Z2jeyEk.jpg

R1GropY.jpg

YIVO8vR.jpg

Things it has that my other Novatacs do not
1. A serial Number
2. Different clip
3. Positive nipples
4. Tailcap not marked Made in USA
5. Custom engineered PVC anti rattle device...

now the wait begins

questions
Is that what people call Natural HA?
Is it type III, Class 2 Anodising?
Is this a Gen1 Novatac built in Tucson?

to be continued...

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
thank you both

Im starting a rumor its from the HogoTac era. ;-)

Happy TurkeyDaze

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Small world, we know all the best hangouts.. LOL
Thanks for sharing info. That informs that you did not get the one I know about.

did you do the 250 click yet :)

If anyone reading this wants a Novatac 2xAA Classic, I have no plans to buy the one I know about, PM me and I will share info.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you like the tint
I have not had any novatints Ive disliked
I did get a couple reflectors with fresnel rings that I consider less than optimal because they make a slightly less focused hotspot

also thinking of skipping the 250 click dance for a bit, and just learn to enjoy the Gen1 120T in stock config

Im trying to read up on the modes and sequence for your Classic, it seems very similar to the 120T and Storm

can you educate me about your Classic, is it High mode first, press for strobe, double click to 30 and triple click to 0.3?

These 4 mode Clickies are very convenient for a full range of applications I use a light for over the course of the day. Im EDCing a Storm with pretty much the same as stock presets, just in a less tactical order.. set to come on at minimum..

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say for sure with a 1xxxx number, and the brass pos. nipples, that is a Tuscon light. Yes, natural HA, but I'm pretty sure the tailcap is a replacement. I think the original would have said "Made in U.S.A".

The tube is of course one of the "2x123" tubes from the Basic/Ultimate era. Works great, as long as you only use single cells in it. Mine has an 18650 and a brass bar mod in it now. I'm pretty sure you already know that Novatac engines only handle up to 4.2 volts, but it's always worth repeating.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Hondo, very helpful as usual.
I have purchased a 17670 tube in the past, from datiLED. He has more if anyone wants some.

In this case the seller of the 120T with the positive nipples, listed the longer tube as 16650. I was a bit confused by that designation. Are there 2 different tubes, or just a naming difference. I cant compare to the 17670 I bought, because I no longer have it, as it went to a friend overseas.

Always good to repeat good info, as you mentioned, Novatac specs max out at 4.5 volts, and bad things can happen if a pair of 3v CR123 were to be used instead.

And imo, the brass bar mod is brilliant, and for reference this is the link

I also searched for the PVC mod, but did not find it. If anyone digs up the link explaining the brilliant engineering that went into that, please share. I know Ive read comments about it from Hogo, somewhere.. That is partly why I mention the HogoTac era, to uncover the timeline a bit more, since I know Hogo worked for Novatac, after Henry left, but before Novatac moved to California, which I call the Israeli era, because the Spa mount was labeled Made in Israel, and the company in USA that was producing gun mounts, was staffed by an ex IDF member.. iirc.. Lots of History here.. not that it changes anything about the lights. Well, in a way it does, as it speaks to the beginning of outsourcing..

As to the tailcap, that was my first reaction, that it is a swap, but, Im not sure about that yet, and invite more details. Hogo has posted, link invited, that tailcaps with "Made in USA" were used on some of the Chinese Novatacs. The whole tailcap saga bears further education.

Fun times in NovArchaelogy.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tubes were definitely marketed as "2x123" tubes, as the Basic/Ultimate lights could take up to 8.4 volts. Your seller is, I think, being savvy by re-naming it a 16650 to discourage any two-cell use. A 16650 will also always work with the signal spring in place. Not so sure if all protected 17670's would work, but probably any unprotected ones would.

If some Chinese lights came with Made in U.S.A. caps, I wonder if any non-marked caps were used on the US made lights. I would only expect it to go one way, and I especially would not have expected such an early light to get a non-U.S.A. marked cap.

