EDC for active military, inferred, red and green LEDs CI6 or MH23 or other?

Rwilliam

Newly Enlightened
Looking at Nitecore CI6 chameleon series for an Army tanker being deployed to the Middle East.

I bought him a MH23 mini thrower, usb charger. I am thinking something similar with green and red LEDs would be more useful? Or something like the CI6 that has inferrred. Might come in handy?

The MH23 is 2000 lumins the CI6 is 400. So maybe I send him both for Xmas. If you know of better light please post it.

Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated!

Taz80

Enlightened
The Streamlight Sidewinder? the colored leds have four modes and a much better beam than the CI6. The white light is only 55 lumens, which is more than enough for most tasks. It can also be mounted to your gear or helmet, which could come in handy.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sidewinder has a bad reputation for cutting itself on when it didn't need to be. I heard rumors of some getting spotted and shot (or shot at) while in combat situations at night. I played with one for a few months and couldn't get it to replicate but the soldier who let me mess around with it when he got home swore up and down it happened several times.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
First-Light USA? I have a few videos on YouTube. My channel is sdsteveb at the moment but may change soon.
Not sure if this is good for you but they are fantastic lights. And they do em with infrared too.

Rwilliam

Newly Enlightened
First-Light USA? I have a few videos on YouTube. My channel is sdsteveb at the moment but may change soon.
Not sure if this is good for you but they are fantastic lights. And they do em with infrared too.
Thx very interesting products

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore srt series. You can set the light on red green or blue so when you turn it on there are no surprises but they don't have infrared

Rwilliam

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore srt series. You can set the light on red green or blue so when you turn it on there are no surprises but they don't have infrared

thx!

The sidewinder would probably be the best choice he could clip it on many locations.

Rwilliam

Newly Enlightened
The Streamlight Sidewinder? the colored leds have four modes and a much better beam than the CI6. The white light is only 55 lumens, which is more than enough for most tasks. It can also be mounted to your gear or helmet, which could come in handy.

Thx! This plus MH23 due the usb and easy on recharging. The sidewinder for the field. One is none, 2 is 1.

ordered the 14512 with mount and strap. Thx to all above.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sidewinder has a bad reputation for cutting itself on when it didn't need to be. I heard rumors of some getting spotted and shot (or shot at) while in combat situations at night. I played with one for a few months and couldn't get it to replicate but the soldier who let me mess around with it when he got home swore up and down it happened several times.

Curious about this....the switch is easy enough to activate but the selector ring seems to stay in place.If you set it on IR there shouldn't be any visible light unless the enemy is using night vision. Maybe Streamlight should consider adding a lock out position to the selector ring ? Seems like many modern lights kept in a ready state would have a high potential for accidental activation.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a CI6 that was given a power boost by Vinh(Sky Lumen), 3 sidewinders and 3 different SRT models. Each has it's pros & cons. The CI6 gets my vote with a caveat: ask how important the "Lumens factor" is to him. I have lights up to 10,000 Lumens, but since I don't do Search & Rescue anymore I rarely truly need more than 200 Lumens and find the lower settings are used over 75% of the time. I have never had a Sidewinder come on unintentionally, but if it was me in enemy territory I would probably not chance it. Since I always carry at least 3 lights in "serious" situations, having a bright thrower and a CI6 would be a good combo. I also suggest that the lights share a common power source so different size batteries are not needed...

Rwilliam

Newly Enlightened
I own a CI6 that was given a power boost by Vinh(Sky Lumen), 3 sidewinders and 3 different SRT models. Each has it's pros & cons. The CI6 gets my vote with a caveat: ask how important the "Lumens factor" is to him. I have lights up to 10,000 Lumens, but since I don't do Search & Rescue anymore I rarely truly need more than 200 Lumens and find the lower settings are used over 75% of the time. I have never had a Sidewinder come on unintentionally, but if it was me in enemy territory I would probably not chance it. Since I always carry at least 3 lights in "serious" situations, having a bright thrower and a CI6 would be a good combo. I also suggest that the lights share a common power source so different size batteries are not needed...

Thx!

All ready ordered the SW compact ii, good choice for its module attachment options. As far as turning on any light can get knocked or accidentally turned on, IMHO. Appreciate your input on that. So I didmiss that for now unless it's confirmed or varified. I have a new spare mh23, the throw is not as good as my tk41 even though it's twice the lumens. It's still very bright. Mh23 has 3x or 5x the lumens similar head size but smaller reflector due to its dual beam.
Therefore, IMO, the CI6 would not offer any advantage over the mh23 and sw c ii?
But it would be a great back up and the IR should be a lot better, agree?

Appreciate your opionion.

one is none, 3 is 1

as far as batteries the mh23 is rechargeable by usb, CI6 is not, should be available to him in the field, plus the 3500 mh battery could last a very long time. Or it takes cr123 like the ci6. Sidewinder can us AA, AA or cr123 should be easy to find in field, I would expect? I feel different battery options is an advantage. Regardless all three can use cr123. Thx again!

is the ci6 ir much better then the sidewinder is the big question?

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
CI6 far better than SW alone, but not sure if it has any real advantage over MH23 and SW together. The reflector size/Lumens is what gives it the advantage over the SW alone. I also have the new Nitecore EC4GT, 2 x 18650, 1800 Lumens. At issue is that parasitic drain-I have not had it long enough to see if that is no longer an issue(in my older EC4's I put a physical barrier between the terminals when not in use)-could be an issue if on missions that last days. Otherwise it puts out great light at a far distance for a substantial time and heat has never been an issue due to unibody construction....