Please recommend a light for a Scout

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened
My 14-year-old Boy Scout is taking a week-long camping trip in New Mexico in August, and I'd like to get him a light. He has a Fenix E01, and I'd like to get him a second light with 2 or three modes. I'd like to keep it inexpensive; he's not ready for a Zebralight. Besides the cost of a ZL, he wouldn't appreciate the complexity. (I do though!)

Features I'd like:
AA preferred, AAA okay
2 or 3 modes
Comes on in low mode
Neutral, warm or at least not cold tint
Clip and/or keyring
$25 or under​

I have an Olight I3S that is a candidate, but are there other lights I should consider? Thanks.

Last edited:

PartyPete

Enlightened
I introduced my son's pack to the Wowtac (Atactical) A1 for $20 and they all love them. Within a month more than half of them picked up one.

I was thinking AA/AAA as well but the value and performance is good and charging is still easy with the included USB cell.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Pelican 1910 or 1920. Same cells as the E01 so less to carry, more throw, and multiple modes. Decent pocketclip. Made here, and Pelican's "Scout proof" warranty... 😁 My 1910 is a crisp white, no blue.

Edit- My son did a week at Philmont for High Adventure about 10 years ago, and loved it...

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened
Pelican 1910 or 1920. Same cells as the E01 so less to carry, more throw, and multiple modes. Decent pocketclip. Made here, and Pelican's "Scout proof" warranty...  My 1910 is a crisp white, no blue.

Edit- My son did a week at Philmont for High Adventure about 10 years ago, and loved it...
This is a Philmont trip!

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to Philmont for two weeks when I was in Boy Scouts, and it was an awesome experience. I wish that I had a decent LED light back then instead of my official BSA 2D cell angle head light.

I think that a Fenix E12 with a 4-pack of Energizer Ultimate Lithium cells would be a good choice for a week long adventure. The E12 has respectable brightness and runtime, and will stand up well to rugged use. Be sure to get (or make) a lanyard to go with it.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a light in mind just yet, but would suggest that you offer a reminder to use the lowest mode possible for the task. Whenever I give my kids multi mode lights it's on full tilt without even a though as to why or what is really needed. I can just watch the battery going down down.....

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a light in mind just yet, but would suggest that you offer a reminder to use the lowest mode possible for the task. Whenever I give my kids multi mode lights it's on full tilt without even a though as to why or what is really needed..
Absolutely, good advice.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got Xeno E03's for my kids. They work great. I think they come on in medium though.

Another contender that comes to mind, but above your stated budget, would be the Eagletac D25A Clicky or non-Clicky. Great little lights, I EDC'd one for years.

Dave MP

Newly Enlightened
Al Thumbs,
Pick which one you would like him to carry.

I will send your choice out within the week, free of charge.

Streamlight ProTac, 250LM (2AA)

Fenix LD22 (2014), 215LM (2AA)

Both are used and work as new.

Sos24

Enlightened
My favorite AA lights are the Fenix LD12 and and EagleTac D25A. The are both durable and reliable with various modes. They have more modes than probably needed but those modes are easily avoided.

scout24

Flashaholic
Al Thumbs,
Pick which one you would like him to carry.

I will send your choice out within the week, free of charge.

Streamlight ProTac, 250LM (2AA)

Fenix LD22 (2014), 215LM (2AA)

Both are used and work as new.

:clap::clap: Very generous Dave MP!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume he will be staying in a tent. I realize they are a little higher than $25, but the Nitecore LA30 and LR30 make good area lights. The LA30 has a built-in Li-Ion cell, but will also take AA cells. The LR30 takes 1 18650 or 2 CR123A cells. Unless he has access to AC for a charger, I would send a few CR123A cells along.
A cheaper light that will also act as an area light is the Nitecore LA10/LA10 CRI. It takes one AA cell. The CRI version costs $5 more, so it comes down to how picky one wants to be with color rendition.