It's been a long time since I cracked the Classic models I have, but I think they came with A set to strobe, B to 30 lumens, C to 120 and D to 0.3. For me, not using strobe, it was a waste of a level, and I like a "low" of around 4-6 lumens or so between the moonlight and medium. But if you only want 3 levels besides strobe, it is fine.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if any non-marked caps were used on the US made lights.

I believe that might be the case, that some serialized Novatacs do not say Made in USA on the tail. I say that because I found this photo of a 120T with the EDC labeling on the head (which means it has a serial number on the other side), and no Made in USA on the tail. This photo is not from the light I purchased (that has the same tail w no Made in USA).

pic is hosted on my image site, but is also a click link to the original source.

I also found this pic of a serialized 120P, with no Made in USA mark on the tail

Im still unsure if those two images are just artist renderings or actual lights, but, my 120T does match the photos lack of Made in USA

I would only expect it to go one way, and I especially would not have expected such an early light to get a non-U.S.A. marked cap.

I agree, and I had the same assumption until I found those images.

Selfbuilt has a 120P w serial number 16035 and it does say Made in USA on the tailcap.
He also has a Storm and a Classic with no Made in USA mark. So like you, (and I until now) he believes only USA models got the Made in USA marked tailcap.
Pics of Selfbuilts Made in USA label in this review..

I have a Pewter SPA Defense Novatac that say Made in USA on the tail, with a gun mount that says Made in Israel.. so it is still inconclusive, imo, to assume that only USA models got the Made in USA label. Moreso it is still inconclusive, to assume ALL USA models had the Made in USA Label on the tail. Note also that the serialized 120T I just bought, has the PVC antirattle device in the tail.. and afaik, that PVC was Made in USA too.. verification pending.

I also have a Silver colored SPA Defense Novatac with a tailcap that says Made in USA, and a gun mount that says made in USA, but the light is made of lighter weight metal (screams. outsourcing to me). The Silver SPA weighs 9 grams less than the Pewter one. I consider the heavier body to be the USA version.

Also, the heavy body has flat knurling, while the lightweight body has very aggressive knurling.. iow, flat knurling and heavy body, speaks to me of USA, and aggressive knurling and lightweight body, suggest Chinese, to me. Furthermore, my Gold Storm has the lightweight body, and no Made in USA mark on the tail.. which is why I believe the Made in USA label on the tail of my lightweight Silver Spa, is not a guarantee that the light was made in USA.

Im hoping Hogo will chime in and enlighten us, since he was actually there at the time..

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im hoping Hogo will chime in and enlighten us, since he was actually there at the time..

Now you are using up one of your 3 wishes, then I'm back in the rum bottle...

The "Made in USA" was put on the tail cap in the middle of the first production run and then continued throughout NovaTac history... including the ones NOT made in USA (don't get me started on this as my blood pressure will skyrocket).

Here are 3 tail caps I happen to have laying around. As you can see, 2 do not have the "Made in USA" and one does. The blank ones are some of the first that were produced and definitely came from Tucson. Serial numbers starting 1xxxx are natural HA and were produced in Tucson. Serial numbers 2xxxx were black HA and most of those were also produced in Tucson.

img-2420.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now you are using up one of your 3 wishes, then I'm back in the rum bottle...

The "Made in USA" was put on the tail cap in the middle of the first production run and then continued throughout NovaTac history... including the ones NOT made in USA (don't get me started on this as my blood pressure will skyrocket).

Here are 3 tail caps I happen to have laying around. As you can see, 2 do not have the "Made in USA" and one does. The blank ones are some of the first that were produced and definitely came from Tucson. Serial numbers starting 1xxxx are natural HA and were produced in Tucson. Serial numbers 2xxxx were black HA and most of those were also produced in Tucson.

img-2420.jpg

BAM! Thank you Sir!

from which I infer that the 1xxxx 120T I just bought has an original Natural HA tail from the Tucson HogoTac Era :)

for my second wish, I wish you a very Happy Turkey ala Rum :)

and for my third wish, is the PVC made in USA?.. LOL!

