need recommendation for >1000meter light and modders who are well regarded

mdmvrockford

Newly Enlightened
The requested recommendation is listed in title.

Also for this newbie reading CPF, it appears custom modder Vinh Nguyen (Skylumen) is very highly regarded. As stated in checklist item #6 below,
I looked at Skylumen's site and Acebeam T21vn appears to meet all of my criteria. But since this is a large monetary purchase, I'd like to comparison shop with another well-regarded modder (not cheaper) besides Skylumen (Vinh Nguyen).

Thank you.

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
__x__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
__x__Up to $300.
__x__Maybe up to $500 [if split light purchase with friend but then would have to share light:( ]

3) Format:
__x__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
_ x___MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
I want the body diameter (where mainly place hands) <=30mm (e.g. like Olight M3XS-UT Javelot or Acebeam21). I do not want body diameter of soda can size (e.g. not want form factor of ThruniteTN42 nor Fenix TK75 nor Acebeam K70

_x__LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.

5) Emitter/Light source:

__x__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
I am aware if dedomed LED then longevity may be decreased. That is why I want quality manufacturer/well-respected modder. Please note expected use of this prospective light is at most once a week at maximum output.

6) Manufacturer:

__x__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
Besides Olight M3XS-UT Javelot and Surefire large baton (e.g. M3LT or UDR Dominator) (but Surefire is out of price range) what else is there from OEM?

__x__I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
For modders/custom made, I see this post on CPF search: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?56075-CPF-Modder-s-quot-Yellow-Pages-quot and last listing mentions Skylumen (Vinh Nguyen). He appears to be highly well regarded on CPF. I looked at Skylumen's site and Acebeam T21vn appears to meet all of my criteria. But since this is a large monetary purchase, I'd like to comparison shop with another well-regarded modder (not cheaper) beside Skylumen (Vinh Nguyen).

7) What power source do you want to use?
__x__I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
__x__I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
__x__I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

__x__SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

__x__Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.
(Specifically want enough light OTF where at 500 meters objects are very well lit: like the far distant kangaroos in this post: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hrunite-TN42&p=5097390&viewfull=1#post5097390

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
__x__150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)
(Specifically want enough light where at 500 meters objects are very well lit: like the far distant kangaroos in this post: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hrunite-TN42&p=5097390&viewfull=1#post5097390

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
__x__30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
__x__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
__x__I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
__x__I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
__x__I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
Do not mind if secondary mode switch on side (like Olight M3XS-UT Javelot or Acebeam V21vn).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
__x__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
<= 1 lumen (moonlight/firefly mode) would be nice but not essential.
__x__I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
(not essential; if had to choose only one <=1 lumen vs. strobe, I'd want the former)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
__x__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
__x__Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
__x__Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
I realize very doubtful will find SS or Ti that will be in my price range.

15) Water resistance
__x__IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
__x__In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
__x__Emergency kit (long standby periods)
(will be in trunk of cold car at times down to at most -20C)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
__x__Holster
__x__Crenulated bezel
(NOT essential but would be nice)

Last edited: