Experts Needed (Olight S1R II Baton questions)

zephyr424

Newly Enlightened
Just curious what the expert or more experienced opinions are on the Olight S1R2 To Baton flashlights? The spring, summer, autumn, winter and eternal models to be exact. The things I'm wondering about are value, quality, general opinions on these compared to similar products or their competition. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide [emoji846]

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Experts Needed! (get in here)

The simple answer is that the entire baton light line are solid and well designed tools. They are intended for close to medium distance and are a "controlled flood" that lights up an area so if you want "distance punch" this might not be the right light, though they are all capable of pushing out enough photons that they do have a pretty good reach 30+ yards or more.

My baton took over the coveted position of "night stand light" and for something to take that role it has to go low enough to move around the house without waking my wife, and still be able to be bright enough for me to see the treeline at the back of my yard (just over a football field) and that light can do both.

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
I bought 2 of the aluminum version at 6500K during the introductory flash sale. I gave one to a non flashlight friend, and I kept the other.

When the seasonal series was announced, I jumped on the Fall model at 4800K which is in my preferred temperature range. These lights have all the features I am looking for in a small pocket EDC light.

They fit in the coin pocket of jeans which means I always have a light readily available.

Are they perfect/infallible? Well, no because nothing man made is. Are they really nice lights for the money, yes!

qkb8bs8.jpg
[/IMG]

zephyr424

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your opinions. I noticed in the comments section on another site some people were stoked for the Wiinter edition because of its build or looks (bead blasted titanium), but didn't like the warm white, preferring a neutral white. Can someone tell me what the difference is between the bead blasted titanium and pvd titanium as well as warm white and neutral white? Thanks

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your opinions. I noticed in the comments section on another site some people were stoked for the Wiinter edition because of its build or looks (bead blasted titanium), but didn't like the warm white, preferring a neutral white. Can someone tell me what the difference is between the bead blasted titanium and pvd titanium as well as warm white and neutral white? Thanks

Bead blasted is going be a more dull/mat finish versus the shiny gold in my picture above.

The warm white is going to be much more like a candle with yellow and orange tones. Neutral will be more like normal white light, but please understand that these are subjective things and always up for debate.

zephyr424

Newly Enlightened
Assuming the emitter is cree (curiously that info is omitted on olght's technical data list) and not a nichia, does that bother any of the owners of that light here? I heard you folks can be a finicky bunch [emoji3526]

Mark Anthony

Newly Enlightened
Warm White is an amber color (think a torch, campfire or incandescent bulb), while Neutral White is more like natural daylight. Warm White is easier on the eyes and doesn't disrupt sleep cycles as badly as Neutral or Cool white does.

SRB

Newly Enlightened
I love these lights and have collected quite the assortment of S1mini, S1R, and S1RII. Regarding the bead blasted titanium finish (my personal favorite finish), engraving is not worth the extra expense as the bead blasting almost eradicates the text. Otherwise it is a very subtle finish and should look that way forever. These are top notch lights and i would be lost without one on my person or at arms length 24x7. They also seem to be pretty bulletproof, not a failure have i had.

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
I know from my experience with the SMini and S1 Mini that this series is superb but can anyone give me a reason I should buy one if I already have the SMini?

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
I know from my experience with the SMini and S1 Mini that this series is superb but can anyone give me a reason I should buy one if I already have the SMini?

I certainly did not "need" another flashlight, but that is true with most things these days. We live in an amazing time. I remember the old days of incandescent lights. We are spoiled for choice.

I bought the new S1R because it is rechargeable, has a colored LED battery level indicator switch, and is small enough to fit into my jeans coin pocket.

I use different lights for different things, but these little lights are truly EDC lights because they are so unobtrusive.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight is a far cry from its early days as a budding competitor to Fenix. My first Olight was a T20... which wasn't a bad light, but the company has sure come a long way since then. I like their methodical approach to design. They're not "all over the place" on new models. They create a sensible flashlight design and then evolve it over time. The S Baton series is a perfect example. Very sensible, no fuss UI (and you don't need a manual to figure it out). You can't go wrong with Olight.

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
Are there any beam shots if the different editions out there? I am interested in the winter but am worried it is too warm for my liking ...

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any beam shots if the different editions out there? I am interested in the winter but am worried it is too warm for my liking ...
Me too.
They are on sale again from Olight here too but as much as I lust for the bead blasted Ti light I am not a huge fan of that warm a tint.

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
Me too.
They are on sale again from Olight here too but as much as I lust for the bead blasted Ti light I am not a huge fan of that warm a tint.

Best I have come up with is to buy spring and winter, put the spring head on winter body and then see if anyone on here wants to buy the warm-tinted frankenlight(winter head, spring body). I feel like the aluminum version would just get all scratched up like my trusty S1Mini :(

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best I have come up with is to buy spring and winter, put the spring head on winter body and then see if anyone on here wants to buy the warm-tinted frankenlight(winter head, spring body). I feel like the aluminum version would just get all scratched up like my trusty S1Mini :(
I hope you have fun with that!

I am not at all into the shiny options there so if the BB Ti is not sold in Neutral I am not a buyer for these lights.

Last year there were Mini's and I do have the Ti Mini but Shiny not BB with a Neutral emitter and it is a lot better than those colored ones to me but I still do not really like the Shiny as much as I like the BB in the end.

Just me I know,I also have no love for Copper which I figure just saves me some money!