EDC + palm size throw, palm size flood

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, opened a credit card almost specifically for batteries and flashlights :clap:, it's first year no APR so I'm trying to spend maybe $600-700 in the first month so that way I have a decent chunk of time to pay it off. I'm 22 so don't laugh at $600-700 as my budget for some lights. I'm looking at a small edc preferably 500lumens or more with basically no throw. Would be nice if it was rechargeable from the base or slot/bay charger. USB is acceptable too just not preferred. 18650 would be fine too for edc if most of the size from the light is the battery doesn't need to be super small. Just small enough to fit in my pocket without taking up the whole pocket (example like Levi Jeans size pockets). Next light I'd like to get is a palm size maybe a little longer with a bigger head for throw, I don't mind if the head sticks out of the palm as long as it fits easily in the hand. I've seen some run off rechargeable 26650 and can be charged off a USB or charging dock. Next one is a palm size maybe a little bigger flood. Being most flood as possible with a good output of lumens. Then maybe a bigger more throwing of a light. Here's the lights I've been checking out, if anybody has some input on any of these, or would recommend a light that they've owned or own. I'd like it to be decent durability, just where it's going to last if drop it a few times or get it a little wet. I don't plan on soaking it in water or throwing it on the ground. My nite core went out after 2 drops from around 3-4feet. Slipped out of my hand and now only stays low mode. So no nite core for me I've had 3 and all 3 no longer work. Not abused or anything. Just a preference to avoid nite core. I hear ThruNite is pretty good for the prices and are decently durable if anybody would like to share their experiences with ThruNite. Lights I've been looking at are down below
- ThruNite catapult v6
- ThruNite TN40s
- ThruNite TN4a ( just to habe
- Olight M2T warrior
- Olight M1T Raider
- Olight S10R Baton
- S2R Baton II
- Fenix HL35 headlamp

I know I can't get all of these on my budget but I'd like to pick up as many lights possible for now with my wants/needs in mind. I have the x7 marauder coming in the mail. so out of those lights anybody have any insight complaints pros cons etc. thanks in advance - blglov

Last edited:

Luminous Van

Newly Enlightened
Armytek prime c1 pro is a good choice. Small, bright, magnetic tail cap/and charging.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a couple of Emisar lights need to be on that list for peanuts.

D4 triple, 18650/18350 with optional 18350 body. Get the pocket clip as well.

D1S single LED thrower. Maybe a bit fat in the head for pocket carry, but it throws about 700m.

D1 single LED pocket thrower. This throws better than the D4 triple, since it has a decent reflector. Get the pocket clip and 18350 body if you want to run it shorter, but don't need the clip.

D4S quad LEDs, 26650 li-ion, so a bit fatter in the hand, head is 39mm wide, so you can pocket it with little concern.

The first three are now $35 shipped from Hank at International-Outdoors, or a bit more from Mountain Electronics.

I've got the D4 and D1S and they're pimpy lights for not a lot of cash.

Chris

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
I think a couple of Emisar lights need to be on that list for peanuts.

D4 triple, 18650/18350 with optional 18350 body. Get the pocket clip as well.

D1S single LED thrower. Maybe a bit fat in the head for pocket carry, but it throws about 700m.

D1 single LED pocket thrower. This throws better than the D4 triple, since it has a decent reflector. Get the pocket clip and 18350 body if you want to run it shorter, but don't need the clip.

D4S quad LEDs, 26650 li-ion, so a bit fatter in the hand, head is 39mm wide, so you can pocket it with little concern.

The first three are now $35 shipped from Hank at International-Outdoors, or a bit more from Mountain Electronics.

I've got the D4 and D1S and they're pimpy lights for not a lot of cash.

Chris

Thanks chris!! I'll have to look into some other brands too I guess. Sometimes it's nice to try out new brands. Pretty reliable and can take a few drops? I've dropped my Fenix lights plenty of times and the original PD35 was the only one to go out, once it got a fat dent in the head, even after that it worked for a while. I'm assuming that's what ultimately did the light in. Lasted a year in a metal shop I used to work at so it seemed worth it for the abuse. It's like Ford or Chevy owners, sometimes they'll never change car manufactures because of the way they liked their first couple of vehicles, sorta my comparison. But I know there's a bunch of reliable and durable torch out there. With my budget I could probably pick up one of the lights you were talking about. Sometimes it's nice because you may find out that the brand you tried is a new favorite. I'm Australia at the moment, card came in the mail so I had my grandma check the mail and give me all the info for my card, so I'm ready to do the last of my research and comparisons and pick 3-4 maybe 5 lights I have to keep it under $600-700. Picking a few lights and some batteries within the next couple hours

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
A really fun light for just under $18.00 is the Lumintop Tool 2.0. And I'd buy the rechargable 14500 battery for it which will kick it up to 650 lumens. It throws about 127 meters if I recall correctly. Fits great in your pocket. See if YouTube has any films demonstrating its beam for you.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks chris!! I'll have to look into some other brands too I guess. Sometimes it's nice to try out new brands. Pretty reliable and can take a few drops? I've dropped my Fenix lights plenty of times and the original PD35 was the only one to go out, once it got a fat dent in the head, even after that it worked for a while. I'm assuming that's what ultimately did the light in. Lasted a year in a metal shop I used to work at so it seemed worth it for the abuse. It's like Ford or Chevy owners, sometimes they'll never change car manufactures because of the way they liked their first couple of vehicles, sorta my comparison. But I know there's a bunch of reliable and durable torch out there. With my budget I could probably pick up one of the lights you were talking about. Sometimes it's nice because you may find out that the brand you tried is a new favorite. I'm Australia at the moment, card came in the mail so I had my grandma check the mail and give me all the info for my card, so I'm ready to do the last of my research and comparisons and pick 3-4 maybe 5 lights I have to keep it under $600-700. Picking a few lights and some batteries within the next couple hours

Lately, I've been a 'broken record' on Emisar. Emisar is Hank of Noctigon fame, who made the M43 Meteor. It's a monster light and is still for sale. You can search this site for the 10,000,000 post thread on them, but basically it was (is) 'state of the art' at the time and Emisar is his newest offering.

For the money asked, you should really try the D4 (in limited colors presently) and maybe the D1S. $70 shipped for both and a three week wait, but for the D4, you want a Sony VTC5A 18650, since that light can pull between 15A-20A.

With your budget, I suggested them only because they are killer lights and they won't make even a dent in your proposed budget.

Chris

Blglov

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys! Ordered a couple ThruNite, sunwayman and an olight, still got a little money left so I'll look into the ones mentioned. Always nice to learn different lights.