Fenix HM51R (EU market special) - 500/150/30/3lm, direct red light, no autostepdown

Frank W

Newly Enlightened
Anybody tried this one yet? A new custom model by Fenix for the EU market by (supposedly) popular demand in coop with one EU distributor. Similar to HM50R, but:
  • NO automatic gradual stepping down*, each mode (except Turbo for heat reasons of course) stays at constant output (ie flat curves, unlike HM50R and some recent others)
  • 4lm red light, with double-click shortcut direct from off to get into red light mode (unlike HL60R, where the red is unusable because you have to cycle through all the modes including turbo to get to red)
  • neutral (4000-5000K) white XP-G3
  • magnetic tail-cap

*) not so good for climbing or other activity where the gradual step-down ("extended runtime" or whatever do they call that in marketing) is preferable when you can't easily change the cell atm, but IMHO more preferable for normal hiking and other activities

My last headlamp from Fenix is the HL35 - precisely because it allows me to turn the red light on independently from the main light, a must-be feature I voiced to them often. This one looks pretty interesting too, if I was in a market for a smaller one. I would not mind if they made a tube extender for AA or 14650 cells if the driver allowed it, although that's probably too much to ask for :)

hope this is not just a one-off but it makes it into the regular catalogue :)

Only info in English I was able to find in the video desc.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpea5149NsU

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just stumbled across that video while looking for a review on the CL23 lantern. I really wish this headlamp was available in the US as I want the magnetic tailcap. I currently edc an Olight H1 and want to go to the HM50R but I don't want to loose the magnetic tailcap