21700 Flashlight that Can Maintain 700+ Lumen Output for at least 45 min?

avantgardener

Newly Enlightened
Hi there!

I've been searching for the right flashlight to serve primarily as a bike light—and after a couple months' worth of searching for + buying + ultimately returning several flashlights for various unforeseen shortcomings, I decided I should just defer to the experts —> and see if you fine folk here might be able to help steer me in the right direction.

Ha, my series of flashlight-choice failures taught me that I wanted a light with a high-capacity battery than 18650—but, after breaking my handlebar mount, I realized that 26650 = just a bit too large —> so I've Goldilocks-ed my decision down to a 21700-style flashlight… which seems to me the perfect trade-off in terms of form factor + battery size. Here are the [ideal] flashlight characteristics I'm looking for (in order of importance):

1. BATTERY SIZE = 21700
2. OUTPUT = 700+ lumens after ~45 min. of use (in 40º-55ºF weather on a moving bike)
3. BEAM STYLE = more flood than throw (without too extreme a 'hotspot'—which I've found can be distracting while riding)
4. PRICE = < $70 5. COLOR TEMP = Prefer slightly cooler (~48-55K), but will go warmer for high CRI (Nichia 219C = quite lovely!)

I use my bicycle as my primary mode of transportation in a city with an unnerving number of bike + car accidents—ha, and I'm looking for a flashlight that will help me not-die… 😛 (It's also a city where I'm constantly at risk of having accessories stolen from my bike—and thus my preference for a standard flashlight vs. a dedicated bike light, since it's a lot more convenient to remove and throw into my bag for a quick run into a store).

The max lumen output is far less important to me than its step-down profile as it heats over time. It seems like a lot of the higher-output (but smaller form-factor) lights will dazzle your friends for all of a minute or two—before often dropping down to only ~15-20% (or less) of its initial output. I *did* quite like Zebralight's SC600Fd—except the battery capacity was just a smidge too small… and, once it got low, the light would dramatically step-down from moderate brightness to an almost imperceptible low level… which had the effect of suddenly throwing me into darkness, which was quite scary a few times when I was navigating through traffic and suddenly became virtually invisible.

Can you guys recommend any 21700 lights that have a step-down profile that might fit my needs? While I always keep a spare battery on me just to be safe, I regularly ride for upwards of an hour in the dark—so a light that could illuminate the road + make me easily noticeable to our reckless drivers for 60 minutes (meaning I wouldn't have to stop and battery swap) would be ideal.

One flashlight that *does* seem to fit the bill = Acebeam's EC65 —> however, it's a bit above the upper limit of my budget… And I wanted to see if there might not be another light out there at a lower price point I've overlooked…

Thank you so much for your help! 🙂

—Michael

maukka

Enlightened
The upcoming Wuben TO50R (4x LH351D 5000K CRI90) fits the bill, but you'll have to wait for it a while longer. In its current form there isn't a 700 lumen output mode, but the 1250 lumen high mode will step down to 850 lumens and stays there for about 2 hours. On a bike it may not even step down and still provide you with enough runtime.

avantgardener

Newly Enlightened
The upcoming Wuben TO50R (4x LH351D 5000K CRI90) fits the bill, but you'll have to wait for it a while longer.

oooh!! That *would* seem to fit the bill! (Ha, and I thought exploring my *Nichia-curious* side = a daring break from an otherwise CREE-lit world… But I didn't even know 'LH351D's existed! 😛 )

That said… Do you know when the TO50R is likely to be released? I couldn't find any further details on it… And if it's not likely going to be available for sale within the next 2-ish weeks, I will probably have to settle for another option—since I'm currently stuck having to bike using one of those super-cheap, super-crappy (and super-dangerous, for my purposes) Chinese knockoffs that allege 10,000 LUMENS!!! at a ~$3 price point… 🤦

Thanks so much for your help with this!!

