Light for Personal Defense and General Use

AC-42

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, and intrigued by an EDC pocket light for personal defense and general use. If anyone could point me in the right direction of what to look at, I'd appreciate it.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
For personal defense, a bottle of pepper spray.

For EDC use, I've always loved Zebralights, but you'll have to be more specific with what kind of features you like.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF.

For personal defense with a flashlight, there isn't one with a tazer that fires 38 caliber rounds and has a siren. So the light would need to be part of a package.

Say, you find yourself cornered a light can temporarily blind the attacker while you incorparate another mechanism such as "flee". Strobe doesn't work on a lot of people any better than a retina sizzling bright, steady light.

I would suggest do some reasearch on how a flashlight can be an aid in such situations and consider some personal training.

Best regards.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It sounds cool to have a light for personal defense but trust me it don't work like that. If your a cop with a gun then yes.

PartyPete

Enlightened
The only type of light you could use for self defense wouldn't fit in your pocket; in other words light alone likely wouldn't deter someone but perhaps a large heavy light would. [emoji6]

I'd suggest a good pair of running shoes, a pocket light and some pepper spray if you want something for personal protection.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on the original post, I understood him to mean that he's looking for a tactical style flashlight to use within a larger strategy, not that he wanted to use the light as a stand alone self defense instrument.

More information would be helpful, but I'd begin by suggesting Elzetta, a company that specializes in tactical flashlights. With the high/low tail cap, the Alpha model is both a tactical light and a useful edc flashlight. There are larger, brighter models, which may fit the bill depending on budget, mode of carry, and output requirements.

OP, as Peter suggested, filling out the recommendation form might be the best way to get educated answers to your question.

There are some lights that are very effective as part of a personal defense system. However, they need to be attached to an accessory.

MtbFTxa.jpg

~ Chance

Kestrel

Flashaholic
As others have said, the best personal defense light is the one that works best at illuminating your intended target.

If I may be so bold as to suggest a slight redefinition of the OP's topic (yes?), I think that a subsequent discussion could be /tactical/ (i.e. high-only), vs. General Use (i.e. multimode - utility) aspects.

For my considerations, I greatly prefer single-mode or high-first lights; those designs are what I choose as part of my self-defense strategy / mindset.

Hope this helps ?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I know that some folks pursue a one-solution strategy for this, but I greatly prefer two lights; a medium-sized one for maximum output (and most often a single mode), /plus/ a smaller 'utility light' with multiple modes - particularly low & 'moonlight' options.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Yup.
For me it's a 2 primary cell light that starts on high with a wrist lanyard loop to grab with 2 fingers if centrifugal force is warranted. A 1 cell primary operated that starts on high and fits in my trouser pocket is a backup.
Both have a very useable low, but battery sipping option.

Now unlike many I have a third, even smaller backup to the backup in my other trouser pocket. All have kubatan ability but that is something I'm not trained for so I have something like an umbrella, a cane or other 'hidden' option available in times of need.

The Elzetta Bones is a good option. Simple, rugged and most important, reliable.

Last edited:

Charlie Hustle

Newly Enlightened
For self defense? A 6 d cell mag light. For light? Something else.

[FONT=&quot]That's what I'm thinking, something bigger.:D[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]With 2-cell 18650 lights one could still maintain decent speed:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]-Malkoff Wildcat V6 MD4 TriCap[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-ThruNite Catapult V5 regular XM-L or UT XP-L HI[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-NiWalker 750N1[/FONT]

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The only type of light you could use for self defense wouldn't fit in your pocket; in other words light alone likely wouldn't deter someone but perhaps a large heavy light would. [emoji6]

I'd suggest a good pair of running shoes, a pocket light and some pepper spray if you want something for personal protection.

LMAO. "A good pair of running shoes "