ICR10180 battery charger redux

kerf

Newly Enlightened
OK, I found the battery charger that came with the flashlight (Lummi Wee Da) to charge it's ICR10180 batteries. The charger is a "nano NBC-A001". It fits a AAA battery. The charger also has a 5 MM diameter X 18 MM long rare earth spacer magnet. I think that it probably came with additional magnets; if it did, I can't find them. With the magnet and battery placed in the charger, it is still about 8 MM shy of engaging both of the charger's contacts. I've been searching online for another magnet (5 MM X 8 MM or any other suitable diameter so long as it's about 8 MM long) to make up the space, but without success. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Edit: found some on an auction site, but would prefer to buy from an online vendor that supports hobbyists.

Also, the ones that I found don't have the grooves along the cylinder, like the spacer that I have. Forgive my ignorance, but is the grooving on the spacer preferable / necessary?

Thanks!

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The spacer doesn't have to be a magnet. You could use a metal bolt or other conductive object.

If the specs I'm seeing on that charger are accurate, I wouldn't want to use it for a 10180 battery. Those small batteries should be charged at somewhere in the range of 50-100mA. The specs I'm seeing for "Nano NBC-A001" indicate it charges at 450mA.

For other options: In the thread for the Omicron custom 10180 flashlight, at least one user said he actually uses another 10180 flashlight that has a built-in charger or a screw-on charging adapter for charging his Omicron battery.

The other recommendation is a "Veleno USB charger," but looking around, I get the impression this charger is no longer in production.

kerf

Newly Enlightened
The spacer doesn't have to be a magnet. You could use a metal bolt or other conductive object.

If the specs I'm seeing on that charger are accurate, I wouldn't want to use it for a 10180 battery. Those small batteries should be charged at somewhere in the range of 50-100mA. The specs I'm seeing for "Nano NBC-A001" indicate it charges at 450mA.

For other options: In the thread for the Omicron custom 10180 flashlight, at least one user said he actually uses another 10180 flashlight that has a built-in charger or a screw-on charging adapter for charging his Omicron battery.

The other recommendation is a "Veleno USB charger," but looking around, I get the impression this charger is no longer in production.

Thank you, iamlucky13. Will the Nano NBC-A001 damage the 10180 batteries, or is it an issue with efficiency?

Thanks!

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most lithium ion batteries are recommended to be charged over 1-2 hours or more. Some can handle being charged most of the way in about 30 minutes without too much stress, but that's not recommended to do regularly. 450mA would charge an 80mAh battery most of the way in about 10 minutes. I'd be concerned about damaging the battery with that much current.

schuster

Newly Enlightened
I wanted an external charger for my UltraTac K18 and happened upon the Amazon listing for a new US$14 TrustFire model:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K87LKRP/?tag=cpf0b6-20

It's a crummy flashlight:
  • 30% lower output than the competition
  • weird driver programming (the unwanted strobe mode comes IN BETWEEN low and high) and finicky mode switching
  • flickering output
  • loosening the head enough to prevent activation in your pocket, it is loose enough to simply fall off and be lost.

However, it has the standard integrated charger, making the package much cheaper than the brass DQG charging head/capsule combo would cost to import from China.

Also comes with a "don't trust any battery with *fire in its brand name" 10180 cell which could make a decent emergency spare.

Last edited:

kerf

Newly Enlightened
I wanted an external charger for my UltraTac K18 and happened upon the Amazon listing for a new US$14 TrustFire model:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K87LKRP/?tag=cpf0b6-20

It's a crummy flashlight:
  • 30% lower output than the competition
  • weird driver programming (the unwanted strobe mode comes IN BETWEEN low and high) and finicky mode switching
  • flickering output
  • loosening the head enough to prevent activation in your pocket, it is loose enough to simply fall off and be lost.

However, it has the standard integrated charger, making the package much cheaper than the brass DQG charging head/capsule combo would cost to import from China.

Also comes with a "don't trust any battery with *fire in its brand name" 10180 cell which could make a decent emergency spare.

Thanks schuster!