Utility Flashlight for Mounting in Fleet Vehicles?

LEDLynx

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any experience with deploying a light in fleet vehicles (ambulances, cruisers, etc.)?

I'm looking for a light that has a secure charging cradle / mount like the Inova TR4 that I can wire into the vehicles, BUT I'm also looking for a light that (1) can be stored in the cradle long-term (i.e., no long-term damage from overcharging) and (2) will work reliably even if when it's grabbed out of the cradle in a freezing vehicle on the night shift.

So, essentially I'm looking for:
  • Bright and robust
  • charging cradle that automatically discontinues charging
  • Battery that will put up with usage at freezing temps

I realize that I might have to do some hacking or part-swapping to achieve these goals, and that's OK with me. I just want something that can sit in a vehicle overnight and be pulled out of its cradle charged and ready to go without the users needing to pay attention to battery level or anything else.

Thanks everyone!

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Utility Flashlight For Mounting In Fleet Vehicles?

When I first became a member here, I had pretty much used flashlight exclusively that charged in a cradle. Generally speaking, there is not a huge amount of interest in those types of flashlights on CPF for various reasons. With that out of the way, I am familiar, to one degree or another, with the following:

-Streamlights (You have a number of choices there, including Stingers and Strions)

-Mag-Lite

-Inova, like you mentioned

-Pelican (7060 and 8060)

-Fenix RC20

-Nitecore (R25 and R40)

Do you have any certain size in mind? I "cut my teeth" with a Streamlight SL-20 years ago. some of us installed an SL-35 module for more light, but less run time. It is a big light. The list above is by no means all of those available. It just happens to be a few that come to mind. You may have to individually research each light and read the reviews to see which of those, if any, will meet your needs.

As far as charging when it is parked, that is more of an issue in how it is installed, in my way of thinking. I assume your ambulances are plugged in all of the time when they are in the garage? The ambulances I have used typically are plugged into shoreline power. When there is a call and someone goes to use it, they unplug the AC cord, reach for the rotary switch that is marked BATTERY OFF, BATTERY 1, BATTERY 2 or BOTH, and start the rig. At least, that is how it was on ones I am familiar with.

Herre is an older thread of mine on this topic.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...n-A-Charging-Cradle&highlight=Charging+cradle

Oh, and since I am up on my "soapbox" now, I will mention a couple of other things, too. Get traffic wands for whatever light you get. I have seen way too many cops and firefighters try to direct traffic with just a flashlight. It isn't very effective. Get a traffic wand.

Having a light that will also work on regular batteries is a great idea. Unfortunately, many/most of the ones I mentioned use a proprietary battery pack. However, the Fenix RC20 at first glance appeared to use a regular 18650 battery, but other places state that it is a proprietary battery.

The Nitecores might be worthy of a closer look. The R25 specifically uses an 18650 battery. It could be powered by a pair of 123s, if necessary.

Another thing you should consider, too, is talking to your neighboring agencies about what they use. I know over the years when certain equipment came out I would often talk with people to see how it works for them.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Utility Flashlight For Mounting In Fleet Vehicles?

You might also consider the Olight R50 Pro Seeker LE.

The limiting factor will be the temperature extremes in the vehicle's interior. Summer and winter are both tough on lithium ion batteries.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/discharging_at_high_and_low_temperatures

You might consider non-rechargeable devices powered by primary cells for long term vehicle storage. Another alternative is to equip your employees with lights small enough to be carried on their person. These could be powered by primary or rechargeable batteries.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

You might consider non-rechargeable devices powered by primary cells for long term vehicle storage. Another alternative is to equip your employees with lights small enough to be carried on their person. These could be powered by primary or rechargeable batteries.
Probably at the extreme low end of a personally carried light would be the Nitecore MT6MD. It is a two AAA cell light using a Nichia emitter to obtain a High CRI for more accurate color rendition, and is RG0 certified. It provides a reliable 80-100 lumens (rated at 190, but we know all about that, don't we) and an effective range of about twenty yards. IMO a light like this should be issued to every First Responder that may have medical responsibilities.

Regardless, each unit should have a second light available, under the principle that "Two is One, and One is None." This is especially important when human lives are involved.

My personal recommendation: A Streamlight E-Flood Lantern that uses a sealed lead acid battery, which is less susceptible to cold, and can be wired into the vehicle's wiring system. Any reliable hand-held light that uses CR123 cell, again for cold tolerance, and more flexibility of use than the much larger E-Flood. And each personnel would carry the MT6MD using lithium primary AAA cells. Extra CR123 and AAA cells could be stored in the vehicle, with an after situation checklist point of making sure any of the extra cells that had been used have been replaced. With quantity discounts one would be looking at somewhere around $300 plus installation of the E-Flood.

[A cheaper alternative to the E-Flood would be the Streamlight Survivor Right angle rechargeable light with the 12v DC charger (which includes a 120v charger and an alternate AA battery pack). It uses a 4.8v Ni-cad battery, which I believe is less susceptible to cold than Li-Ions are. I wouldn't recommend the 12v fast charger, as it is my understanding that fast charging Ni-cad cells shortens their life.]

LEDLynx

Newly Enlightened

Thanks everyone; this is very helpful. It will be a while before any decisions get made, but this list gives me some directions to explore.

Great call on the traffic wands (assuming that not every last one of them gets lost in the first three shifts)!

Decableguy2000

Newly Enlightened

We have Streamlight Liteboxes in our bucket trucks. They are available in spot or flood. Only down side is bulkiness.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast

On most of our ambulances we have the streamlight liteboxes but we do have a couple of Knucklehead spot versions and they are much more convenient to grab and use (For those without a light) the downside is it's easier to get lost than the liteboxes.

mcm308

Enlightened
Streamlight Ultrastinger gets my vote. Comes with a 12V vehicle charger/cradle with a cig plug but you can cut it off and wire it any way you choose. Im sure Streamlight has other LED options these days with 12V charging capabilities but Incandescent has it pros over LED for emergency situations on or off the road.