If you just want another small pocket light, the Lumintop Tool AA would be a good choice, and it comes with a snap-on diffuser to make it into a sort of area light. I have several Tool AAAs, and really like them. And I agree, the lithium AAs would be the way to go.

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened
Re: Please recommend a light for a Scout/WE HAVE A WINNER

If you just want another small pocket light, the Lumintop Tool AA would be a good choice, and it comes with a snap-on diffuser to make it into a sort of area light. I have several Tool AAAs, and really like them. And I agree, the lithium AAs would be the way to go.

All of these suggestions have been good, and I have checked each out. I have settled on the Lumintop Tool AA, which will run AA, has three useful modes, a diffusor and a tail clicky, which the boy will like. And a reversible clip to fit on a baseball cap! It's also a deal at $18. I have a bias for the Fenix lights, as I have had a few and like them. Was leaning toward the Fenix LD12, but the clicky sways me.

Special shout-out to Dave MP for his generous offer. I declined because I wanted to go with a single AA. Thanks again, Dave, and all who contributed.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast

FYI there are two models out there. A Tool AA with 3 modes and a Tool AA 2.0 version that has 5 modes with disco modes.

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened

FYI there are two models out there. A Tool AA with 3 modes and a Tool AA 2.0 version that has 5 modes with disco modes.
I did see that. I was unable to get the original, Lumintop is selling the 2.0 on Amazon. Would have preferred the original, because it came with both the clicky and a magnetic tail cap.

PartyPete

Enlightened
I think that a Fenix E12 with a 4-pack of Energizer Ultimate Lithium cells would be a good choice for a week long adventure. The E12 has respectable brightness and runtime, and will stand up well to rugged use. Be sure to get (or make) a lanyard to go with it.

This has been my go to light for my son over the last few years of scout camping trips.

Has seen its fair share of drops and water and still works fine. I've accidentally sent it through the washing machine a few times too.

I think the biggest surprise is he hasn't lost it yet, which is impressive. Good light though, bright enough but not too bright and is conservative for batteries on low modes.

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened
I think the biggest surprise is he hasn't lost it yet, which is impressive.
This is the thing. I'd spend for a Zebralight, but I expect him to lose this first light. He won't appreciate a great light at 14. Youth is wasted on the young!

Lumin8r

Newly Enlightened
How about the Utorch UT01? It runs on a single AA, Ni MH or LI 14500. It has four brightness levels and 3 special modes. 5000K neutral white, Cree XPL LED. It's is very affordable and seems to be quite popular lately. Its not too much light for a youngster if it gets lost and is compact, lightweight, and solid. I think it checks a lot of the boxes that are desired for a second or primary EDC. I am surprised it has not been mention yet and curious about what others think about this one?

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
In addition to the Tool 2.0, I'd also give him a Nitecore Tube on a lanyard.

I gave a 17-y.o. Boy Scout a Tube on a Lanyard and his tent mates and friends were like, "Where did you get that!" It lit up his whole tent.

If he gets up in the middle of the night, at its initial setting of 1 lumen, he won't wake anyone up and he can ramp it as high as he wants.

He can use the Tube just for getting to sleep at night. If he uses the Tool 2.0 as his primary light, it's also a teachable moment on the importance of having at least one backup. :)

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to the Tool 2.0, I'd also give him a Nitecore Tube on a lanyard.

I gave a 17-y.o. Boy Scout a Tube on a Lanyard and his tent mates and friends were like, "Where did you get that!" It lit up his whole tent.

If he gets up in the middle of the night, at its initial setting of 1 lumen, he won't wake anyone up and he can ramp it as high as he wants.

He can use the Tube just for getting to sleep at night. If he uses the Tool 2.0 as his primary light, it's also a teachable moment on the importance of having at least one backup. :)
Good idea. When you are going to be depending on your light for all your activities at night, you can never have too many lights [within reason]. A hand (belt) carry light for when one is mobile, an area light for the living space, and a third light always available in case something happens to one of the others. If there were some way one could make sure it didn't 'disappear' I would say send along a small solar panel, an an instance of how to be prepared.