Experimental photographer looking for bright and versatile flashlight

crimelovinfunster

Newly Enlightened
Good afternoon all! I am new to this forum and I'm going to jump straight in, so please excuse me for neglecting introductory formalities... !

I'm a photographer and I like to use tight lighting control to take experimental time-based photographs.

I've used a cheap Skyblaze XML-T6 which is powered by 18760 Li-ion rechargeable batteries, which is a power system I've invested in for other projects.
I'm impressed by the beam controllability with the lens system, and the time it lasts. I've modified it with a tungsten filter to soften the light and I've added a cardboard tube with baffles to reduce the light spillage. I've also constructed a mask to create a thin sheet of light which the effect I'm after.

However I do not believe that it's really the stated 1800 lumens and I sense that I could acquire something considerably better with some modest investment. Am I right?

I've looked around and the nearest I've found to match is the LED P7R Lenser which runs off 18760 batteries, is focusable and has a brightness rating of 1000 lumens, and at around £60 is the budget I'm happy with. It looks like I could probably modify it if the lens is removable.
However I understand that for the budget I could find something more suited to my needs.

I'm being a little lazy and haven't combed through the forums, but any suggestions to get me started?

Thanks very much and Hello! I'm Hugh, by the way :-D

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Man, you could spend days researching here and still be bewildered. So asking this question was a wise move.

Is a zoomie real important? It sounds like it may not be. Budget however is.

Do you shoot still life or a mixture of action and still? Do you use a tripod and handhold the light? Or do you need something than can be cigar style held with the camera in the same hand? Sounds like you use long shutter speeds.

I prefer a cooler beam in the 5600 to 6200 kelvin range as it seems to create less bias with a manual setting platform, which negates the need for much editing later.

Nitecore has some 1x18650 stuff that is really bright yet puts out a nice spread of light in a conical shape. And your snoot or filter will be an easy addition to the end of the barrel as it were.
LED Lenser tend to have too much blue in the beam. At least for my tastes.

I use 6200 kelvin lights by PK Design Lab as they provide a good amount of light without adding a bias of red, yellow, blue or green. Just a pure white look similar to a flash while the camera adapts. My Nikon gear plays nice with those lights. A Canon or Sony sensor may prefer a little bit more color bias as they seem to have algorithms to add more "pop" to colors pre-editing.
So the gear you use may also be a factor in the required tint of your flashlight.

But I'd say look up Streamlight and Nitecore products.

Last edited: