• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New Business Tips?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
New business tips?

Every now and then I get an email about tips on starting a new business...IMO there is no one system that will work for all. But here are the quickies that seems to works for a newbie like me. Let's start with the 5 W questions from elementary.

Who are you selling to? You have to know your target buyers very well! Generally people are willing to pay if your products is cheap or exquisite. If you are starting pick one or the other. Accommodating both criteria is for the professionals.

What are you selling that is so desirable? Demands higher than supply obvious from the get go gives a good running start. Otherwise be brave, cautious, and armed.

When will this products sells? Now and in the future? We can't for see it all but research and outreach helps.

Where are your demands and how will you deliver your products? Sounds simple but it's not. A mentor once told me: "Everyone is smart. There are no shortage of smart people. Difference is, some are smart in a corner while others are smart where it counts." So…How will you deliver yourself?

Why do you want to do this? If the drive is solely money you might be bartering with the devil and your soul is collateral. If its passion then work becomes play, jobs becomes careers and luck becomes opportunities. Usually anyways. J

Be honest
Be responsible
Be courageous
Most importantly be human…We are human being afterall
Good Luck! J

Feel free to share business practice that works for you.

nbp

Flashaholic
Prompt and frequent communication with customers and good follow-through on commitments has been huge for me and has set me apart from many competitors in my small business. I can't tell you how much people appreciate calls and emails returned as soon as possible, clear and direct explanations of services and estimates, and completing jobs on schedule. If/when there are timing or cost issues, circle back to prompt and clear communication with any affected.

texas cop

Enlightened
I build and sell a few P60's around my area to fellow first responders. About 400 in the last 10 years. I picked a solid near bullet proof system. If it breaks I replace or fix as quickly as possible. Part of my advice would be. Know your product inside and out. Sell what you believe in and follow through with a buyer down the road.