What's the difference?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just looking at the new Nitecore EC30. In the specs it stated that an IMR18650 high drain Li-Ion was recommended, while an 18650 capable of over 8A was only compatible. Are there 18650 configurations that are not IMR [or I assume INR as well] that are capable of over 8A as a steady drain?

BTW. the EC30 looks to be a nice light, but since I already have an EA11 that fits my needs for EDC, and a TM16GT for when I need to reach out and see someone, I don't think I will be adding it to my collection. I can't wait to see some serious reviews from our review kings.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just looking at the new Nitecore EC30. In the specs it stated that an IMR18650 high drain Li-Ion was recommended, while an 18650 capable of over 8A was only compatible. Are there 18650 configurations that are not IMR [or I assume INR as well] that are capable of over 8A as a steady drain?

Well, the Sanyo NCR18650-GA is a 10 amp cell. It's a nice high-capacity cell too.

However, all modern cells now are hybrids. They all use cobalt, nickel, and manganese in some proportion. So essentially, they're all "IMR" or "INR" cells. The prefix is just a manufacturer's product code.

You have to look at the spec sheet to find out whether a cell is high or low drain. The prefix is just an indication of what it might be. But, yeah, usually IMR or INR indicates it's a high-drain cell, and ICR or NCR indicates it's a high-capacity cell.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
As W.I.T.L. states, just about everything's a hybrid, so besides the low (~2500mAh) and high (3000mAh +) capacities, I cut them off at 10A, or under and then everything that can handle greater than 10A continuous.

If you have a single mode light that demands 10A, the Sanyo-Panasonic NCR-GA should be able to handle that, but 10A is at its redline and while the cell shouldn't melt down, you're not going to be using it for very long, at a constant 10A.

Something like the Samsung 30Q and its 15A threshold will suffice and give you a little headroom.

Now, my Emisar D4 quad would tax the 30Q if I ran turbo all of the time, so maybe the Sony VTC-5a would be a better choice in that light?

It all depends.

Turbo once in a while to show off in front of your dog? No problem with a 10A cell in your light. If you're using it constantly on high, while gigging for frogs, then perhaps the 30Q is more appropriate?

Chris

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, you don't want to be exceeding the specs of the battery for very long. I'm not sure what the problem with that is, but heat is certainly an issue. Some specs do allow you to use much higher "burst" drains than the rated constant-use drain, as long as you stay below 80C or whatever. But there may be a chemical reason for not exceeding the amp rating for extended periods of time. Maybe like there's a chemical reason for not charging below freezing (something about the lithium ions not able to be transported quickly enough, and they plate out?). I dunno.

Anyway, as Chris mentioned, the Samsung INR18650-30Q is a great all-purpose cell. High drain, reasonably high capacity, very robust, fairly inexpensive. What's not to like?