In search of Big reflector headlamp

Loganmerrell

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks,
I'm in search of a new headlamp again.
I previously had a streamlight Pro Tac (too heavy,beam not wide enough and a little too bright). And then I had the Streamlight Bandit(nice and light, too floody, didn't like the rechargeable only battery).

So now I'm looking for something in between. But I would like to have a little fun with this one. The headlamp is used on my hard hat all day at work and I would like to find a light that has a BIG reflector, kind of like the old time miners lights. Something like 2"-2 1/2" dia. I would prefer that it didn't weigh a lot(I hate feeling like a bobble head all night with a ton of extra weight up top). I would also prefer that it used cr123a batteries(I get these for free).
The streamlight protac is listed as having 600lumens, with really was too much for my work. So maybie something like 400 with a nice semi floody beam pattern.

Dose something like this exist? Or is there someone out there that could make me something like this?

Thanks,
You guys rock
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c3/e5/06/c3e5065060e9b8c0e666183ac112f3f8.jpg

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it a big reflector that you want, or a certain beam profile you want? It sounds to me like the latter.

The Streamlight Protac HL headlamp, at 8500 Cd from 635 lumens (13.4 Cd/lm) is very throwiy as far as headlamps go. There is a lot in between that and the pure flood output of the Bandit.

The floody versions of Zebralight's headlamps, and the Armytek headlamps are both around 2-3 Cd/lm, which many of us find a good mix of short to medium range illumination. They don't take CR123A's (I think the Armytek Wizard might be capable of running on them, but since it now has a built-in charger, that's probably not recommended lest you mistakenly try to charge it with non-rechargeable batteries inside), but they're intended to run on rechargeable batteries anyways.

The Fenix HP12 and HL55 are capable of running on either 2 x CR123A batteries or 1 x rechargeable 18650, and should also have a floodier beam than your Protac, but not quite as floody as the Zebralights or Armyteks.