Looking for EDC/Tactical LED flashlight for under $60

Cruton99

Newly Enlightened
Hello i am new to this forum and i want some advice on what flashlight i should get. I have owned a surefire g2x tactical before and i liked that light. I wont buy it again because i lost it when it fell out of my pocket due to now clip. I want a flashlight that has a clip, has more than 80 lumens. I have been looking at surefire and streamlight and o light and im confused as what to get.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thare's aftermarket clips that will fit the G2X and anything with standard SF P type tails.
Darksucks.com is one manufacturer.

If you search on here for Surefire 6P clip there's plenty of hits.
P

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I strongly recommend the Streamlight Protac 2L-X model. In fact, I bought a 2nd one because I find it ideal as a true tactical light, and if anything happens to my first one; I don't have to go hunting for a replacement for it many years later after the light has been either discontinued or "improved" into possibly something far less useful.

Check it out on Streamlight's official website. I've never had an issue in which a lower setting came on, when I wanted the highest. But since the light is programmable, you can literally set the modes to the combination that works best for you, or the one you prefer. No need to cycle through modes that are useless to you, just to get to the one you want. Heck, you can even set it up to have one mode. Full-on brightness if you want. Output is closer to 500 lumens than 80. But if you prefer 80, you can again program the light. Once done. Leave it alone and it functions how you want it to.

Good pocket-clip. Not fantastic. Just good. But I've never had an issue with the light falling out of my pants pocket. Two battery options, 18650 rechargeable or 2xCR123 primaries. If you're not very knowledgeable on the types of serious issues that 18650s and similar rechargeables can cause, I'd stick with CR123s for this light. If you are knowledgeable, Streamlight has USB rechargeable 18650s that you can use in this light. Making it even more ideal.

Streamlight doesn't get a lot of attention on CPF. But only because they make incredibly reliable lights that just work. (Okay, they have literally a couple of models that should be avoided at all costs. But none of those are part of the Protac line.) Streamlight is like the Toyota of lights. Very reliable, very dependable, but nothing that folks openly brag about.

You can get the Streamlight Protac 2L-X online at a variety shops for right around $50 + shipping.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's right at the edge of your budget limit, but the Nitecore P30l is a great tactical light. It has the usual Nitecore side switch for setting modes, but it also has a tail switch for on/off and momentary on. It uses one 18650 cell, so is nice and compact. The only size difference vs the G2x lights is that the reflector is 2" in diameter instead of the G2 family's 1.25". Since I use a belt holster, that doesn't cause me any problems, but it does make it need a rather large pocket if that is where one wants to store it. It doesn't come with a clip, but since it is the standard 1" body size, any 1" clip should be usable. And right now I have seen a $35 price for it, which is almost half of its MSRP.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I strongly recommend the Streamlight Protac 2L-X model. In fact, I bought a 2nd one because I find it ideal as a true tactical light, and if anything happens to my first one; I don't have to go hunting for a replacement for it many years later after the light has been either discontinued or "improved" into possibly something far less useful.

Check it out on Streamlight's official website. I've never had an issue in which a lower setting came on, when I wanted the highest. But since the light is programmable, you can literally set the modes to the combination that works best for you, or the one you prefer. No need to cycle through modes that are useless to you, just to get to the one you want. Heck, you can even set it up to have one mode. Full-on brightness if you want. Output is closer to 500 lumens than 80. But if you prefer 80, you can again program the light. Once done. Leave it alone and it functions how you want it to.

Good pocket-clip. Not fantastic. Just good. But I've never had an issue with the light falling out of my pants pocket. Two battery options, 18650 rechargeable or 2xCR123 primaries. If you're not very knowledgeable on the types of serious issues that 18650s and similar rechargeables can cause, I'd stick with CR123s for this light. If you are knowledgeable, Streamlight has USB rechargeable 18650s that you can use in this light. Making it even more ideal.

Streamlight doesn't get a lot of attention on CPF. But only because they make incredibly reliable lights that just work. (Okay, they have literally a couple of models that should be avoided at all costs. But none of those are part of the Protac line.) Streamlight is like the Toyota of lights. Very reliable, very dependable, but nothing that folks openly brag about.

You can get the Streamlight Protac 2L-X online at a variety shops for right around $50 + shipping.

Along those lines, Streamlight also makes the smaller Protac 1L-1AA, which runs on either a single CR123A or a single AA, this is about a s big of a light as I would personally carry as a casual EDC. I usually carry mine programmed to high only running an AA Eneloop.