Cheers,

Michael

Keitho

Enlightened
Until the SC700 shows up, I'm using an sc600 on my handlebar...and a second to turn on when the first runs out (ZL lights are a great battery holder). I'm with you on constantly searching for that grail light for the bike, and keep coming back to ZL for their lightweight and efficiency. I'm very happy with my sc64 almost permanently on my helmet, fingers crossed for the SC700 as a handlebar flooder soon!

coke9

Newly Enlightened
I mountain bike and use a powerful helmet light as my primary light and use a flashlight on the bars as a backup. Previously I used a Zebralight sc600 which was fine, but I didn't like the hotspot and it didn't have quite enough output.

Currently using an Acebeam EC65 that was modified with Samsung 4000K hcri LEDs. It's been the perfect bar light. Huge wall a light with just enough throw, great tint, and the runtime is much better with the 21700 battery.

Keitho

Enlightened
What a good idea, using those Samsung LED on the ec65. What kind of runtimes do you get?

coke9

Newly Enlightened
What a good idea, using those Samsung LED on the ec65. What kind of runtimes do you get?

I had my helmet light modified with the Samsung LEDs so that's why I put them in the EC65. The 2 lights blend perfectly

I can't really comment on runtime yet. Last night I rode for over 2 hours on medium mode and had no issues, but I haven't had a chance to do much testing.

NPL

Enlightened
Looks like the Zebralight sc700d can sustain a constant 900 lumens without active cooling and has a peak output of 3000 lumens of high CRI 5000k light.

Apparently Zebralight will also release the frosted sc700fd version soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

avantgardener

Newly Enlightened
The upcoming Wuben TO50R (4x LH351D 5000K CRI90) fits the bill, but you'll have to wait for it a while longer. In its current form there isn't a 700 lumen output mode, but the 1250 lumen high mode will step down to 850 lumens and stays there for about 2 hours. On a bike it may not even step down and still provide you with enough runtime.

So it's taken almost four months now, but I managed to tough it out with my [unsafe] old light + hold off on upgrading in anticipation of the upcoming Wuben TO50R you recommended (…ha, the struggle = *real* —> but the TO50R specs were too perfect for my needs to resist)… And I'm happy to report that it's *finally* available—and will start shipping out mid-month (i.e., March 2019).

The MSRP = a hefty $119.99 —> but they're currently running a 'group buy' that knocks a good chunk off of that retail price—and I thought I'd update this old post in case any of you were interested + wanted to get in on the discounted price.
Thanks again, maukka, for being so on top of the torch-game… Can't wait to learn whether it's been worth the wait!! 🤞😀

—Michael

Edit (3/4):Didn't realize posting links to external URLs = not permitted—and my link to the GB thread in my original message was edited out by a mod… But I trust that y'all are savvy enough to know how to find said group buy thread hosted on a popular flashlight forum that's not-this-one… 🤫
:rock:

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
Thanks for the tip on the Wuben...I'll be interested to learn the weight, and see how it performs in the real world.

Keitho

Enlightened
Just got word on the other forum that the weight is 201g with the battery. Now I'm excited, too. Compared to the SC700d, it is skinnier, longer, 40g heavier, has USB charging and a power bank, and has a magnet. I'm still not sure it would ever fit in a front pants pocket, but it is an interesting high CRI 21700 flooder that might ride on my handlebar...

avantgardener

Newly Enlightened
Just got word on the other forum that the weight is 201g with the battery. Now I'm excited, too. Compared to the SC700d, it is skinnier, longer, 40g heavier, has USB charging and a power bank, and has a magnet. I'm still not sure it would ever fit in a front pants pocket, but it is an interesting high CRI 21700 flooder that might ride on my handlebar...

Awesome! I'm crossing my fingers + jumping all in--hoping this is, indeed, my future full-time handlebar rider. Though I share your concern about pocket-ability —> when it comes to what I can fit comfortably in my front pants pocket: *skinny-but-longer* = definitely preferable to *short-but-thicker*… [Ha, and on that note, I will cut myself off lest I make an inappropriate innuendo-y joke that gets me in trouble 😛 ]

--Michael