Deciding between a AAA light or CR123 x2 light for trip to Hawaii

macbitt

Newly Enlightened
Traveling to Hawaii for two weeks. Taking flashlights for some outdoor actives, but not sure which ones. We plan to see some caves and a lava tube (all tourist level stuff) in Maui. Will also be hiking during the day in Maui and Kauai, staying on popular trails. I'm debating between my Fenix PD32 (340 lumens) or Fenix LD01 (72 lumens). I don't EDC a flashlight.

The PD32 is my usual for camping, hiking and when I know I'll need a light. The LD01 is used for travel and when I might need a light. We'll also be taking a similar sized flashlight for my wife, based on which Fenix I go with. We have headlamps available, but I don't expect to need a handsfree setup.

I initially was going with the PD32, as it is my usual hiking light. But the LD01 is being considered because of its size and weight. I can keep it on me all the time more easily. We're doing carry on only, so every ounce counts. We can't keep stuff in the rental car, so everything must be carried. And I'm not sure if I'll take a backpack on days we're not hiking. My concern with the LD01 is not enough throw.

Regardless of the choice I'll also have a Fenix E01 when hiking (part of my emergency prep kit).

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I used to EDC the LD01 for years; it is perhaps the finest all-around 1xAAA light ever made IMO. My only complaint is that it can be rather thirsty, and single AAA cells just don't have the capacity.

As you mention that space is limited, I would rule out the 2xCR123 light, as I have found them just too bulky (have also EDC'd that cell configuration as well).

My preferred EDC setup for lightweight traveling is a 2xAAA penlight for more output, with a 1xAAA LD01 in reserve. Carrying a couple of spare AAA Eneloops really seals the deal IMO, as they can fuel either light. I imagine that complete setup would be lighter /and/ less bulky than the single 2xCR123 light, as well as being far more flexible IMO.

I did this sort of thing with a lightweight AK winter trip and it worked out perfectly. My reserve light was a 1xAAA Mako, which mirrors your E01 nicely. I detailed this setup in my thread below - there are a few good travel pics there as well.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am assuming you don't plan on taking a charger with you, although there are some very nice single cell LiIon chargers out there.

My EDC is the Nitecore EA11. It is dual fuel 14500/AA. At 900 lumens the 14500 is the preferred way to go, but you will need a charger, and a spare cell w/carrier wouldn't hurt. With the AA, you still get 160 lumens max, and one can find AA cells almost anywhere, although they will probably be more expensive in Hawaii (anything not produced locally is more expensive there due to shipping costs).

Nitecore also has several single and double AA lights available, some with built-in USB charging. Since all I have ever purchased is either Nitecore or Lumintop, I can't speak to any other brands.

nbp

Flashaholic
Visit McGizmo while you're on Maui and buy one of the finest flashlights ever made personally from the man himself! You'll have a great light to use on the trip and a souvenir that will last you a lifetime and will remind you of your trip every time you use it.

macbitt

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm going to go with the two AAA lights we have, with some spare Eneloop batteries. Seems others have gotten along with similar lights. And I'm a fan of take what you need, not what you might need.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?419020-Ultralight-packing-for-Alaska-bush-flying-pic-heavy

Awesome. I love me a good packing guide.

Visit McGizmo while you're on Maui and buy one of the finest flashlights ever made personally from the man himself! You'll have a great light to use on the trip and a souvenir that will last you a lifetime and will remind you of your trip every time you use it.

Tempting, but not in the market right now. Plus not in the trip budget ;)

nbp

Flashaholic
Compared to the thousands of dollars you will spend on your two week trip to HI, what's another $400 for something you can use and love and then pass down to your kids? ;)

Have a great trip!