Help Me Select A Jump Start Pack

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the time of the year, when it gets colder and closer to the holidays, that jump start packs seem to be showing up in the brick and mortar stores. have used the sealed lead acid battery type at work. Now, I want to buy one for myself. Help me select one. It should be large enough to jump start a Ram 1500 eight cylinder pickup, if necessary.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello JAS,

I have been very happy with the NOCO Genius GB150.

With passenger vehicles it does a good job at about 50% charge. This is where I like to have it for longer term storage. If I am working with heavy duty trucks it needs to be at 100% to handle glow plugs and air heaters.

Tom

scout24

Flashaholic
Links? I'll happily merge them. I didn't see a recent one with a cursory search, may be good to let it stand as tech and models update as time goes by.

Last edited:

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are top two choices, I personally have the anti gravity, I'd like to get a noco for redundancy but I already have a dual battery kit for redundancy purposes. Its stored in vehicle in winter and summer months, still cranks cars over and over again.

Antigravity XP-10 Microstart. Enough Power to jump a Diesel Truck!! 600 CCA FULL WARRANTY IF PURCHASED FROM BILLET PROOF DESIGNS FOR $179 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015T8KN5Y/?tag=cpf0b6-20

NOCO Genius Boost HD GB70 2000 Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016UG6PWE/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
I'll plug my shop made auto and diesel truck emergency starter. From a different thread on the topic:

"The quality hand held boosters will start good size v-6 engines with the battery entirely removed from the car. Anti-Gravity units will. Especially the Heavy Duty unit. The purpose is not to partially recharge the low or dead car battery. They are made for immediate starting. Back in the Chevy V-8 days, starter motors required around 250 Amps to work. Todays starters in smaller engines require significantly less. The Lipo style battery in the small Anti-Gravity starter unit is only 3.6 Ah. The battery in the Heavy Duty unit is about 6.6 Ah. There's video of the HD unit providing 330 Amps to an electronic load. It maintains about 9.5 Volts or so for well over the time it requires an engine to start.

I just got through making my own unit using a LiFeP04 pack which provides a slightly higher Voltage than do the Lipo based starters and much safer to keep in the vehicle. And if you don't think an extra Volt of Volt and a half makes a difference, it's huge. Not to mention virtually no self-discharge of this LiFeP04 chemistry pack." With the stock battery temporarily removed from a friends Chrysler SRT8 V-8, the engine kicked over and started in less than 1.5 seconds.

Last edited:

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll plug my shop made auto and diesel truck emergency starter. From a different thread on the topic:

"The quality hand held boosters will start good size v-6 engines with the battery entirely removed from the car. Anti-Gravity units will. Especially the Heavy Duty unit. The purpose is not to partially recharge the low or dead car battery. They are made for immediate starting. Back in the Chevy V-8 days, starter motors required around 250 Amps to work. Todays starters in smaller engines require significantly less. The Lipo style battery in the small Anti-Gravity starter unit is only 3.6 Ah. The battery in the Heavy Duty unit is about 6.6 Ah. There's video of the HD unit providing 330 Amps to an electronic load. It maintains about 9.5 Volts or so for well over the time it requires an engine to start.

I just got through making my own unit using a LiFeP04 pack which provides a slightly higher Voltage than do the Lipo based starters and much safer to keep in the vehicle. Not to mention virtually no self-discharge."

Damn... that's pretty ballsy. Haha

BVH

Flashaholic
I was very disappointed to find that the Anti Gravity battery literature significantly over-quotes their battery AmpHour size. They DO work, however. But the very thing that kills a Lipo is to store it fully charged - and that's what you want for an emergency starter. That's the beauty of LiFeP04. Virtually no self discharge and the extra Volt to Volt and a half when actually starting the vehicle.

I've had 3 genuine AntiGravity packs - 2 auto size and one truck size - actually bought from the AntiGravity site, not a gray market, puff and bulge the cases. No more for me.

Tha AntiGravity brand cables and clips in the pic are very good. Larger than most small starter clips and the cable is 7AWG.

Last edited:

snakyjake

Enlightened
What about super capacitor jump starter?
Examples:
RescueMate 12-Volt Super Capacitor Jump Starter

I like the idea that it can recharge itself.

Last edited:

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still dragging my, um, feet on buying one of these. Has anybody seen any killer pre-Christmas sales on any of these?

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
TyPSaZn.jpg

i DIY'ed this pack from A123 anr26650m1a cells. sufficient to jump my cars, honda fit and ford ecosport. both 1.5L 4cyl. for bigger cars just add more cells in parallel

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
TyPSaZn.jpg

i DIY'ed this pack from A123 anr26650m1a cells. sufficient to jump my cars, honda fit and ford ecosport. both 1.5L 4cyl. for bigger cars just add more cells in parallel
Only an overclocker can do this. For the general public that's not aware of the inherent dangers of DIY, I suggest purchasing a reputable jumpstarter that has necessary safety features

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
We started using a Rugged Geek RG1000 a few days ago at work. I like it. I might just buy one of these for myself.

In the true spirit Candle Power Forums, would the LED flashlight that is on-board be worthy of replacement with something with more lumens?

https://ruggedgeek.com/

Last edited: