FOLOMOV 18650S Flashlight

Wonder

Newly Enlightened
The light is of very good quality. The fit and finish is on par with lights costing 2 or 3 times as much. The light comes with a USB rechargeable 2600 mAh 18650 cell. As far as I know this is almost unheard of in this price range. The out of box open circuit voltage of the the cell was 3.88 volts. This a is good voltage for pre-sale storage. Charge it up before first use. I tested the supplied battery's capacity using an XTAR Dragon VP4+ and the battery passed no problem with 97% of its rated capacity. 2539 mAh out of 2600 mAh, very good. Great when you consider the cost of this light. The light uses a Nichia 219D LED. It is warm similar to that of a incandescent flashlight. I'm not normally a fan of lights this warm but they did something right because I do like the beam tint. YMMV. See screen shots and note the beam tint is not as warm in person though still considered warm. This light has 900 lumen on turbo and is more throwy than floody and can really reach out there for such a compact light. It does have some ringing in the spill (see screen shots). Run times seem OK considering the size of the supplied battery. I will do testing on run times at a later date. See screen shots for more information.

If you like lights with tail switches this is a good choice. It does not have momentary mode unless in tactical mode. This may be a niggle for some. The GUI is different than any of the other lights I have. In illumination mode, Press to on, each press ramps the light up one level. There are 5 levels and once level 5 is reached it ramps down one level for each press, so 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1. Moon light mode is accessible from off by a long press. Strobe, SOS and Beacon are available via a quick double click from on or off. Each additional double click advances to the next mode. So double click Strobe. Double click SOS and double click Beacon. Note it will always start on strobe. Switch to and from Tactical mode by pressing the tail switch 7 times. The light will flash 6 times to indicate the mode was changed. Press and hold the tail switch for momentary turbo. Quick press tail switch for turbo. Quickly press the tail switch twice for Strobe. You can lock the light out by loosening the tail cap slightly. Pros Great price Fit and finish Compact for a 18650 light Comes with a USB rechargeable 18650 cell 900 lumen output on turbo Nichia 219D LED Has tons of modes Can tail stand Feels good in hand Cons No momentary mode unless in tactical mode. Some ringing in the spill LED tint, some will like it some will not The pocket clip is not reversible or deep carry The mode system may take some getting used to The head of the light gets very hot on turbo. Note the manual does not stipulate how long turbo can run before stepping down. In my testing turbo runs for about 60 seconds then starts to ramp down and is fully ramped down by 120 seconds. I would guess it steps down to about 300 lumen. This is all an educated guess on my part so YMMV. For the size and weight of this light 1 minute on turbo sounds about right. IMO the 18650S is a good choice for around the house or for EDC especially for the price. The price/quality ratio is hard to beat. Note I'm going to EDC this light for a few weeks and will report back with any pertinent updates. If interested you can get 40% off on Amazon. 30% off coupon is available through the CPF Facebook page link below, plus an additional 10% off on Amazon. Note you do need to be a Prime member to get the discounts. https://www.facebook.com/groups/CandlePowerForums/search/?query=Folomov%2018650S

bFS5zvd.jpg
jC6h7bd.jpg
qOdBIuH.jpg
YhU52jb.jpg
U2kjk92.jpg
q3yLvnY.jpg
NPY0Aqi.jpg
ABN33Wh.jpg

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review.

I've had one about 5 days and like everything about it, except the UI. I really don't want to the switch 6 times and go through high and turbo to get to a lower output,if I'm in Medium.

The size, clip and mode spacing are great for me.

I'm looking for a light of similar size & mode spacing, but with a different UI at a similar price point.