New EDC search

Athecal

Newly Enlightened
18650 batteries, 1 or 2 possibly.
Budget $100
I intend to carry the light every day and would prefer to do so in the front pocket of my jeans.

I am not opposed to building my own if that is what it takes but prefer a prebuilt.

LED prefered 4500-5000k but don't really need the high CRI if it takes a cooler led to get the performance.

I would prefer a light with a tailcap switch only. 3 modes only high 500+ lumens, depending on throw would like to be able to see 50-75 yards, medium mode i would say 250 lumens would be sufficient a little more is better than less, and low mode 90-150 lumens.

I would use the light on and off all day every day for different tasks, in low mode when I have to mechanic on equipment or just generally searching for things in the barn. I live on a farm so I'm always in need of a light of different intensities for different tasks at different distances. I don't think I need to really shine out past 100 yards but 50-75 is common enough. With that being said side spilling/flooding is fine and maybe even better so long as it isn't compromising overall distance.

I would ultimately want the highest runtime possible hoping for 2 hours on high, and would mostly use low or medium brightness settings unless I absolutely needed high. But when I need high I want it first option on deck and bright enough to be useful.

Not plastic, durability is a prime consideration
Water resistance IPX7 or higher

Pocket/belt clip

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
You just described a few lights in streamlights protac series. Look into the protac hlx and I think hpl is throwier. Not going to get the led color temp but the rest is pretty much spot on.
Edit. Except for the ui which ive now seen. You want high first. With streamlights you get high, strobe, low but can program it to low, med, high. Not high, med, low. If you can live with that then they still meet the rest of what you were looking for.

Last edited:

Athecal

Newly Enlightened
Yea, I am currently carrying the protac L2-x. 500 lumen version but I was unaware that they added the low/med/high setting afer you cross a certain price point I assume. Mine only does high strobe low, high only, or high, low. The mid range setting was definitely something I was looking for I just assumed I had missed the perfect light somewhere in learning all the things about flashlights I never knew, deciphering the different jargon and daydreaming of the possibilities after reading the modding boards. I appreciate the nudge back to streamlight products, ended up ordering the Protac HL5-X which supposedly throws 3500 lumens when using dual 18650 batteries.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
A Malkoff MD2 with hi/low ring is real close to what your looking for. Just pick whatever M61 drop in you like.be a little over your price but we'll worth it.