My Ideal EDC

Uroboros

Newly Enlightened
TLDR:
- Very reliable and overbuilt ($100-200+ is expected)
- Not too wide or too long for front pocket carry in jeans
- Dependable turbo mode at a moments notice
- Access to other more general purpose modes for utility and to extend battery life.

Format:

I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

Size:
SMALL - Every day carry (4-5 inches).
Fits in front jean pocket, shaped like a cylinder without a significantly wider head.
(e.g. Narrower head than Elzetta and the higher output Malkoffs).

Emitter/Light source:
LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
I prefer a significant brightness increase over color accuracy when given a choice.

What power source do you want to use?
Single AA or CR123 sized cell.
Not too fond of 18650's because they tend to make the light too long and too wide, but it's not a deal breaker.
Examples of 1 x AA powered lights that output 300-400 lumens seem to be hitting the market (EagleTac and ?). This would be ideal.

How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
300-400+ lumens for Burst/Turbo mode
85 lumens mode
30 lumen mode
1 lumen mode
Something resembling those 4 modes would be ideal.

Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light
Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

Runtime:
Up to a few minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods) and
70 hours + for a moon mode.

Switch Size, Type, and location.
I only want a tail mounted switch.
The more reliable the better.
No secondary side switches.
Tail standing ability is preferred.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection.
Something like this:
Default mode is turbo full blast, ideally momentary only like a Surefire 6P.
If not momentary, then forward clicky (ON/OFF only)

Secondary mode (possibly accessed by twisting the tailcap or head) would give access to a few general purpose modes resembling 1, 35, and 85 lumen modes. If it's just one lower mode, that would be acceptable.

15) Water resistance
IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
Pocket/belt clip is a plus.

Uroboros

Newly Enlightened
I think an HDS Systems Rotary or Clicky would serve your needs well.

The HDS Tactical Rotary looks amazing, that might be at the top of the list for an all hell brakes loose light. I just would never carry it everyday because of the large diameter. If they made that light in a AA/14500 with some output, i'd have 2 of them. Thanks for getting me to look closer at HDS though.

Uroboros

Newly Enlightened
Eagletac d25c Ti seems to fit. I love mine. Got two.

The D25C Clicky has been my EDC for the last 5 years. It's a great $50 light. I'm looking for a step or two up in build quality and closer to my ideal. For instance, I don't really love the reverse clicky Turbo Mode that can light press into a Strobe mode under stress. Good call though, I may not find anything better when all is said and done.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
i think the Lumintop Tool 2.0 checks all the boxes: 650 lumens tops with a 14500 battery and 127 meters throw.

Uroboros

Newly Enlightened
i think the Lumintop Tool 2.0 checks all the boxes: 650 lumens tops with a 14500 battery and 127 meters throw.

That's quite the pocket rocket. I watched some videos to see how it works but I didn't like the UI where it remembers the last mode you used. Under stress I think it would be too easy to click into another mode by accident. Thanks for your recommendation though.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac d25c Ti seems to fit. I love mine. Got two.

While I'm back to carrying my V11R, my D25C Ti. has been in my pocket the most over the past 3-4 years. Mine is a 2014 and I've been looking for another, newer version, just to have.

Slimmer & shorter than the V11R and plenty of modes to suit my EDC needs.

It's also pretty much bullet proof, as I've dropped it multiple times and it's still working fine.

Chris

Uroboros

Newly Enlightened
While I'm back to carrying my V11R, my D25C Ti. has been in my pocket the most over the past 3-4 years. Mine is a 2014 and I've been looking for another, newer version, just to have.

Slimmer & shorter than the V11R and plenty of modes to suit my EDC needs.

It's also pretty much bullet proof, as I've dropped it multiple times and it's still working fine.

Chris
Yeah, I've had no problems with my D25C. Dropped mine a ton as well and never had a switch fail.

Uroboros

Newly Enlightened
The Streamlight ProTac1L-1AA comes close to meeting your criteria.

I see that you can program it to only utilize high mode. I like that and the recessed tail cap. Thanks.

The V11R is an interesting option as well since you can leave it set to high.