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another interesting tidbit from NovaTac (Hogo era) is that somewhere in the vicinity of 500 went to the USMC BEFORE other NovaTac lights were released to the public. These did not have the flats on the sides of the lights, and only marked with "www.novatac.com" on the tail.

Here is a photo of one with the tool used to remove the nut in the head to get the "pill" out. The NT belongs to my father who brought it over to me for "service". He get's it back tomorrow... along with a Hogo made rhubarb pie.

img-2421.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dear god! How old is that tactical ring??

Im going with late 2006, so 12 years :)

Another photo, to confirm what Hogokansatsukan has said, that early first run Novatacs did not have the Made in USA mark,
a 120T, serial #11006 w no Made in USA on the tail
posted on 08-07-2007
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...1-NovaTac-120T-amp-120P-arrived!!-MORE-Photos!!
Some quick photos of the the 120T
DSC02948.jpg

My incoming 120T w serial #12269, also has no Made in USA mark, from which I surmise it is also a 2007 model. Note mine has the same pocket clip as the photo of #11006 above
AqnIYEJ.jpg

by the time selfbuilt got his 120P w serial #16035, in early 2008, the light did say Made in USA on the tail.
And the pocket clip had changed to a less deep curve at the tip, and the lanyard hole moved higher. This is actually the nicest of the 3 clip options imo.
selfbuilt said:

The 3rd clip style, is shown on my Gold Storm.. it is flimsy, flexy, has a split ring, and weighs less. It has a step in the blade:
m9BIwHt.jpg

The Spa Defense Novatacs did not ship with a clip, and the gunmount would not work with a clip on the light. The 120M model used a different gunmount that allowed for the use of a clip. The 120M models got the same clip as the Storm..

The Pewter colored SPA w the Made in Israel gunmount had a tailcap marked Made in USA, I believe that is true for that model.
The 9 grams lighter, Spa w the Made in USA gunmount also has the Made in USA mark on the tail. I do not believe that is accurate because the lights are 9 grams less heavy. By this time Novatac was using a Florida address, no longer California.
The 120M Novatacs have tailcaps that Do NOT say Made in USA.

To summarize about the clips, I believe the first two types are on Made in USA models, regardless what the tailcap says.
The third clip style, with split ring and step in the blade imho, came on lights that were outsourced, and their tailcaps do not say Made in USA.

Ztnva9D.png

fwiw, by August 2008 serial numbers disappeared and the Made in USA tailcap continued on the 120P. This light has the second type of clip. My guess is yes, Made in USA, based on the stainless steel bezel. The outsourced lights imo, are the ones with anodized aluminum bezels.

Note this tailcap no longer has the website for novatac, instead it has the model number.

If the word Novatac is by itself, the light has no serial number, and no website on the tail
aIOHSSI.png

If the word Novatac is followed by EDC, the other flat has the serial number, and the tailcap has the website

Last edited:

Lithium466

Enlightened
I also searched for the PVC mod, but did not find it. If anyone digs up the link explaining the brilliant engineering that went into that, please share. I know Ive read comments about it from Hogo, somewhere.. That is partly why I mention the HogoTac era, to uncover the timeline a bit more, since I know Hogo worked for Novatac, after Henry left, but before Novatac moved to California, which I call the Israeli era, because the Spa mount was labeled Made in Israel, and the company in USA that was producing gun mounts, was staffed by an ex IDF member.. iirc.. Lots of History here.. not that it changes anything about the lights. Well, in a way it does, as it speaks to the beginning of outsourcing..

As to the tailcap, that was my first reaction, that it is a swap, but, Im not sure about that yet, and invite more details. Hogo has posted, link invited, that tailcaps with "Made in USA" were used on some of the Chinese Novatacs. The whole tailcap saga bears further education.

Fun times in NovArchaelogy.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
I'm not sure the PVC mod isn't factory...I've read Henry saying it's causing stress on the threads, leading them to be destroyed after as little as 200 battery changes. True, not true? If it were my light, I'd remove it :)