"Operation Handwarmer" - brightest smallest incan EDC

Minimoog

Enlightened
I have been going back over the forum to find the smallest brightest incan EDC made, but all of them seem to be Mag based and not so small. I'm talking more than 20 Watts bright.

Has anyone done this? What was it based on?

Anyway, I am having a go myself - "Operation Handwarmer" has started. Basically components are:

2 x 18350 Vapcell IMR (new high current high capacity cells)
6 Volt 20 Watt MES halogen overdriven to 7.5 - so 26 or so Watts (like R.O.P. High). 7.6 Volts + 3.5 Amps + 26 Watts. Tested to 8V, 3.6A = 29 Watts (fresh batts).
Old No.8 host torch with adjustable cammed reflector with resistance fixes.
So 10+ Minutes of white hot incan goodness.

These No.8 torches were popular before the 1960's in the UK (and maybe elsewhere). Tiny things, about 4.5" long and slim apart from the reflector.

And that's basically it! I tested with my PSU while I wait for the batteries and it is amazing bright - and because the torch is 100% metal apart from the fibre insulator the only limit is how much heat you can hold :ironic: but I will limit it to 1 minute 'burns' to keep things under control!

So if similar has been done before I would love to read about it.

If I take pictures of the build what is the best way to share them here? Can I upload direct?

Minimoog

Enlightened
Thanks! Good to see that - thanks for the link. Which one do you use?

Minimoog

Enlightened
I have 2x18350 but gonna place an order for 2x18500 also. So nice little thing. Focusable head and bulb is WOW.

How many Watts? I always struggle to find any bi-pin bulbs apart from the 12V ones for house lights - but if you can get hold of them it looks great.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
2x18350 is such a good EDC form factor IMO.

Back in the day, we /almost/ got an ROP in a 2xAA Minimag; the tech had just gotten there with the IMR14500 cell, and Fivemega appeared to have a marginal interest. However, that was about the same time as an overall decline in forum interest on hotwires tho ...

Last edited:

Kellygen

Banned
"Operation Handwarmer" brightest smallest incan EDC

I actually carry both and the only reason I carry the incan is for work because I work on copiers and laser printers and the LED lights are to bright for certain copier drums, other than that I would only carry LED lights.