcgeek

Newly Enlightened
I think you would really like the Nitecore EA11. Dual fuel AA/14500.. It has a one lumen Low Low, and depending on the fuel, a max of around 200 lumens or 900 lumens. It also has a very small secondary red LED that can be used for close up work (it isn't very bright). It fiets very well in its holster on my belt, to the point that I don't even fell it unless I need to get at it. Since stargazing can sometimes be cool to cold, it will also work very well carried in jacket pocket or a side pocket on cargo pants. The MSRP is ~$65, but with the holiday season upon us, you should be able to find it for less.
Other Nitecore lights that would work are the MT06MD, a two AAA light with a 4 lumen low, the Tube, which has a built-in USB rechargeable cell and ramps between 1 lumen and around 100 lumens. It is available in both normal white LED or red LED, as well as other colors. The last would be the TIP, again USB rechargeable, with a 1 lumen low.
I personally would get the EA11 and the Tube. Even at full MSRP, the combo shouldn't cost more than $75, and again, they should be on sale for the holidays. You could take along a small power bank so as to be able to recharge the last two while in the field.

Thanks for your suggestions!
The Nitecore EA11 sounds good.
But it looks like the model has been discontinued?

pcgeek

Newly Enlightened
Coast PX 20. I was surprised how much I like this light. Pelican 7600, pricier and brighter. I use that one everyday.
Pelican 7600 looks interesting!
Unfortunately AA batteries are not supported, only the propriety ones or CR123 * 2 would work.

Latest posts